.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 7th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road
Default Re: NVA Maneuvers 9/1965

SPOILER ALERT

Technically, Dutch have 17 tanks to your 30 (and 12 only are engaged in actual defence, one platoon covers the flank). So this is circa 2,5:1 for the NVA. Of course quality is on the Dutch side.

Infantry is 9 companies to 4 companies, what goes better for the NVA if we include combat engineers company. Anti-tank infantry weapons are better on NVA side. Dutch quickly invested into ATGMs, those platoons were integral part of every single company and they have it to this day (16 heavy ATGMs and about 20 lighter ones as of 2013). Dutch utilise battalions made of 4 combat companies, sort of odd thing as for NATO standards)

There is more artillery for the NVA. Dutch receive only a battalion of guns, while NVA has its integral medium battalion and heavy battalion attached from divisional support. As for air force: I think NVA has more bombers capable of greater destruction plus NVA holds better AA (if we can call it better in that period).
Given the Warsaw Pact "triangular rule", triangulation of battalion (Dutch side) is a regiment. What could have probably led to assaults just like the one you played on WP planning tables.

This scenario is a proof of concept. Concept if typical Motschutzen Regiment could actually MAKE IT through a typical defensive position. For this reason I do not think balancing it is a good idea.

If you like though, I could borrow one more map (if I will be able to find it) and make eg. Polish motorized/armoured regiment assaulting Belgian battalion. Preferably the same year, 1965. But if you want any other tests like that, let me know.
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:15 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

I was counting the SS-11s as tanks since they did a lot of the damage.

As for the NVA air units, I would have preferred more rocket firing Migs to bombers. The Dutch F104s with snebs did the most damage to the NVA armor.

As a proof of concept it works. The NVA took their objectives with relatively even losses. Since the Warsaw Pact always had numerical superiority over NATO this could be counted as a win even if it was a draw in game terns.

Without laying smoke first (like the AI did not) a straight up charge is suicidal.

Still makes for a very challenging scenario. Please keep them coming.
Old October 26th, 2015, 04:53 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

[quote=SaS TrooP;831557]If you like though, I could borrow one more map (if I will be able to find it) and make eg. Polish motorized/armoured regiment assaulting Belgian battalion. Preferably the same year, 1965./QUOTE]

Build the scenario!

If you can't find the map I will make a map for you...
All we ever want is more!
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

I pretty much have it, but it is untested. I am recently more into SPWW2 and got couple of scenarios to make there.

But if you are up to it, I can post it.
Old April 27th, 2016, 05:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

I got a draw (more of a pyrrhic victory though, since I had more than 7000 points and the Dutch had 4000), but it was one of the few times that the AI had less casualties than me (446 men and 40 AFV vs. 313 men and 26 AFV for the AI). It is a difficult scenario, and the fact that the AI does not counterattack made it a bit harder. I could manage a bit better score, had I not follishly positioned my tanks on elevated positions early on, trying to duel with Centurions and ATGMs from 1500+ meters. Oh and I think my artillery division probably needs new tubes, as they were firing non stop in this scenario...