.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 6th, 2011, 04:42 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: House Rules against the AI

The AI uses its money to buy anything and everything it can afford. Increasing the income *would* help the AI, but it would help you just as much. If you're trying to boost it that way, taking poor scales to compensate for the increased money would be necessary to avoid negating the advantage to the AI. It will recruit even more chaff that way though.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

There are also no-independent maps which forces the AI to spend money on elite troops and mages at castles instead of cheap independents all over the map.

Personally I consider those abit extreme altho a fun game variant. I prefer the partial NI maps where something like 1 out of 10 provinces is left with whatever random recruitables the game gives it. Thats the same effect of forcing the AI to better spending but it still allows for the joy of exploration, finding, and securing prime locations
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
There are also no-independent maps which forces the AI to spend money on elite troops and mages at castles instead of cheap independents all over the map.

Personally I consider those abit extreme altho a fun game variant. I prefer the partial NI maps where something like 1 out of 10 provinces is left with whatever random recruitables the game gives it. Thats the same effect of forcing the AI to better spending but it still allows for the joy of exploration, finding, and securing prime locations
There is also the no-indpendant, special sites that give recruits option. Basically, a bunch of new sites are modded in, and finding them gives access to some amount of independents, often including multiple troop types.
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookierookie View Post
By the way, how does the AI use its gold? I was wondering if increasing the income would help the AI, since I rarely if ever feel in need of money in SP.
If the AI earns enough money, it will actually buy itself an ice cream

Not sure what level you are playing it, and we've all claimed we can beat the AI anyway, but I would not say I am not "in need" of cash in SP. It is true that later on you seem to get more than you can want, but in the earlier stages I do not have the money to buy mages at every castle plus all troops each turn. If you truly have money to burn, don't forget that filling your homeland with temples never does any harm.
Old December 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Corporal

Rookierookie is on a distinguished road

I don't pretend to play optimally or even try to. It suits me perfectly fine that the income scale benefits me early and the AI late.
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:28 AM

First Lieutenant

Makinus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
If you're trying to boost it that way, taking poor scales to compensate for the increased money would be necessary to avoid negating the advantage to the AI. It will recruit even more chaff that way though.
Good idea.... but what would be considered "poor" scales in that situation? If i get Trumoil3 instead of Order3 would i really be handicapping myself or, in a game with plentiful money, it would be irrelevant?
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:06 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
If you're trying to boost it that way, taking poor scales to compensate for the increased money would be necessary to avoid negating the advantage to the AI. It will recruit even more chaff that way though.
Good idea.... but what would be considered "poor" scales in that situation? If i get Trumoil3 instead of Order3 would i really be handicapping myself or, in a game with plentiful money, it would be irrelevant?
Take the wrong temperature scales, don't use the extra points. The most blatant method is Heat 3 Niefleheim or EA Caelum, or Cold 3 Abyssia, but you can always get at least 3 away from ideal. Take Misfortune and Drain, don't use the extra points. So on and so forth.
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Let's say you take turmoil 3 and heat/cold 3. That's 33% less gold that you get. And if the AI has just order 3 and nothing negative, it's more like a 55% difference. With double money that's huge, and will make things a fair bit more challenging, especially in the early game.
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old December 10th, 2011, 06:25 AM

Sergeant

BewareTheBarnacleGoose is on a distinguished road

Taking the wrong temperature also gives your units encumbrance from "severe heat/ Cold", I think it's +2 enc. Makes life especially difficult for nations that use high enc units/thugs.
Old April 27th, 2012, 09:40 PM

Private

Rick L is on a distinguished road

The AI can be terrifying at the beginning of a single player game, a patsy in mid game, and boring, why bother, in late game. To make the late game more challenging, play two strong units as human. When you get to the lat game, turn whichever is stronger over to the AI (the become computer controlled command in the options menu).

I just did this playing Helheim and Hinnom. I avoided all the "Hinnom eats everything" units by not taking any luck and managed to do okay against the AI. When I turned it over to the Ai, I had all the Lords of Civilization summoned. It made for a pretty challenging late game. Nethgul was the key to victory.

When playing the AI I also try not to give my commanders any gems, which does make it harder in late game as the AI does do that at least.