This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:46 PM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road
Default I see... C O L O R S !

Yesterday a friend and I spent an evening trying to get an old computer functional, and playing games on the one that was already working. The monitor on the working computer had been failing for weeks (if not months), but its poor performance last night finally inspired me to replace it with another that I had onhand which I didn't think was in as bad shape.

I am boggled at the difference it makes. Without the distortions from the old monitor, I can see fine details that I had forgotten (sometimes never knew) were even there. It's actually taking me some time to get used to the "real" colors and shapes.

If you're putting up with flaky hardware, do yourself a favor and replace or repair it. You'll be glad you did.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Lieutenant General

Kamog is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I see... C O L O R S !

I know what you mean. I used to have a Daytek 15" CRT monitor a few years ago. It was good when it was new, but over time the colors got darker and darker. I turned the brightness up and tried the adjustments but that didn't help much. When I played SEIV it was very hard to read the green text for the organic resources. I used a monitor calibration program which helped a little, but I still couldn't see the darker colors because they all came out black. So I forgot there was supposed to be a blue grid background on the quadrant map. The improvement was dramatic when I upgraded my equipment.
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I was getting razzed by people about my horrible color choices on my web pages. Getting a new monitor showed me what they were talking about.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:47 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

I dunno Gandalf. I've seen people get new monitors and decide it's time to make their web pages have tiny font and use dim low-contrast grey on grey...
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:58 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kamog said:When I played SEIV it was very hard to read the green text for the organic resources.
Exactly. I had the same problem with the old monitor; I used to have to turn the gamma correction up to 3 to see the organics.

I can almost read the dark blue on black parts of PBW, now.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Just a helpful tip. Before you go buy a new monitor or video card, make sure the monitor cable is plugged in tight and screwed in on both sides of the plug. I got a new monitor the other day and the colors were all washed out and gray looking. I thought I had got a bad one till I noticed the colors would get brighter when I wiggled the cable. Turned out of the standoffs was missing on my video card. The previous monitor didn't seem to mind it, I guess the pins were a little bigger and stayed put without the connector being screwed in or something. But this new monitor needed to be clamped down tight. When I got another standoff and screwed in the connector the picture and colors came in crystal clear.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:37 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed my old monitor was starting to get blurry in spots and faded. Come to find out, all it needed was to be degaussed, but my monitor lacked a degauss button or option. A quick consultation with the manual revealed if I held the auto-adjust button, it would degauss itself.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I wonder how many perfectly good monitors end up in the trash for that. Would it degauss if its left unplugged for awhile?

Computer stores report many "lockheed fixes". The person brings it in with all kinds of problems that the store can simply return the computer and charge for a fix. Unplugging the machine for abit in order to bring it in tended to fix it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:49 AM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

A lot of monitors, the older ones definitely because they lacked any kind of degaussing system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degauss

The wikipedia provides! All hail the wikipedia! Hail!

Monitors without a degauss function can be degaussed by placing a degauss-enabled monitor face-to-face with the target monitor. Activating the degauss function on the enabled monitor can help degauss the other. Alternatively, one can affix two oppositely poled magnets to either side of a drill bit, attach it to a drill, and then hold the spinning drill to the target monitor.

Degaussing can also help reduce the distortion due to static electricity that often results from long term usage of the monitor, especially in older monitors
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

You sure about that magnet thingy? As in, it's not from Docktor Narton's "how to defraggle the motherdisc" tutorial?
http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php

Just kidding of course, but it does sound rather suspicious