.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old November 18th, 2016, 11:32 AM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Preventing AI Suicide?

A sub-set of this issue is that recon units should pull back to a 'not in contact' condition when fired upon (the computer knows is units are 'seen' or have been fired upon) rather than continuing cannon fodder advances.
They should be constantly probing for your lines and gaps in your defenses. You would have to control your reaction fire setting to draw them in or let them pass to wait for the following forces.
The Following User Says Thank You to jp10 For This Useful Post:
Old November 18th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
A sub-set of this issue is that recon units should pull back to a 'not in contact' condition when fired upon (the computer knows is units are 'seen' or have been fired upon) rather than continuing cannon fodder advances.
They should be constantly probing for your lines and gaps in your defenses. You would have to control your reaction fire setting to draw them in or let them pass to wait for the following forces.
I'm afraid that would require a rather extensive AI rework.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old November 18th, 2016, 09:55 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Sort of a catch 22 the AI has to recon by death in most cases, unlike most other games the AI gets no extra help cheats. The AI does in my view perform better when it has more information, recieved a lot of air for example.
Never thought to do before but I might try giving the Al a boost in searching to give it a slight advantage.
Old November 19th, 2016, 12:44 AM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Not just a higher retreat/rout probability? If they would pull back at first shot (or when the AI knows you have spotted them, even if you haven't fired or they have not spotted your units) then they would tend to advance only on open undefended routes and keep their distance from defended areas.
The Following User Says Thank You to jp10 For This Useful Post:
Old November 24th, 2016, 09:05 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Not just a higher retreat/rout probability? If they would pull back at first shot (or when the AI knows you have spotted them, even if you haven't fired or they have not spotted your units) then they would tend to advance only on open undefended routes and keep their distance from defended areas.
I seem to recall MBTs advancing and providing suppression fires when the opfor is lightly armed with say at best inf ATMs.

It maybe true that the AI knows if a lethal threat is present to the MBT and may advance cautiously. Otherwise, against RPGs the MBT advances. If so, we can make IFVs out of MBTs.

=====
Old November 25th, 2016, 01:17 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Preventing AI Suicide?

The AI (It's been my only opponent for almost 15yrs.) in the same situation as described will try to push it's Recon, Mech Troops, with Tank support forward, it does understand and is focused on the "ATTACK". That being said it also understands "Covering Fire" I will promise you if you persistent in your attack (Regardless of unit type.) the AI WILL assign resources to take out that unit and I have seen this MANY TIMES where It'll be Air, Arty, Armor and Infantry making the "push" against a position. If it has them, it really likes to get snipers in against infantry targets (To of course include ATGW teams.). The AI doesn't seem to necessarily seek to destroy a target all the time either, it is quite content to suppress or cause that unit to retreat in some manner and move most of those assets along to the next issue or objective. It's just what I've seen. The AI could be better I suppose, however, if you really watch how it functions over time you'll see it's not as "dumb" as a lot of people think it is. It'll still throw a "curve ball" at you once in awhile just to keep you honest.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..