Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old February 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 120mm Ammo used by...

The "problem" is that WinSPMBT only has HE, HEAT, AP, or Sabot ammo types.
While the M908, or M830, may not be "true" HEAT rounds they'd probably fit better under the HEAT ammo category then any of the other three.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
For the sake of simplicity however I'd probably stick this round with the "engineer" and/or "mine clearing" tanks in WinSPMBT in place of HEAT rounds. Why HEAT instead of Sabot? Simply because I'm assuming the M908 will have some "HE" type effect (similar to the current HEAT rounds) thus could replace them for game purposes. The removal of the Sabot rounds would render "engineer"/"mine clearing" tanks virtually impotent for anti-armor work.

Who said anything about removing the sabot rounds from engineer tanks????

Not me.

It IS done in some OOB's because the main function of engineer vehicles is to deal with mines and or dragons teeth type obstacles and have large HE loads to fend off infantry as they are the only thing that can freely move through obstacles that's what the AI and human players throw at working engineer vehicles if there is no clear LOS

When I mentioned the M908 I had only just started digging up info on it and it is basically irrelevant to the game. In reality it's designed to remove obstacles by breaking them into small enough bits the dozer can deal with . We don't removed obstacles (like dragons teeth )in the game in that manner but in the end they end up removed just not with all the smoke and noise and if, in the game you wanted to take on a concrete bunker that would perhaps , in reality, be what the M908 could also be used for, the games going to use Sabot or HEAT not "HE" so in reality the M908 is something like a cross between Sabot and Heat in what it can do and in game terms that's already covered well enough by standard Sabot and HEAT.

Don
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
The "problem" is that WinSPMBT only has HE, HEAT, AP, or Sabot ammo types.
While the M908, or M830, may not be "true" HEAT rounds they'd probably fit better under the HEAT ammo category then any of the other three.

Exactly. They are HEAT in game terms and in game terms the M908 and the M830A1 it was modified from do exactly the same job in exactly the same way. Armour is Armour ( or if you prefer, Armor is Armor ) The game knows nothing about concrete or steel.

Once I had all the info I needed and had the time to read through it I realized it wasn't relevant. When I first posted I had only just started to investigate

Don
Old February 16th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
For the sake of simplicity however I'd probably stick this round with the "engineer" and/or "mine clearing" tanks in WinSPMBT in place of HEAT rounds. Why HEAT instead of Sabot? Simply because I'm assuming the M908 will have some "HE" type effect (similar to the current HEAT rounds) thus could replace them for game purposes. The removal of the Sabot rounds would render "engineer"/"mine clearing" tanks virtually impotent for anti-armor work.

Who said anything about removing the sabot rounds from engineer tanks????

Not me.

It IS done in some OOB's because the main function of engineer vehicles is to deal with mines and or dragons teeth type obstacles and have large HE loads to fend off infantry as they are the only thing that can freely move through obstacles that's what the AI and human players throw at working engineer vehicles if there is no clear LOS

When I mentioned the M908 I had only just started digging up info on it and it is basically irrelevant to the game. In reality it's designed to remove obstacles by breaking them into small enough bits the dozer can deal with . We don't removed obstacles (like dragons teeth )in the game in that manner but in the end they end up removed just not with all the smoke and noise and if, in the game you wanted to take on a concrete bunker that would perhaps , in reality, be what the M908 could also be used for, the games going to use Sabot or HEAT not "HE" so in reality the M908 is something like a cross between Sabot and Heat in what it can do and in game terms that's already covered well enough by standard Sabot and HEAT.

Don
My comment was directed at certain players not those that do serious research.
Perhaps I should use a sniper rifle rather then a shotgun when I post

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:41 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: 120mm Ammo used by...

This is just submitted as food for thought...
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...itions/120.htm I did find it interesting that it appears all our 120mm rounds and Germany's are interchangeable between the Abrams and Leopard tanks. Just another source nothing else, note the type rounds are linked on the left side of this general article.
Pat
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

And this will show US ammo being fired by Leopards

That was the point of standardizing a gun that allies could share ammo and one reason the Challengers will be changing to a smoothbore eventually

Don