.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM

Default Turn by Turn by Zen (Atlantis)

This is a Turn by Turn "AAR".

It is only barely categorized as an AAR and has nothing to do with the fantasy or storytelling form of writing in the context I am using it (i.e. No "Ruprickt the Grand storms the fort with his mighty Fork of Despair with his oinkish legions." etc). It is purely information that I would hope those who are a little lost might edge into the thought processes of playing the game in a competitive enviroment and the multitude of options and why I chose them.

Note: I deliberately did not choose a finely honed pretender design. That is to mean, I did not choose what I would normally choose if going into a competitive game, but rather a 'fun' design set with competitive scales in order to better utilize and show different aspects of the game.

Second Note: In competitive games the settings are normally set to disable score graphs, so I will not use the common SP tactic of using and abusing the score graph 'intelligence'. The only reason I have looked at the score graph was to indicate my position on it with kills.

Third Note: On request I will send you the savefile of the game, so you may have a look at it yourself. Send requests to me via Email.

Fourth Note: I will only be doing this Turn by Turn as long as I feel there is something left to be shown as far as thinking and application in the game (This will more than likely be around ~25-30). I have no intention of finishing the game.

Zen the Dagon
Clever eh?

3 Water, 2 Nature

3 Order, 3 Production, 2 Misfortune, 1 Magic
Kelp Citadel (80 Points, 40 Admin)
Dominion 6

The Desert Eye
Independent Strength 6
Magical Site Frequency 50
7 AI set to Impossible, including R'lyeh

Turn 1

Recruit:

1x Coral Queen
6x Coral Guard

Research:
Alteration – 0 RP

Target: None

Action:
Place Taxes on Atlantis (Home Province) to 130%
Place Shubbaruth the Consort / x5 Reef Warrior, x20 Atlantian Spearmen on Patrol
Yakt Hoob the Scout given Retreat Orders at Rear of Formation Box, set to Move to Storm Woods (North Land Province)
Zen the Dagon set to Forge – Ice Sword

Reasons: Taxes to create immediate cash flow, Patrol to counter Taxes, Scout to give a completely accurate defense of at least one province. Research options are either Enchantment 2 for Water Shield and Personal Regeneration or Alteration 2 for Quickness and Barkskin – I chose Alteration. Scout sent to Land province as Water Provinces are more likely to have Tritons which will kill him before he may retreat. Dagon Forges Ice Sword for increased Defense.

Turn 2

Battle - Storm Woods (North Land) – Defense = 3 Commander, 27 Units (33% HI, 33% Xbow, 33% Militia) – Result Retreat.
Patrolling Troops have killed 5 Brigands (0 Unrest)

Results from Battle: Yakt Hoob enters the HoF. Ability = Iron Will (+2 MR)

Recruit: (Scales have not adjusted)
1x Deep Seer
5x Coral Guard

Research:
0 RP

Target: Oceania (30 Units, Tritons), Nariun Sea (20 Units, Mermen)

Action:
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to move to Pack Woods (East Land)
Shubbaruth the Consort kept on Patrol
Place Taxes on Atlantis to 100%
Zen the Dagon given Attack Closest Orders set to Front Center of Formation Box, set to move to Nariun Sea (Southwest)
Madema the Coral Queen given Fanaticism x5, Cast Spells Orders set to Center of Formation Box / 5 Reef Warrior, x 20 Atlantian Spearmen, x6 Coral Guard given Attack Closest Orders set to Center of Formation Box, set to move to Oceania (Northwest)

Reasons:
The Dagon is a very strong Initial Combatant. Initial expansion cannot wait as I require resources to produce a significant # of troops in order to overwhelm R’lyeh when I come into contact with him. Normally I would not attack singularly with my Pretender, but the opportunity of the Nariun Sea is too much to resist. Even if it is off by 50% undervalued, it will be 30 Mermen and I am confidant in my Dagon’s abilities. Current formation is to protect Queen from initial brunt with the spearmen then counterattack them and have Queen provide morale that the spearmen will need from any poison damage they may be taking.

