.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 10th, 2007, 03:07 AM

Private

TexasHawk is on a distinguished road
Default LA Ermor - myth, legend, or overrated tripe?

Hey all,

Fairly new to the game and am enjoying it a lot! However, in reading the manual, playing several games and reading the boards, I see that there are very strong opinions on LA Ermor, most negative. My question is, I personally find the traits very intriguing and I think played and set up properly LA Ermor could be potentially unstoppable and unbeatable, and some of what I have read is to this effect.

So basically: Is it worth trying to be a 'LA Ermor' master? Will this get me shut out of MP games? Is it too cheap? What's the real pulse on this issue out there???

THawk
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:13 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LA Ermor - myth, legend, or overrated tripe?

Your biggest problem with LA Ermor in MP will be that absolutely everyone will be out to kill you the second they encounter you since your dominion will kill their population. That frequently means that anyone and everyone on your borders will gang up on you just to get rid of you and divide up the spoils before they are ruined. There is really no good way for you to use diplomacy to full effect because of that handicap and your hordes of chaff are there basically just to absorb hits before your real troops (most of them summoned) get targeted.

Edi
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:50 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

On the other hand your lands can be a pretty nasty place to try an invade - anyone looking to lay into you is going to have to accept little in the way of gains. If you point that out you can play diplomacy a little more.
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:19 AM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

LA Ermor is actually not that strong in dom3. Annoying dominion effect, a decent nation but not overpowered as it was in Dom 2.
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

As kissblade said it isnt as strong as it was, mainly because of the increased gold and supplies from dom2.
Old March 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

I actually think that LE Ermor is slightly underpowered.

Ermor now gets just as many troops as everyone else, but only gets mages by spending gems - and since Ermor has approximately the same gem income as everyone else (a little bit higher, but not much), this is a big disadvantage once magic becomes highly important.

The upshot is that I think all of the LE Ermor nationals should be *half* as expensive or less. This wouldn't make a big difference in the early game, but your forces would stay roughly comparable as the game goes on. It'd also enable Ermor not to fall so far behind the research curve, as they generally do.

The increase in price on spectres hurt them a lot more than it hurt other positions - which would've been fine in dom2 when they were so devastating, but now that they're not it's an over-correction.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe