Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 6th, 2012, 09:47 PM

Corporal

Miketee10022 is on a distinguished road
Question Ordinance Units and AI

Is it just me, or has anyone else found that the AI has a really tough time properly using Munitions units. Anything with wheels or tracks tends to be sent into frontline combat. Am I doing something wrong in setting up my scenarios? It seems the only way to get the AI to use munitions units is to literally force it by positioning static units (artillery, AA) next to static munitions units (a dump as opposed to a truck). I would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this issue, and if someone has had success getting an AI-controlled attack chopper to re-arm at an ammo dump or other munitions unit, please let me know!

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.

Note: I just set up a test scenario forcing a light heli to expend its ammo, and placing it near a couple of ammo dumps. No dice! Without any enemy oppositiion to speak of (unless you call unarmed trucks opposition) the heli expended its full ammo load and just sat there twiddling its thumbs.

Last edited by Miketee10022; October 7th, 2012 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: Adding some additional facts to the original post.
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:56 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ordinance Units and AI

The simple answer is the AI does not know how to use them hence it does exactly what you just said. Soi It will never rearm attack helos though this is unrealistic anyway as they would return to base to do so. Because of that the Apaches payload is what makes it expensive & probably the best attack helo in the game.
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:00 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Of course it is going to have problems since that unit class is for human use only.

The only way to let the AI use ammo resupply units in a scenario is to place a stationary unit (arty say) beside a stationary ammo unit (dump or bunker).
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM

Corporal

Miketee10022 is on a distinguished road

Mobhack and IMP,

Thanks so much for your replies. It just confirms what I suspected - that the Ammo units are mostly for human use.

While I agree that most of the time an Apache or the like will return to base to re-arm, if the base is too far to the rear for timely rearmaing, then some 'improvisation' may be needed. It is truly amazing what a couple of Chinooks worth of ordinance and a really well-trained and experienced logistics unit can accomplish on short notice! But overall I agree with you.

Again, my thanks to you both for your timely response.