.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Game suggestion

How about a lesser version of this: There is an order "Cast Spells"--how about adding "Cast Attacks" and "Cast Buffs".
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Well, mages from my experience tend to favor doing damage over buffing if they are in range for any meaningful spell so it's not really needed. And five turns worth of spells is usually enough to turn the whole battle to needed direction (not always, though).
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:58 PM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

In my experience, mages tend to favor summoning creatures who will never even reach the front lines over attack spells.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeff View Post
In my experience, mages tend to favor summoning creatures who will never even reach the front lines over attack spells.
I've noticed this too, and they will waste gems to do it, silly.

They WON'T spend gems to cast a spell you've hinged your strategy for the whole battle on, because by some evaluation algorithm it isn't worth the gem cost; then they proceed to spam summon lesser fire elemental through the entire battle, most of which don't reach the front lines, but do kill your other mages via their area effect heat.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I research Evocation very early for at least a couple of levels. And put off researching Alteration for quite awhile. Usually until I have a definite problem with some race that has a special weakness. I find that helps to avoid lots of the mage errors.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnirizon View Post
no just kidding. but really. game suggestions rarely get implemented at this point in time. and every swinging d*ck on this forum will jump at you and tell you how little you know about coding if you possibly think your suggestion has any possibility of getting added because "do you know how hard it is to add that? it is really really hard to add that one little thing" also, dominions code is, well, mature? I guess it is hard to modify and add things. plus, it is just two guys doing this game, and they are working on another one right now. "and we would much rather they work on this new thing then add any thing else to this game"
I beg to differ on two points: 1) The hardest part isn't coding it, it's being allowed to code it. Dom3 is very closed source. 2) I also would like better battle scripting options. Include here longer scripts, do exactly as I say, and more targets/options.

Quote:
your suggestion has a snowball's chance in hell. plus, five turns of scripting is part of the fun and dynamics of the game.
Well, if you only ever played checkers, could you really say that chess wouldn't be fun?
The Following User Says Thank You to pyg For This Useful Post:
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:00 AM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
Well, if you only ever played checkers, could you really say that chess wouldn't be fun?
Actually it is the simplicity and constraints of options combined with the nearly innumerable configurations and interactions possible between the pieces that make chess such a grand strategy game, not its degree of realism. Such it is with Dominions scripting.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:24 AM

Second Lieutenant

AdmiralZhao is on a distinguished road

Or you could view it as a chess game where you allowed to play the first 5 moves, and then after that an AI takes over.

Seriously, it is frustrating, and I'm not sure that it becomes less so once you've mastered the combat and scripting system. The problem becomes even more galling with CBM, as you have dozens of viable combat spells to cast, but no way to get your mages to repeatedly cast them. Personally, I see it as the biggest flaw left in the game. If they were to fix this and call the resulting game Dominions 4, I would buy a copy.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:43 AM

Captain

Quitti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralZhao View Post
Or you could view it as a chess game where you allowed to play the first 5 moves, and then after that an AI takes over.
I'd like to add that with this game of "chess" you can have seven queens on the board at once. And over a hundred pawns. And dozens of knights. And ranged attacks. And... It's called dominions 3. No, seriously, comparing chess and dom3 is not useful. In chess you have very limited types and amounts of units, whereas in dom3 there are quite a few options. One "piece" on the "board" can kill hundreds of others or indirectly cause their deaths due routing or dying to fatigue or even converting them.

I still think that the 5 scripted spells + (cast spells) is enough. Though I agree that summon elementals/stuff should be set to lower priority. Skeleton spam is still an useful to have up there, since (d2) death mages either should be doing something like disintegrate or raise skeletons/dead in the combat to be very useful. Of course there are exceptions, but most of the time those few spells are pretty much what you need those low-path death mages for.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I rather think this is a feature, as opposed to a problem. As in battle, plans tend not to last.