.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 20th, 2003, 05:55 PM

Private

Hawkmoon is on a distinguished road
Default Ulm, Ulm and more Ulm !!!!

Ok...I must begin this by stating I am a complete newbie to the whole Dom1/Dom 2 world but I love it all very much.

Now...Ulm is bad ***. I love them...their units are rock solid albeit a bit pricey and except for the lack of decent spell power, I am very happy with them. I'm still getting my feet wet and am playing on easy so don't flame me too hard but these are a few of the things I've been doing that haev enabled success...please tell me how these are great strats or insanely crappy ones when I go against a good friend this friday on Aran.
First, I take a sage Pretender, give him 1 Fire, 2's across the board, except for 3 or 4 Astral, 1 Earth, and 3 or 4 in Nature and Wind. I then build 3 or 4 black plate axemen and have him research...now...this lets me have a small hard force that search territory very effectively. Every turn I'm pumping out a master smith until I have 8 and a few priests in my capital. All of the gems I am now getting will be used to empower a stay at home smith into a Magic Item producing factory. I then outfit BlackLords and other baddies with the best that I can...which is typically very good. As I'm going through and gaining territory, I raise the defences as much as possible...to at least 31 in most cases, I've gone as high as 92 in one game. How do I fund this? With the excess of Gems that I am producing. I grow much slower than my computer rivals but rarely lose territory and they always get a helluva bloody nose waltzing around my lands. The only guys who consistently put the smack down on me ar the damm squid heads. I hate them and am planning a nationwide fishfry in their honor one day soon!
Anyway, I know I can do better but Ulm is rock solid thus far...I mean I fought Ermor with some thing like 3 Priests, My Pretender, 4 Master Smiths, a Black Lord, 16 Black Knights and 30 Black Plate Axemen, he had his Wight Lord and 12 other commander, 32 regular units and 662 Undead. At the end of the battle-(I lost by the way)-I lost my Black Lord and roughly half my knights and foot troops, he lost none of his commanders, 16 of the 32 regular units and 447 Undead...those are damm fine numbers. You guys should have seen the ridiculousness of 3 or 4 Blade Winds every turn...it was a thin black line holding back this monstrous horde...truly the stuff of legends. That battle sold me on Ulm...they might need a little tweaking here and there and I would love Iron Faith to actually be worth something but for now...I plan on riding them out...tell me yuo don't trembl when the comp or a buddy shows up on your doorstep with a solid block of 30 Black Plate Infantry with two gGroups of 20 Black Knights on each Flank...there will be death that day!!! I look forward to the responses.
Old November 20th, 2003, 08:47 PM

Private

trebuchet is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ulm, Ulm and more Ulm !!!!

Black Knights and the like are impressive units, but I've never found them to be all that efficient for how much you have to spend on them, and it hurts all the more when they die. There are counters to heavy armor that aren't too difficult to field, if the enemy is prepared. And watching them die is so disheartening.