.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:43 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Kursk Campaign!

Just finished the Kursk campaign by Cameronius!

- - - SPOILERS BELOW - - -

The battles are big and thus takes a while to complete, but it's also the kind of campaign I personally like (- I'm fully aware some people want smaller stuff).

The maps are excellent, the deployment of AI and Aux forces is also fine IMHO. All scenarios of the campaign work good, the Russian counterattack against the bridge scenario is expertly set up in how it uses the river and deployment zones for both German and Soviet forces.

Briefings are fine!

Most of my losses were due to AI arty and air and the infernal anti-tank guns. Especially when dug into a trench they were problematic. Stacking of units, something I often avoid, didn't seem to be such a drawback when located in a trench either. I noticed some units were reduced to 0 speed, probably to ensure that they would remain in place defending.

The counterattacks by large numbers of T-34s look scary but tended to end in a massacre of Soviet armour - as long as you can keep some distance to the AI led tanks you can pick them off...

...this didn't work in the Prokorovkha scenario when I underestimated the numbers of T-34s and lost some core tigers to T-34s that got too close. Worst was the Red Air though my core got pounded those Shturmoviks...

Ammo carriers were essential to restock AP ammo, smart to include in the original core.

I'd like to replay the campaign with a Swedish core force, but it would probably be neccessary to re-route the campaign flow to add a few scenarios in order to build experience for that last Prokarovkha scenario...

Good Job on the campaign!
The Following User Says Thank You to wulfir For This Useful Post:
Old January 3rd, 2013, 06:29 PM

Sergeant

mkr8683 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kursk Campaign!

Nice review! Been meaning to give this one a go.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
Just finished the Kursk campaign by Cameronius!

The battles are big and thus takes a while to complete, but it's also the kind of campaign I personally like (- I'm fully aware some people want smaller stuff).

The maps are excellent, the deployment of AI and Aux forces is also fine IMHO. All scenarios of the campaign work good, the Russian counterattack against the bridge scenario is expertly set up in how it uses the river and deployment zones for both German and Soviet forces.

Briefings are fine!

Most of my losses were due to AI arty and air and the infernal anti-tank guns. Especially when dug into a trench they were problematic. Stacking of units, something I often avoid, didn't seem to be such a drawback when located in a trench either. I noticed some units were reduced to 0 speed, probably to ensure that they would remain in place defending.

The counterattacks by large numbers of T-34s look scary but tended to end in a massacre of Soviet armour - as long as you can keep some distance to the AI led tanks you can pick them off...

...this didn't work in the Prokorovkha scenario when I underestimated the numbers of T-34s and lost some core tigers to T-34s that got too close. Worst was the Red Air though my core got pounded those Shturmoviks...

Ammo carriers were essential to restock AP ammo, smart to include in the original core.

Good Job on the campaign!
Yes, please allow me to add my kudos. Everything wulfir said and more .

The battles were quite large (overwhelming?) for my taste, yet of course the high turn numbers made them more historical. These battles lasted most or all of the day. Truly titanic, and the campaign lives up to the spirit of those desperate times.

Well done Cameronius, and never mind that I got bushwhacked at Prokorovkha !
Old February 9th, 2013, 09:19 AM

Private

Demtrek is on a distinguished road

Yea, this campaign was awesome. Yea it takes sometime to complete the battles, but I liked all of them, except the first one.

I understand the need to simulate the movement into offense possitions with the possiblity of incurring some looses, but it just seemed like it took forever to move everything that long of a distance with very little action taking place. I would of suggested a short version of that map.

But really everything else was totally awesome. The counter attacks were my favorite. Very well timed. I was unlucky and lost 5 tigers by the fourth battle. 1 AT gun, 1 plane, 3 Arty. Soviet tanks have yet to claim a kill on my Tigers and I still have 2 battles left.

Just sayen its awesome you put so much work into a great campaign.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:18 AM

Sergeant

Rosollia is on a distinguished road

Never really got into this campaign myself. The first mission was tedious with the player having to move a huge core force along the edges of a huge map with practicaly nothing happening. Some immobile infantry at the forrest edge near the end of the map?

The second mission had you deploy your forces in a circle with enemy attacking from all sides with infantry. The enemy had no chance to inflict any damage to your forces and was just slaughtered. Just delployed my forces and hit the end turn button, boring.

The third mission had you start right next to enemy foces in the map edge. I stopped playing there.

Im sorry I did not like this campaign. I realise how much work goes into building a campaign and the scenarios and the maps are really nicely made. The authors map making skills are really good but scenario desing in my oppinion is not his strongest part.
Old February 9th, 2013, 11:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosollia View Post
Never really got into this campaign myself. The first mission was tedious with the player having to move a huge core force along the edges of a huge map with practicaly nothing happening. Some immobile infantry at the forrest edge near the end of the map?

The second mission had you deploy your forces in a circle with enemy attacking from all sides with infantry. The enemy had no chance to inflict any damage to your forces and was just slaughtered. Just delployed my forces and hit the end turn button, boring.

The third mission had you start right next to enemy foces in the map edge. I stopped playing there.
Yes, the first two scenarios could be dispensed with. But it's relatively easy to "break the crust" in the third and move on to further objectives so you won't be bunched up near the map-edge, at least not for long. After that, the campaign is definitely worth it IMHO.