.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space

Old December 15th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Corporal

Zogu is on a distinguished road
Default Translating

Hi!
I've looked at the game resources and files, and it seems that Weird Worlds would be easily translated in other western languages (based on ISO 8851-1).

Maybe I could produce a port to Canadian French, as my first mod... that would allow some of my friends (who aren't fluent in English) to play the game...
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:37 AM

Corporal

Default Re: Translating

Addendum to my first message.

I can easily translate all the "storyline" resources: item names, planet names, characters, dialogs, events, and so on. Everything that is moddable (of course).

But is it possible to modify the game's built-in labels, dialogs, and button text? The stuff that's part of the user interface in the game...

If not, it would be nice to include a fully "resource-based" version of the game in a further release. It doesn't require much effort -- simply transfer all the displayed labels into a text or ini file. This would make the game totally localizable (translatable), and it would reach a much broader public.

Games translated in certain languages are quite rare -- say, Swedish, Icelandic and Catalan. These languages are based on the standard Western character set.

If somebody from these communities can perform the WW:RTIS translation easily, this would open great markets for the game. Not everybody is fluent in English, but most people have a credit card.

Modding and localizing (translating) are two slightly different activities, but I'm pretty sure WW can be flexible enough to provide both.
Old December 16th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Sergeant

Fingers is on a distinguished road

There are some hardcoded strings you can't currently change in a mod. All the text was modifiable in Strange Adventures in Infinite Space so it would've been possible to localize it, but nobody ever did... It's a lot more work than you think, as there's a ton of text in the game in hundreds of separate files.
Old December 16th, 2005, 06:58 PM

Corporal

I'm a professional translator (English to French), and I work on resource files very often. I translate/localize large applications for telecommunications companies.

I used a word counting tool to evaluate the amount of work in WW (excluding the hardcoded stuff of course -- which isn't that large anyway), and it's OK. It can be done as a nice side project/hobby.

PS: I've worked (marginally) on translations for Lux (a Risk clone by Sillysoft -- I've also modded for that game) and YaBB (a bulletin board software).
Old December 16th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Sergeant

Fingers is on a distinguished road

Well, maybe we'll add a strings.ini in the 1.2 or something