Turn 3

Proclamation from R’lyeh, a Starspawn is his Prophet
Battle – Oceania. Defense = 1 Commander, 24 Triton (100% Triton) – Result Win - Losses: x2 Coral Guard, x2 Atlantian Spearmen
Battle – Nariun Sea. Defense = 1 Commander, 13 Units (100% Merman) – Result Win - Losses: None, no Afflictions.
Battle – Pack Woods. Defense = 2 Commander, 49 Units – Result Retreat - (50% Ichtyid, 50% Ichtyid Warrior)

Recruit: (Scales still unadjusted for Production and Order)
1x Deep Seer
7x Coral Guard

Research:
Enchantment – 8 RP

Target: Wailing Waters (40 Units, Triton Troopers)

Action:
Oceania Taxes set to 90% (7 Unrest)
Nariun Sea Taxes set to 80% (11 Unrest)
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to move to Dunheim (South Land)
Zen the Dagon given Attack Closest Orders set to Front Center of Formation Box, set to move to Wailing Waters (Northwest)
Madema the Coral Queen / 5 Reef Warrior, x 18 Atlantian Spearmen, x4 Coral Guard given Attack Closest Orders set to Center of Formation Box, set to move to Wailing Waters (Southwest)
Ygh’yga the Deep Seer set to Research

Reasons: I choose my taxes in order to clear away the unrest immediately, then I can often tell if there is a site that produces unrest. This can give me an edge up if I know what type of site it is (Death, Blood, etc). My scouting of the Land provinces nearby is so I know where I need to take a foothold so I can cross to the opposite sea (I am in the center set of 4 water provinces on The Desert Eye). I attacked Wailing Waters with my combined forces because Triton Troopers can stay fairly long in combat, poisoning more and more of my troops (and killing them because of their low HP) so I use the Dagon’s fear and trample to rout them quickly. I have not chosen a Prophet yet simply because I have been too busy and I am giving a hero a chance to arrive (a rare occurrence).

Turn 4

Proclamation from Jotunheim, a Jotun Herse is his Prophet. (A most beloved hero, so he is in the HoF)
Battle – Wailing Waters – Defense = 1 Commander, 31 Units (100% Triton Troopers) – Result Win – Losses: 1x Atlantian Spearmen, No Afflictions.
Battle – Dunheim – Defense = 4 Commander, 45 Units (33% Milita, 33% HI, 33% Archers)

Results from Battle: Madema enters the HoF. Ability = Lightning Reflexes (+2 Def)

Recruit: (Scales still unadjusted)
1x Initiate of the Deep
7x Coral Guard

Research:
Alteration – 16 RP

Target: None.

Action:
Nariun Sea Taxes set to 90% (9 Unrest)
Wailing Waters Taxes set to 90% (9 Unrest)
1 Province Defense placed in Oceania, Nariun Sea, Wailing Waters
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to sneak to Atlantis
Zen the Dagon set to Move to Nariun Sea (Southeast)
Madema the Coral Queen / 5 Reef Warrior, x 17 Atlantian Spearmen, x4 Coral Guard set to move to Nariun Sea (Southeast)
Shubbaruth the Consort (+1 Water Gem) / 12 Coral Guard set to move to Nariun Sea (Southwest)
Qithas the Deep Seer set to Research

Reasons:
As you can see the scale non-adjustment is hurting my fragile economy. Luckily I am still able to produce enough units in order to survive my initial expansion, albeit slowly. The center sea of my area is The Darks. It has Ichythid and Ichythid Warriors around ~70. In order to be safe I am reinforcing my troops and getting a water gem in order to cast Friendly Currents to tip the scales in my advantage during the battle so I have a lower attrition rate. Also after The Darks I am unable to take any more safe sea provinces, so I will have to breach land and I have to prepare for that. The other primary reason I have not adjusted my Recruitment is that I have to go on land soon and any War Lobsters would be uselessly trapped in this sea. War Shamblers are too expensive right now with my unadjusted scales so I will have to make Coral Guards work for me.

