This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old May 12th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road
Default OT : Cooking

Since we have a politics thread, I thought I'd start a cooking one.

Anyone have any recipes to share?

Jazzepi
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT : Cooking

Not really. But I've had this growing affection for Fried Rice lately. If you have some leftover rice in the fridge you just grab it and like ALL the vegetables that are about to go bad and through it into a skillet. Cook it up with some oil and soy sauce and you have a passable meal.
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Lately as a diet aid Ive been keeping a bowl of mixed nuts out. A small handful really does curb appetite and it lets my get right back to Dom3 gaming.

The only "recipe" Ive come up with is two hotpockets and pour a can of beans or chili over it, then heat.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM

Sergeant

BandarLover is on a distinguished road

Gandalf, that's bachelor food. I should know.

But I have to admit to a fondness for cooking, especially pasta dishes. I make a pretty good stuffed manicotti(sp?) and real good seafood enchiladas, if I don't say so myself.

And beer chili for football season. Does anything NOT go good with beer?
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Major General

I love making this.

You need
--------
One package of Fat Free Hotdogs (Use 3-4 of them)
One can of vegetarian baked beans (Use the whole thing)
Two red potatoes
Cottage Cheese

Prep
--------
Chop up the hotdogs into small cylinders
Chop up potatoes into a couple of flat discs

Cooking
--------
Put the potatoes into water. Boil under tender, something like 10-15 minutes on high.

Use a good number of slabs of butter into a large flat pan. Melt it. The put the potatoes in face down. Cook them until they get a nice brown shade. Flip and repeat for the other side. Spice with salt and pepper lightly after they're finished cooking.

Put hotdogs and beans both into a pot. All you need to do is warm them up. I use a habenaro spicy sauce and lots of Cumin to give it a nice kick. If you don't like spicy, just use the Cumin.

Serve all on one plate, and add low fat cottage cheese. Don't mix the cottage cheese in, just put it on the plate alongside everything else.

It's a nice low calorie low fat meal.

Jazzepi
Old May 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

Hmm, are we talking just quick meals or any type of cooking?

I am a very excellent chef, particularly when it comes to grilling, frying and baking. I am terrible when it comes to doing deserts though.

Here is a quick meal that tastes really good

I guess you would call it "Italian Stir Fry"

You need:
Half a stick of butter
2-3lbs of sliced boneless chicken breast(depending on how many you are cooking for)
Fat Free Italian dressing(It is better than regular Italian because it has more spices and less oil)
Slivered almonds
garlic
1 bag of the stir fry mix you get in the frozen goods section that only has sliced bell pepper (orange,green,red) and onion.
soy sauce
little bit of salt and pepper.
Habanero pepper sauce (or texas pete, tobasco sauce is fine)

Here is how you make it:

Heat the skillet to medium, place the butter, the garlic and the slivered almonds in the skillet.

As the butter melts and begins to sauté the slivered almonds, add the chicken which should be thinly sliced as if you were making fajitas.

Put a little bit of soy sauce (to taste) on the chicken, a splash of hot sauce and allow it to absorb into the meat. Pour enough italian dressing on the chicken to coat the side that is facing up. (alternately you can marinade the chicken in the italian dressing before you cook)

Salt and Pepper to taste.

Let the chicken cook and use a spatula to flip the pieces once the bottom looks done. Put more italian dressing on the other side of the chicken and allow it to cook.

When the chicken is almost done, add the frozen stir fry vegetables (Around half a bag) to the skillet. Cook for 5 more minutes, drain the excess water from the frozen vegetables.

Serve with rice. <3

Prep time and cooking time less than a half hour and anyone can make it.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM

First Lieutenant

LoloMo is on a distinguished road

My favorite lazy boy snack/meal/breakfast is 1/2 liter of lactose free full cream milk (I need the calories, plus full cream just tastes way better), a few handfuls of Planters Mixed Nuts, and a couple handfuls of Ocean Spray Dried Cranberries. All munched while figuring out how to pummel 500 magma children and umbrals with wolves. 700-800 calories, protein, carbs, fats, calcium, vitamins, antioxidants, all the stuff a growing boy needs =)
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:31 PM

Major General

I think you'd do well if you slathered the magma childern in beef juice.

Actually, all you need is some indy slingers armed with bullion cubes.

Jazzepi
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:37 AM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road

I'm disapointed by the lack of cannibals in Dom3.

You've got ghouls, sure. But that's old hat.

Wendigos?

Those cannibalistic cults that LA R'lyeh generates don't really get much for their cannibalistic practices! Of course, for my money, land-based R'lyeh cults should offer blood-sacrifices to the dreaming God.

Also, if you've got a deep-frier, it's all about fried chicken. The stuff is chock-full of calories, but it has a low glycemic index (meaning it doesn't do much to your blood sugar), so as part of a balanced diet, with some light exercise in-between turns, you should be okay.

The point is, you take whole mustard seeds - you can get these at most of those high volume hippy or natural food stores, maybe even organic (which might actually do some good in a food as oily as a mustard seed) and you add them straight to the batter, about 10% of the volume.

Your fried chicken comes out spicy and delicious, without even any need for hot sauce (although I add a little tabasco after frying, even so.)
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:16 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road
Default Cooking for the sake of cooking.

Ok, so it's come to my attention that this thread was made, perhaps, in protest of the Politics thread. That's fine, I have nothing against the whole "peaceful public demonstration" thing.

However, it's kind of a shame if it can't be a good thread on it's own merits.

Food is as important a thing as religion or music or war, culturally, and-since the other three elements are pretty integral and vital parts of the game-(and if you don't think music is, well I kind of feel sorry for you, sitting there playing all muted in an empty room with nothing good to listen to.) well, why not a serious discussion of food?

It's an important aspect of life that has changed and evolved, and learning about it teaches us something about how people used to live. They didn't do all that hunting and raiding and worshipping for laughs, they did it to help them eat.