.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 5th, 2018, 07:23 AM

Corporal

chris h is on a distinguished road
Default Wurm River scenario

It's part of Campaign 17, American Crusade. I've got to scenario 13 and have beenpresented with Wurm River, part of the Westwall. Problem is I have no idea how to play it??? The river is surounded by swamp and mud anywhere from 2 to 6 hexes either side. Much of the river and some of the swamp hexes are deep water. No bridges or roads.

I suppose I could use barges but to do that you have to get them to deep water but wou'll never do it due to the vehicles getting stuck.

Note this is an armoured force, few infantry.

ANybody help?
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:06 AM

Corporal

Default Re: Wurm River scenario

Having found a route that did not involve deep water I tested sending a Co of Shermans across. Only one made it without getting stuck or to but it another way 17 got stuck.

I beleive this sceanrio is unplayable unless some know something I don't.
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The briefing does say you are not expected to get tanks across and " how you get that bridgehead up and running is your problem"

I wouldn't say it's unplayable but it does look like you need to rely on your infantry to do the job.

That said maybe Ulf or Chris have other suggestions

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 5th, 2018, 08:45 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The other way to tackle it might be to say "to heck with sticking, this scenario has way too much bogging terrain!" and turn breakdowns off in the preferences screen.
Old July 5th, 2018, 10:12 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
The briefing does say you are not expected to get tanks across and " how you get that bridgehead up and running is your problem"

I wouldn't say it's unplayable but it does look like you need to rely on your infantry to do the job.

nfortunately all it says is

,We've come up against a stretch of the German West Wall defences. You are to breach the enemy fortified line. Expect the enemy to be dug in.**'

Nowever I'll see what happens using infantry and engineers plus two barge carriers, hopefully they won't get stuck.
Old July 5th, 2018, 10:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Don't forget you can buy gliders / airborne if you have air sorties allowed in preference... that does get some units a toehold across the river

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 5th, 2018, 07:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris h View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

nfortunately all it says is

,We've come up against a stretch of the German West Wall defences. You are to breach the enemy fortified line. Expect the enemy to be dug in.**'

I need to take a closer look at this. I think the messages for scenario 13 and 12 are reversed. The message I quoted was U017i012.txt...sceanrioi 12 campaign 17

Rimburg Castle,*
Wurm river, Germany, -*
October 2, 1944*
We have reached the gates of the Reich itself! You are to cross the Wurm river and establish
a bridgehead near Rimburg castle. The river has been purposely enlarged, probably to function as
an anti tank ditch. We don't expect you to be able to have tanks cross before engineers
have been able to bridge the river. Just how you get that bridgehead up and running is your
problem.**

wereas U017i013.txt.....that's the 13th battle of campaign 17 is

Siegfried line,*
German border region, -*
October 4, 1944*
We've come up against a stretch of the German West Wall defences. You are to breach the enemy
fortified line. Expect the enemy to be dug in.**

but that's the wurm river scenario with Rimburg Castle but it better applies to the defensive set up of the 12th scenario

Edit....... yes indeed those two text files should be reversed 12 should be 13 and 13 should be 12.....now in the next patch folder

Last edited by DRG; July 5th, 2018 at 07:34 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: