.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:47 AM

Corporal

Sorlakind is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Game: Dark Matter

Ok, not to dis anyone but a God named... Jack? Master Blaster? Chivas R? Isn't that a bit, I dunno, pathetic?

Sheesh.

Zohak, The Eyes in the Wings of Caelum.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 09:03 AM

General

vfb is on a distinguished road

Well I often find my pretender gets named "Arnold" if I let the computer choose the name for me. So we're not the only ones.

And can't you think of any pretender for whom "Jack" might perhaps be a somewhat appropriate name? Consider the Plankton!
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM

First Lieutenant

LoloMo is on a distinguished road

Mock not our God, for your God soon shalt Chivas R be!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM

Corporal

Sorlakind is on a distinguished road

Quote:
LoloMo said:
Mock not our God, for your God soon shalt Chivas R be!
Believe us, mocking your God is very far from our intentions. We in Caelum appreciate a good hearty drink so we thought maybe we could drink a part of his body. We do not ask much, say one of his legs or one of his eyes. To warm us in the cold wintery Caelum nights.

Zohak, The Wind Stirrer of Caelum.
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM

General

The Nation of Man wishes to offer thanks to its benefactor. Our Council of Foreign Relations does wonder, however, why a reply to our message was not received. Perhaps the magical paths of the Forums are more dependable method of communication.

In other news, while the Librarians of Nation of Man were doing research, they came across many tales of woe in the blessed tome "The Archives of the Forums". These unhappy stories mostly related to those unfortunate nations who had become embroiled in early conflict, to the detriment of their development.

After considering these sad tales, the Nation of Man thinks it prudent to offer a peace treaty to Jotun. This treaty would permit Jotun to retain the Livenmark, which they won fair and square on the field of battle. Man will remain a small peaceful nation on its tiny peninsula. Jotun, please reply if you would accept this offer.

-- Secretary to the Minister of Peace, Council of Foreign Relations, Man.

P.S. As a gift to Jotun, we have attached a small packet to our messenger, containing 11 herbs and spices and a secret recipe. Enjoy!
Whether he submitted the post, or whether he did not, made no difference. The Thought Police would get him just the same. He had committed— would still have committed, even if he had never set pen to paper— the essential crime that contained all others in itself. Thoughtcrime, they called it. Thoughtcrime was not a thing that could be concealed forever.
Old April 8th, 2007, 06:32 AM

General

Anyone know why Jotun went AI? I guess that means there's not much chance of a peace treaty.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Private

CopperMonkey is on a distinguished road

Well, it is quite easy to think some possible reasons why Jotunheim went to AI -- why not to avoid commenting pretender names in the forum and maybe it would be better to keep the diplomacy inside the game most of the time? Somebody makes a sneak attack, somebody plays a back stabber, somebody declares the war before attacks -- the playing behavior (I think) should be as a part of the pretender role play. I believe it should be ok to everyone to allow communication through game's text messages or private post to deliver news how some country is behaving and make secret plans together, but the public forum maybe not a good place for diplomacy -- particularly for the critical stuff.
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:03 AM

General

ooc:

Well, in this case, Jotun ignored both a PM I sent, and an in-game message. That's totally fine of course, and eating tasty messenger morsels is something I'd expect Jotun giants to do. I'm not upset about his rush strategy either, it's all part of the game.

I'm pretty sure all messages I sent via the forum concerning the Jotun invasion of the lands of Man were totally in character. CopperMonkey, do you disagree?

I specifically used the forums because Jotun has an awake cold-aura Son of Niefel pretender and at that time could have totally wiped Man out of the game. There is a one-turn delay in using in-game messaging, which I wanted to avoid. Jotun had already scouted my castle, and was two provinces away from disaster (or conquest, depending on whose PoV you have). I needed one turn to request assistance from other nations (for a Frost Ring), and then one turn to reply pretending that someone had actually been kind enough to trade me one. My only hope was that Jotun would read the forums and be tricked into thinking I had gotten a ring.

To improve my understanding of Dominions diplomacy, I have perused many other older game threads, and have seen that the forums are often used to send messages in-character. I do not think I have abused the forums in any way.

Jeez, I even offered the guy a peace treaty in the end. I have no idea why he just dropped out.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM

Corporal

Xox is on a distinguished road

You did fine vfb. No reason to worry about using the forums to do in game dipomacy. It is done all the time, as you noticed, and it adds an AAR feel for those of us reading the forums as we follow your game.

I would hate to see that custom stop, it would drain a lot of color from the forums.
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Private

CopperMonkey is on a distinguished road

Yes, on the second thought, I don't want to argue against the forum diplomacy as it sure seems to be a common way in the forum and also didn't realize you were put into difficult situation early of the game. This is my first multiplayer game, so I am not that well aware how things are generally worked out here.