Turn 5

Recruit: (Scales still unadjusted)
1x Initiate of the Deep
8x Coral Guard

Research:
Alteration 1 – 20 RP

Target: The Darks (90 Units, Icthyids, Icthyid Warriors)

Action:

Oceania set to 100% Tax (0 Unrest)
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to sneak to Pack Woods
Shubbaruth the set to move to Atlantis
Zen the Dagon given Friendly Current, Barkskin, Attack Rearmost Orders set to Front Right Flank of Troop Block set to Move to The Dark (North)
Madema the Coral Queen / 5 Reef Warrior, x 17 Atlantian Spearmen, x16 Coral Guard given Hold and Attack Orders in Front Center of Formation Box, set to move to Nariun Sea (Southeast)
Ctenophoros the Initiate of the Deep set to Research

Reasons:
My Scout is moving to check the opposite side of the land bridge to see that when I clear it I know what I am facing. My troop placement is to minimize loss, while at the same time letting my Dagon affect the combat.

Turn 6

Proclamation from Machaka, a Spider Lord is his Prophet.
Battle – The Dark – Defense = 2 Commander, 68 Units (50% Ichythid, 50% Ichythid Warrior) – Result: Win – Losses: x2 Reef Warrior, x4 Atlantian Spearmen, No Afflictions

Recruit: (+1 Order, +1 Prod in effect, Dominion must finally be kicking in)
1x Deep Seer
7x Coral Guard

Research:
Alteration 1 – 16 RP
Enchantment 0 – 4 RP

Target: None

Action:
The Darks set to 80% Tax (16 Unrest)
1 Province Defense placed in The Darks
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to sneak to Sea of Rond
Gorinigai the Initiate of the Deep set to Forge – Ice Sword
Zen the Dagon set to move to Atlantis
Madema the Coral Queen / 3 Reef Warrior, x 13 Atlantian Spearmen, x16 Coral Guard set to move to Atlantis
Shubbaruth the set to Patrol

Reasons:
Forging another Ice Sword for the Dagon for defense. Changing my research path after Alteration 2 to Enchantment (for Water Shield and Personal Regeneration). I will be consolidating my forces in Atlantis to make the land jump which is due East of the capital.

Turn 7

Recruit: (Order +1, Productivity +1, No Change)
1x Deep Seer
3x Coral Guard

Research:
Alteration 2 – 0 RP
Enchantment 0 – 32 RP

Target: Pack Woods (70 Units, Icthyid and Icthyid Warrior)

Action:
Wailing Water and Nariun Sea set to 100% Tax (0 Unrest)
Gorinigai the Initiate of the Deep set to Research
Baot Zuggogg the Deep Seer set to Research
Zen the Dagon given Quickness, Barkskin, Attack Rearmost Orders set to Front Right Flank of Troop Block set to move to Pack Woods (East)
Madema the Coral Queen / 3 Reef Warrior, x 13 Atlantian Spearmen, x38 Coral Guard given Hold and Attack Orders in Front Center of Formation Box, set to move to Pack Woods (East)
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to sneak to Sea of Silence (North)

Reasons:
Scout reports from the Sea of Rond give information that the Province is defended by Sea Trolls and Krakens and commanded by Shark Bane the Sea King. So I am going to hold off on attacking that particular province in order to see if there is another way to jump into the Water. There is some Dominion spreading from the southeast as well as the far north. But as of right now I’m unconcerned as I try to focus on taking over the sea.

Turn 8

Unexpected Event - +200 Gold
Unexpected Event – Superstition in The Darks
Battle – Pack Woods – Defense = 2 Commander, 69 Units (50% Ichtyid, 50% Ichtyid Warrior) – Result Win – Losses: 2 Atlantian Spearmen

Recruit: (+1 Order, +2 Productivity… )
1x King of the Deep
8x Coral Guard

Research:
Alteration 2 – 0 RP
Enchantment 1 – 24 RP
Conjuration 0 – 8 RP

Target: Storn Wood (See above)

Actions:
The Darks set to 50% Tax (31 Unrest)
Pack Woods set to 50% Tax (27 Unrest)
Rimshaikot the Deep Seer set to Research

Zen the Dagon given Quickness, Barkskin, Attack Rearmost Orders set to Front Right Flank of Troop Block set to move to Storn Woods (North)
Madema the Coral Queen / 3 Reef Warrior, x 13 Atlantian Spearmen, x38 Coral Guard given Attack Closest Orders in Front Center of Formation Box, set to move to Storn Woods (North)
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to move to Ireme (East of Storn Woods, North of Pack Woods)

