.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Dungeon Odyssey

Old December 23rd, 2004, 03:57 PM

Sergeant

henk brouwer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Christmas module (v 1.0 released)

Quote:
ace joh said:
I found two terrain errors so far (currently exploring the ice cave), one is in the ice lake, where you can move through one of the forest images. Looking at the terrain file, it seems to be those 'possible chest location' terrains?
Also was a bit surprised you could shoot through forests, but I suppose that was intentional

Not intentional, but it is a nice feature . What setting controls whether you can fire shots through an object or not? (I won't change it but it's nice to know)

The 'possible chest locations' are a small trick to make sure chests are not always on the same location in a tile, there was indeed an error in the entries for the trees that could replace the chests in both the forest and icelake maps. thanks .

Quote:
ace joh said:
Another bug was in the ice cave, where one corner simply showed a massive rock cube instead. Don't know how to take a screenshot, unfortunately, can't show you.

I know which section of the icecave you mean, I already found it, and another simillar one.
Quote:
ace joh said:
About balance, well, I suppose characters with light spells have a slight advantage? My thief can't really use bows and other two handed weapons, unless there's another light source nearby.

Hmm that one might be harder to fix.. I do want to keep the module dark.. It seems to fit the story better. I'll put in one of those miner helmets, which have a light attached.. that should keep your hands free. (It will be a bit more costly than lanterns ofcourse)

Quote:
ace joh said:
That's all for now, I'll let you know if I find more.

Oh yeah, perhaps that message box you get when finding wurrick is a bit overkill, for that one sentence
Hmm . I remember typing down that text, and thinking to myself: ' I should write down something more significant and profound here at some later stage' Obviously that never happened .

Christmas module v1.05 (attached to first post)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old December 23rd, 2004, 05:48 PM

Corporal

ace joh is on a distinguished road

I believe shots are regarded as air 'units', so setting an object to allow air travel allows shots to pass through.

Also found two more terrain errors : this time the shores are incorrect, one in the Ice Lake (on the way to the entrance to the ice cave), and one in the ice cave, unfortunately I can hardly tell you where to look

About the darkness, It's still manageable because there's a good amount of light sources in the cave, and I found an orb giving +1 light radius . Although that miner helmet would still be nice!

Oh well, don't mind the text, the story never was this module's strong point anyway
Actually, stories are no strong points of DO... Or any roguelike, for that matter

edit : oh yeah, maybe the alpha for DO WW2 can be released before christmas, depends when I complete this module (damn you )

edit2 : managed to finish the module , highly entertaining, even though I apparently dragged +/-150 weight worth of keys around for nothing... Who did the voice acting for santa?

Maybe the sledge is a bit too close by the entry point? I had only seen half the map and I could already finish if I wanted...
Old December 24th, 2004, 02:15 AM

Corporal

DarkStar is on a distinguished road

I would love to see DO WW2 released soon. Having 2 modules out in the same week before Christmas would be a very nice present to all the DO owners.

At any rate: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to those that celebrate those holidays!
Old December 24th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Sergeant

Default Re: Christmas module (v 1.05 released)

Version 1.05 is out (It's downloadable from the first post in this thread, my sig seems broken, I don't have time to repair it now)

changes:
1.05: (24 december 2004)
Changed: All chests have been replaced by presents (thanks for the suggestion ace joh ).
Changed: Removed keys from the module, (no locks on presents).
Changed: Increased the chance to find arrows, bolts and other ammo.
Fixed : You could walk through certain trees.
Fixed : Some coastlines on the icecave and icelake maps did not look right.
Fixed : 'Rock cubes' were sometimes visible on the icecave map because of missing terrain.
Fixed : Corrected some spelling errors.
Added : Added miner's helmets (for sale at the Pub), so you can wield 2-handed stuff and have light.
Added : Added a few new tiles to the icecave.

I didn't have much time to put in extra features (I'm going to visit family this weekend and can't acces my computer), so it's mainly some bugfixes. Also since christmas wil be over when I return, this will likely be the Last patch for this module.

but I'm thinking about making another Version of the module with all the christmas stuff taken out, and replaced by stuff that won't be outdated within a couple of days , so bugreports are still welcome.

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old December 24th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Corporal

Thanks for the update! I like the idea of changing the module to me non-Christmas. I agree about the keys I'm almost done with the game and have so many of them.

Miner's Helmet is an awesome idea. I always hated the fact you couldn't have light and still fight. Switching between the light source and a weapon all the time was a pain.

It might be just me but the download link doesn't seem to work.
Old December 24th, 2004, 06:30 PM

Corporal

Yeah, good idea to release it as a seperate module, we can always use more . Although you'd have to figure out a new story...

Donwload link in the sig doesn't work, but the attachment certainly does.

Also, in case you haven't seen yet, DOWW2 alpha is released
Old December 24th, 2004, 06:33 PM

Sergeant

The download link in my sig doesn't seem to work, I'll try to repair that, the link at the top of the first post (the one named "attachment" and the same one that used to link to the download of the first Version) should work.

Ace Joh: About Santa being close to the entrance: that's a random thing. both the second entrance and santa's position are randomly chosen, you got lucky, but they can be very far apart (I'm still frustrated from having to explore the entire level while playtesting, only to find him in the Last possible location)

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old December 24th, 2004, 06:52 PM

Corporal

Ah, the price of randomness

Hmm, one Last thing, I have found a scroll of teleportation in one of the chests in the ice lake terrain (but only after crossong the ice cave)... I suppose if you would find it before entering the cave (if at all possible?) you could skip it? Don't think it's a big problem though, I can't seem to choose the destination, and the odds are pretty slim.
Old December 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
ace joh said:
Yeah, good idea to release it as a seperate module, we can always use more . Although you'd have to figure out a new story...

Well, the storyline off the christmas module itself obviously wasn't much work, I should be able to come up with something of simillar quality without much problems .

Can't wait to play the DOWW2 module .

edit: Hmm I guess the teleport trick would be possible, but it seems quite hard to pull of, anyone who manages to do it probably had to work harder for it than someone who took the official route . the same trick would probably also work for passing locked doors in the other modules.

Xerathul's Revenge v0.5
Old December 27th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Corporal

Cool Mod thanks again for spending your time making it. I had a bLast playing thru it the first time.

I'm currently replaying the game with a Paladin. I think I'm in a spot where I can't win. On the area with all the ice I have 10-15 winter wolves and other things casting some type of ice spells on me from a distance which stick and cause major damage.

Since I don't have any type of magic bolts I have to take them on hand to hand. I can't do enough damage to kill even one of them before the stacking on the ice spells gets me.

I trid using bows and such but again they don't do enough damage. Once I got 2-5 ice spells on me it's over because even as I'm moving away they continue to do damage.

I believe that there is no way to win the module with my current character. I don't see any other maps where I could level my character. She is currently lvl 5 and doesn't have enough HP to cut it.

If you end up making any more changes to the module you might want to change it so they don't all cast the ice spells as much. Maybe dropping items that have cold resists could also work if you like the monsters the way they are now.

I should have played a Mage.