.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > LockNLoad: The Forgotten Heroes

Old January 16th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Sergeant

Mark H. Walker is on a distinguished road
Default Computer Lock \'n Load

Anyone interested in seeing a computer Version of LnL? If so, what would you like to see? Should it cover Vietnam or some other era? Retain the boardgame's rules or expand them. What do you think of using the same graphics/art? I like the idea.

Let me know what you think.

Best,
Mark
Old January 26th, 2005, 07:59 PM

Corporal

Rogue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Computer Lock \'n Load

Mark, would it be playable as a standalone SP game? I (unfortuntely) get my gaming time in now around my newborn son's time table and as such it tends to be very sporadic and at really late (or early ) hours.

If it has a SP component I'd say heck yeah!

If it were MP only I'd be a little cautious just because of time concerns.
Old January 30th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Sergeant

Howdy,

Really I'm just trolling for ideas, but ANY version of CLnL would have single player. I mean, that's the point, isn't it. You can play MP via VLnL right now.

I hear you with the kids, but don't give up on boardgames. It's an exciting time for both board and computer gaming. And Shrapnel is branching out with their board games, their new title looks to be a perfect party game when you have a couple of folks over for dinner. I've spoken with one of the designers, and she's a really nice lady, with some very cool ideas. And Tim and Annette know how to publish a game, so the components will be top notch.

Best,
Mark
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:41 PM

Corporal

I'll have to look into that new one. My wife and I like to play board games with company, and we're always looking for good ones. Heh, I'd try and get to play LnL, but I don't think she'd go for it.

Her friend's husband, on the otherhand, I think I could get to try it!
Old February 9th, 2005, 07:28 AM

Sergeant

Yeah, I know I'm looking forward to picking up a copy of So Cliche when it releases.

BTW, have you played LnL? It's very easy to learn. A great way to introduce people to the hobby.

Best,
Mark
Old February 10th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Corporal

No, not yet. I need to get it though and try it out. I have an old college buddy who absolutely loves this stuff and I think I can get him to join me in playing it.
Old February 24th, 2005, 04:15 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

I actually thought the (javascipt?) demo of LnL was pretty fascinating. I can easily imagine getting hooked on a straight boardgame port like that.

PvK
Old April 13th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Corporal

Joe 98 is on a distinguished road

I would be keen to see a computer version.

It needs to be single player AND multiplayer

Multiplayer needs to be PBEM, not continuos time

The map graphics need to be enhanced. See Uncommon Valour for adequate map graphics for top down 2D hex based games.

The hexes ought to be 2.5 meters wide – the length of a man lying pointing his rifle.

The counter graphics need updating. Actually counters are not necessary at all. Instead you want a top down view that resembles the soldiers in the computer game 101st Airborne.

They would be in 3 poses: standing, crouching and lying.

As for information, instead of having it on the counters, it would instead appear in an information screen of some sort.

Each piece of information might change colour as something happens: Green is good, Orange is medium, Red is poor and Black is bad etc

Left Click on a man, and the hexes he can move to are normal colour and the hexes he cannot move to ( because he has used up his movement points) are greyed out.

Right Click on a man and the hexes he can shoot at are normal colour those he cannot shoot at are greyed out. If range is important those hexes in “normal” range are normal colour and those at extended range are a different shade of colour.

It is important to use computers to make wargaming better. An exact duplicate for computer would be no use.

If a man throws smoke, it ought to billow – no smoke counters please. Nor should anything else be represented by counters - computer graphics is a better way.
-

Old April 16th, 2005, 10:59 AM

Sergeant

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input.

I won't be trading in LnL maps for Uncommon Valor's anytime soon! LOL

You also reference the incorrect scale. LnL is a squad-based, not tactical game.

And the counters? They hold up quite well, thank you. Especially the counters that we are working on for Band of Heroes. There are no graphics in the board --or computer game war game industry for that matter-- that match up.

Yes, we intend to use the power of the computer for display and enhancement as we continue to move forward with CLnL, but we will not overwhelm the game with it --as Microprose did with Squad Leader. Factors on the counter? Why not? It looks sharp and enhances playability. Information screens (except pop-ups) reduce the size of the playing field, and degrade the experience. Yes, the highlighted hexes is a great idea. One that has been used since... oh, the SSG Panzer series in the late seventies? ;-)

Appreciate all the input.

BTW, I'll be signing off now. <edit for content>

Best,
Mark