.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old October 15th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dagur MA (Hosting Change)

I think this might be my last game for MA Marignon. I just don't know how to use these guys effectively. That, and if they come up against a nation with fire resistance, they are toast.
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Sergeant

Also, congratulations on the win Wraith Lord.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

Thanks Warhammer.

I was always under the impression that MA Marig. is a powerful nation, but I admit I never played it competitively. Maybe there's some strategy guide for this nation that can help play it effectively. After all they have strong astral magic (the best magic school), good ranged units, great cavalry, good bless option, great priest so it looks like they should be a match for the top tier nations out there.
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Sergeant

Default I agree

I agree with your points, it looks like they should play well, but I've never gotten them to.

I think one of my issues is that I have been taking 2 drain, which hampers their research quite a bit. I think they need at least 1 magic to get their witch hunters up to 6 RPs.

Their big problem is twofold:

1) They have very little magic diversity. Sure, they get some air and earth magic, but that only comes on some of the Grand Masters who are old and have other issues.

2) They are very dependant upon fire magic evocations in battles. If they run up against a fire resistant nation, they are in deep trouble.

The other problem I find with them is that for their Knights, you need to go with a bless. If you go that route, you will tend to have terrible scales. But, if you have terrible scales, it is hard to mass the troops necessary to make the bless work. Plus, their mages almost force you to take some order so that you have the money to pay for the Knights and the mages.

Now, the other option is to go with a bit of a rainbow pretender that has maybe two steps in each path outside of fire and astral, but then you get a crap bless.

One thing with Marignon is that you definitely do not want misfortune. The events you get with Marignon seem to be much worse than those with other nations.
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Sergeant

Default Re: I agree

For the record, in this game, I had exactly one mage who had any air magic, and he got an affliction immediately. I had one or two guys who got some earth magic, but I never got any earth boots until late in the game, so he didn't help all that much.
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:35 PM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I agree

It seems like one possible way to offset Marig weaknesses as you have pointed out is to do the following:

1. Take good scales (order for money, growth for old mages and money and magic +1 for research)

2. Take "crap" bless on rainbow pretender. Marig. I guess can be played in two extremes, either great bless that gives you crap scales and no diversity in magic and then you have to rush rush rush for in the end game you'll be toast or with "crap" bless as I suggest. Take 4E, 4A, 4D, 4N on a dormant rainbow mage.

3. Fire can be used for economy and summons, not only evoc. plus FftS is one of the best artillery spells.

Ahmm, I kinda like to stick to a few nations that I like, no matter their perceived strengths. Now Pythium is by all accounts a strong nation but it took me a long while to get used to it and play it effectively.
What I'm saying is, if you like this nation, I'm sure you'll find the way to make it rock, so don't give up