The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old October 25th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road
Default Is SEIV going the way of the dodo?

Just discovered this site, and I noticed earlier that there is a huge increase of SEV posts, and very few SEIV posts going on. Now that SEV is out or about to come out (I'm not sure which), there seems to be a lack of interest in SEIV. i hope not. I may have to play the earlier game for awhile, and I'd hate to see all of the great people who made SEIV such a great game abandon it. I know people in the past have said they wouldn't lose interest, but I can't tell that by the forum. So let's see some more SEIV threads out there.
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is SEIV going the way of the dodo?

I pretty much saw this coming.

So much fuss was made over the newer version that I had a hunch SEIV was a dead issue even before anyone wanted to admit it.

Other than just a handful of people, I'm sad to say that SEIV seems like it's pretty much been abandoned. People still stop by and check in, but no real active discussion or contributions anymore, other than by a few diehards like myself.

Old October 26th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road

Half the SE4 stuff goes in the main forum... which is called SE4/5 anyways.
Old October 26th, 2006, 01:39 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

AFAICT, the volume of SE IV traffic hasn't changed all that much; it's been relatively low but fairly steady for quite a long time.

What has changed is that SE V came out, so there's a large volume of traffic about that, making the SE IV traffic seem even smaller by comparison.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old October 26th, 2006, 09:14 PM

Captain

Stopping by and reading posts isn't really what I'd call "active discussion or contributions". It honestly looks like nearly everyone has dropped any further efforts towards anything SEIV.

The volume of traffic in the Main forum does remain high, admittedly. But, it just isn't SEIV related much anymore. SEIV discussion has very nearly died around here. There's very little SEIV stuff in the Main forum that is post-release of SEV.

Old October 26th, 2006, 10:16 PM

Sergeant

Artaud is on a distinguished road

Well, I have not stopped playing SEIV, nor will I. Whether or not others remain interested in the game, that's up to them.

I have not bought SEV because after playing the demo I can see no reason to. SEV just doesn't excite me.

If posts on SEIV are no longer welcome at Shrapnel, that's OK. I will be happy to post somewhere else.
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Black_Knyght said:
Stopping by and reading posts isn't really what I'd call "active discussion or contributions". It honestly looks like nearly everyone has dropped any further efforts towards anything SEIV.

It died about 1.5-2 years ago, really. A few things here and there, but not much. It's mostly been on autopilot.

Artaud said:
If posts on SEIV are no longer welcome at Shrapnel, that's OK. I will be happy to post somewhere else.

Why would they ever be unwelcome?

If you want to see more posts about SE4, why not create some new, interesting threads? Posting about dwindling interest isn't going to get anything done.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:19 PM

Captain

Quote:
Well, I have not stopped playing SEIV, nor will I. Whether or not others remain interested in the game, that's up to them.

I have not bought SEV because after playing the demo I can see no reason to. SEV just doesn't excite me.

I'm with you there, Artaud, though I don't think there will come a time that SEIV post aren't welcome around here. They just won't be commonplace anymore.

Quote:
It died about 1.5-2 years ago, really. A few things here and there, but not much. It's mostly been on autopilot.
I'd tend to disagree a little here, Fyron. While it did slow down a bit, there were a few serious efforts in Mods and shipsets during that time period.

Bear in mind, I'm not being critical of anyone.

Just noting that there was a lot of commentary by folks that they were not going to bail on SEIV, but suddenly now that SEV came out you can hear the crickets in the SEIV section of the forum...

Old October 27th, 2006, 03:04 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Compared to how thing were 3 years ago, the forums have been fairly dead this last year or two... As I said, there were a few things here and there, but not much. A couple mods, a couple shipsets.

Most of the people that said they wouldn't abandon SE4 happen to be old players, with perhaps not much left to talk about themselves. If more of an effort is made to make interesting new threads, I'm sure some of them will continue posting in them.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

SE IV is six years old. It has enjoyed an unpresidented run of success in this nitch market we call 4x. It has outlasted all other 4x games to come along in the last decade or so and is still being played, modded, discussed, and hopefuly bought. But like all things good, they come to an end.