.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default SOme bugs/oddities and questions

Hi again,
I'm enjoying Salvo since nearly 2 weeks, and the more I play the more I like it ! I expected that kind of game since the -failed- PC port of WS&IM

To make things better the game is very polished and didn't crash once in more than 20 hours of play

Still I've noticed some problems/bugs/oddities :

Bugs

* In the mission/victory conditions screen, when one of your ship gets captured and you uncapture it, it counts as "captured ship" for +100 pts and doesn't count as lost...
* Once I had one of my ships grapple an enemy burning ship, that exploded a few turns later. Then I wasn't able to unfoul my ship (or rather to ungrapple the lost ship)...
* If you go to the gun load panel and change several times the ammo type, each time you have the nr of guns loaded decreased. It's not logical, the decrease should be computed only once, between the original ammo and the "final" one when the player exits the panel (and if indeed it's the same ammo no decrease should take place)
* This one is more foggy : sometimes, "unused" fire action markers do remain on map after you change the selected ship, and yield a non-fatal "script error" if you click on them.

Oddities
* When the AI manages crew allocation ("auto"), it puts crew to "sailing" on immobile ships (either through damage or in the "unmasted" ships that come in some scens ).
* Also, player can't manage gun loads for gun platforms (the screen doesn't appear)
* (more an UI thing) Why do we have to unselect a ship (via clicking on the water or sky...) in order to select another one ?

Questions

* Ships with only 1 mast left do move near as fast that fully intact ships, is that normal ? I mean, ships with 20% sailing ability have something like 50%+ of their original speed..
* About sail types, is the advantage of sloop-types, lateen-rigged ships when sailing near the wind modelled in the game ?
* Pirates don't ever seem to strike : that's quite logical, but not documented. Also, do they have some boarding bonus ? I think they should...

* Can you give details on how combat damage, either gunfire or boarding, is resolved ? It's difficult to determine in game if and when such ammo type should be used, or the size of boarding parties.

* Same about how crew allocation impacts movement and fire/reload rate : I would have expected that reload rates where directly proportional to crew size (so if I need 300 man to man 50 guns, putting only 150 men will have only half of the guns fire each turn), but it does not seem to be the case. Not sure also if they is any effect to having "generous" allocations.

* Lastly, when can we hope to see a scenario, or even a campaign editor ?