World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old December 10th, 2008, 07:24 AM

Corporal

PopskiPPA is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ammo cannisters buggers

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be dropping ammo canisters in the first place because the canisters themselves are unrealistic. They are little black boxes with every type of ammo anyone would ever need. You can find in them tank ammo from 20mm to 380mm, artillery ammo from 75mm to 155mm, mortar rounds from 60mm to 120mm, flame thrower fuel, satchel charges, grenades, rockets, etc. and a host of small arms ammo; all of this in unlimited quantities packed in a box that can be carried on a jeep

Game Guide:
"AMMO CANISTER, crew is 1 and speed must be 0, usually transportable, supplies small ammo only (to WH size 3), low supply points per move (20 ammo points)"

Not quite as unrealistic as mentioned...

"Join Popski's Private Army and Enjoy the War!"
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopskiPPA View Post
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be dropping ammo canisters in the first place because the canisters themselves are unrealistic. They are little black boxes with every type of ammo anyone would ever need. You can find in them tank ammo from 20mm to 380mm, artillery ammo from 75mm to 155mm, mortar rounds from 60mm to 120mm, flame thrower fuel, satchel charges, grenades, rockets, etc. and a host of small arms ammo; all of this in unlimited quantities packed in a box that can be carried on a jeep

Game Guide:
"AMMO CANISTER, crew is 1 and speed must be 0, usually transportable, supplies small ammo only (to WH size 3), low supply points per move (20 ammo points)"

Not quite as unrealistic as mentioned...
That's really in the game guide? I stand corrected. It's not as unrealistic as I believed. Looking in the game guide for information about a specific unit is nothing that would have occurred to me. As I mentioned before, I don't use ammo canisters anyhow so I haven't figured it out through the trial and error process.

Thanks for the information PopskiPPA.

Now I'm more puzzled than before. Why would someone want an ammo canister? Sounds like they are mainly useful for resupplying small arms and I don't think I've ever had a unit run out of bullets and grenades in the game.

Last edited by RERomine; December 10th, 2008 at 10:33 AM..
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RERomine View Post

That's really in the game guide? I stand corrected. It's not as unrealistic as I believed. Looking in the game guide for information about a specific unit is nothing that would have occurred to me. As I mentioned before, I don't use ammo canisters anyhow so I haven't figured it out through the trial and error process.

Thanks for the information PopskiPPA.

Now I'm more puzzled than before. Why would someone want an ammo canister? Sounds like they are mainly useful for resupplying small arms and I don't think I've ever had a unit run out of bullets and grenades in the game.

So please do explain if you don't bother to read the GG and don't use ammo cannisters anyway why would you assume you know how they work and what they supply then write all about it???

You have heard what ASSUME also stands for don't you ?? You just proved it

ammo cannisters are in the game so they can be used more or less as intended. to supply small arms ammo and are useful for that purpose in scenarios and, perhaps, to some players of big games as cheap, SMALL ammo resupply device. YOu may never find a use for them but every player isn't you.

Don
Old December 10th, 2008, 02:18 PM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAG View Post
So please do explain if you don't bother to read the G and don't use ammo cannisters anyway why would you assume you know how they work and what they supply then write all about it???

You have heard what ASSUME also stands for don't you ?? You just proved it.
No, I don't use them, but I can easily go out and see what they can and can't do. I may change my mind whether I use them based on what I hear from people and see. What I went out and did was tested the air drop aspect of them and the impact of the suggested C-47 changes and not really what they were and weren't capable of supplying. Yes, I did make an assumption there

As for the game guide, I don't look in the game guide for information about specific units and some things appear self explanatory. It's not irrational to conclude that bunkers and dumps provide ammo the fastest, followed by trucks and the like and finally ammo canisters. I use bunkers and mobile supplies all the time and figured it out by trial and error.

As far as their being limited on what they can supply, I admitted I was wrong to an extent. There was an extra caveat I didn't know about limiting warhead size. They can't supply large stuff yet are still are bottomless sources of what they do supply. One box can supply almost 3600lbs of 50mm ATG HE ammo (500 rounds) in 50 turns. That is a pretty heavy box. AP rounds are more than 20% heavier. I understand this is because grenades and 50mm ATG rounds are both WH3. In this case intent and reality skewed in different directions.

My conclusion about what they could provide was lead in the wrong direction based on information out on one of the ladder sites as well, which implies ammo canisters can provide mortar ammo:

Quote:
Mortars:

• Buy in batteries
• No more then 1 hex between tubes
• Cannot be set up in houses
One section of ammo boxes allowed per battery
• Max onboard size 120mm
Discussions involved all mortars and not just the small ones like the Italian 45mm. The other company's product might be responsible for the confusion as well. I know Shrapnel isn't responsible for incorrect information put out by other sources, but I based my conclusions partially on that.

Quote:
ammo cannisters are in the game so they can be used more or less as intended. to supply small arms ammo and are useful for that purpose in scenarios and, perhaps, to some players of big games as cheap, SMALL ammo resupply device. YOu may never find a use for them but every player isn't you.

Don
There are several reasons I don't use them. Even though they are cheap, they are vulnerable to incoming artillery. I don't use ammo dumps either for the same reason. Another reason is they are immobile unless I want to buy transport for them. I might as well buy ammo truck if I'm going to do that. More typically, I use armored ammo carriers. Mobility helps to alleviate the vulnerability to artillery fire. The fact that they are limited in what they can supply, obviously never crossed my mind.

In game terms, my experiences and only mine, haven't generated a need or practical opportunity to resupply small arms. The only unit I've ever had run out of small arms ammunition wasn't even a leg unit. It was a very experienced Tiger crew that ran out of machine gun ammo. Being experienced, they fired much more often than typical units and burned through what they had. With leg units, I find and again, these are only my experiences, units become combat ineffective long before they run out of ammo.

Yes, other people probably have different experiences and some probably have the same. For people who find uses for them, by all means they should use them. If I found a use for them, I would do the same.

Overall, it's all just opinion and you know what they say about that
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Private

montieth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
who would drop a disassembled howitzer into a battle area? , i think there were no air dropped 105s, but theres a pack 105
Someone who wanted the close fire support vs having NONE.

The 75mm Pack Howitzer M1A1 with Carriage M8 was broken down into specific components suitable for air dropping. These were Paracrates M1-M7, M8 Parachest and M9 Paracassion.

M1 Front trail
M2 Rear traila nd axle
M3 Bottom sleigh and recoil mechanism
M4 cradel and top sleigh
M5 Gun Tube
M6 Breechblock and sight
M7 wheels
M8 Parachest Ammunition, 10 rounds packed in fiber cannisters
M9 Paracassion, a knockdown hand drawn cart for moving 8 complete rounds.

The whole assembly of 9 paracrates have total weight of 2571 lbs.

The US and British Availed themselves of this method of providing close fire support to their Paras. Everything larger was deployed by glider.