.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Old February 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM

Private

Caseshot is on a distinguished road
Default Real Ships Names

This looks like it has all the makings of a Great Game, and you are obviously putting lots of work into it.

So...please, please !! use the names of real ships by class of the periods your representing. So far as I can tell from your home page Tutorials that`s not the case now.

The OOB`s of both the RN, French, and US Navies of this time frame is readly available.

I hope this link works, while not complete it is very accurate for the Napolonic Wars

http://home.gci.net/~stall/shiplst1.htm

This would add so much to the realism you seem committed to.
Old February 15th, 2005, 11:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Real Ships Names

Caseshot:

Thanks for that excellent link! I will be keeping that for reference, and I will see what I can do….

Salvo in its current incarnation does not promise to provide historically accurate scenarios and recreations of famous battles. Rather, I am trying to build the game mechanics and functions for the best combination of realism and playability. It would be wonderful to also have highly accurate scenarios and all the historical details to really round out the game: but pointless if the game is no good.

I have opted (in no small part due to fiscal considerations) to go ahead and have this initial release of Salvo already on the market while I pursue the options for historical accuracy. <Most probably some more accurate scenarios and a battle editor of some sort. > You may want to think of it as learning to sail a sunfish before you captain on to the Bounty.

There is a lot to do, and I cant get those darned Cats & Dogs to stick to their schedules!

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:44 AM

Sergeant

Sniper is on a distinguished road

Does the game support more than one player in anyway at this time?
Old March 1st, 2005, 11:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

Sniper:

No.

Salvo is a single player turn based game where the player plays against the AI. I hope to correct this lack of adversarial variety soon, but I do not expect to do so for the initial release.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Private

Blaque is on a distinguished road

I fully agree with Caseshot on the convenience of using real names for the ships. While I'd like Salvo to include historical scenarios, I know that non-historical ones may prove equally enjoyable and even more challenging -but I would feel disappointed if forced to play with fleets made up of ships which never existed... or which are wrongly depicted on the screen, as pointed out by 'old Anorak'.
Andrew, you may find a complete list of Spanish ships of the line 1730-1830 (plus interesting details about many of them) at
http://todoababor.webcindario.com/listado/index.htm
The list of Spanish frigates at http://todoababor.webcindario.com/da...tas_armada.htm
I've noticed some mistakes in the Spanish names depicted on the screenshots, so I am entirely at your disposal to revise the "Spanish portion" of your game, and to help in your research of the Spanish navy.
As an old Mac user, I want to thank you very much for your extra effort in releasing Salvo for the Mac. Wonderful news!
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

Caseshot & Blaque

I have been neglecting answer these posts – but now I must say %#@!##@. Can I say that? Well I wish I had had these links before I setup all the scenarios some time back.

Truly those are excellent sources and ones that would have helped greatly. Unfortunately – the scenarios are already in place and I’m not sure that I will have a chance to change the vessels designations. It is one of the drawbacks of a relatively small operation (they don’t get much smaller – and I used to be on a diet) that work already invested in something is precious and is hard to revisit, even if it could be improved.

This may sound bad, but it is also a opportunity for improvement. Let me try to get Salvo’s code and functions right - and there will be plenty of time to update the game with a scenario editor that lets anyone create more historically accurate games.

Thanks for that excellent links!