Turn 9

Proclamation from Mictlan, a Priest King is his Prophet
Battle – Storn Woods – Defense = 3 Commander, 27 Units (33% Militia, 33% HI, 33% Xbow) – Result Win – Losses: 1x Reef Warrior, 2x Coral Guard, 3x Atlantian Spearman, No Afflictions
Battle – Ireme – Defense = 3 Commander, 42 Units (40% Militia 30% HI, 30% Xbow) – Result Retreat

Result from Battle: I should probably mention that Zen the Dagon now has 2 Stars of Experience with 88 kills under his belt and 98 experience. Top of the Hall of Fame and a likely candidate for Vengeance of the Dead

Recruit: (+1 Order, +2 Productivity… )
1x Initiate of the Deep
9x Coral Guard

Research:
Alteration 2 – 0 RP
Enchantment 2 – 0 RP
Conjuration 0 – 48 RP

Target: Ireme (See above)
Kratas (50 Units, Militia, Heavy Infantry)

Action:
Pack Woods and The Darks set to 80% Tax (11 and 15 Unrest respectively)
Storn Woods set to 80% Tax (14 Unrest)
Yakt Hoob the Scout set to move to Sea of Rond (East)
Shamem the King of the Deep set to Research
Zen the Dagon given Quickness, Personal Regeneration, Barkskin Attack Rearmost Orders set to Front Right Flank of Troop Block set to move to Ireme
Madema the Coral Queen / x2 Reef Warrior, x 7 Atlantian Spearmen, x34 Coral Guard given Attack Closest Orders in Front Center of Formation Box, set to move to Kratas

Reasons:
Now that I have Water Shield, Quickness, Barkskin, and Personal Regeneration my Dagon is a decent Underwater fighter and until I see R’leyh. My research is now geared towards Conjuration. My immediate goal is Voice of Tiamat and Lesser Water Elementals then I will need to go to Construction in order to equip MR boosting equipment. As a note, Vanheim has appeared in Hesperia (Northwest of Oceania) which I don’t consider an immediate threat. My immediate decision is how I’m going to store an amount of gold for another Kelp Citadel when I land in the water over the Land Bridge.

[ February 12, 2004, 23:39: Message edited by: Zen ]
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:05 PM

Corporal

IKerensky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turn by Turn by Zen (Atlantis)

Well I suppose you already know the trick but... One nice thing with Atlantis is to set the Coral Queen as prophet. This way you will probably Smite your way through the contest of the champion and get her the nice trident.

Of course if no contest... your stuck with a still nice prophet
Old February 12th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Sergeant

fahdiz is on a distinguished road

Zen, I would like to thank you very much for posting this...especially considering it's a map I'm familiar with from the demo. This is great info for a new player like me, and I'm appreciative of the level of detail you've put into this so far.

A big thumbs up from a newbie.
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:47 PM

Major General

Saber Cherry is on a distinguished road

Water 3? What are you thinking? For 16 dp you get water 4, a +2 defense to Atlantis's very powerful sacred units. Why would you choose 6 dominion and 3 water?

Baka baka baka!
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:
Water 3? What are you thinking? For 16 dp you get water 4, a +2 defense to Atlantis's very powerful sacred units. Why would you choose 6 dominion and 3 water?
I'm glad you asked this question; it's been bugging me too.
Old February 12th, 2004, 06:57 PM

Corporal

DLC is on a distinguished road

nice writeup
Old February 12th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by DLC:
nice writeup
Oh, yeah, that too. I forgot to add the compliment Zen is deserving of.
Old February 12th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Captain

licker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Saber Cherry:

Baka baka baka!
Not to speak for Zen, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
Note: I deliberately did not choose a finely honed pretender design. That is to mean, I did not choose what I would normally choose if going into a competitive game, but rather a 'fun' design set with competitive scales in order to better utilize and show different aspects of the game.
Old February 12th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

I'm sure Zen ingored the water4 blessing since the sacred units are a bit on the slow poke side of things and not worth investing in if you don't have a bless9.
Old February 12th, 2004, 07:15 PM

Corporal

aldin is on a distinguished road

Fun write-up Zen, enjoying it.

Hey Cherry,

I had a friend with the Last name of Chu who picked a screen name of ChuBaka. We all thought it was a nod to Star Wars... turns out we were the stupid ones

~Aldin