.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old July 3rd, 2020, 10:00 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German Campaign using War Cab

This is going to be a simple post as the artillery is back & I need to remember where they are hitting.
We have now lost 27 units the Brits 98

Starting at the top
More Churchills turned up a squad assaulted & killed 1 I am guessing the others have turned in to reinforce the centre as have lost sight of them.
Barrage is heavy here including 5in which really hurt if your out in the open. D platoon moved against the Churchills & lost 10 men to the artillery all squads damaged only one not routed. E & F platoon have been totally wiped out so there is not a lot of A Co left. One of its HMGs & the Co Leader are only units unscathed.

All squads are gone from the main approach as that was A Co they have a free run to the bridge & are only 3 hexes from VHexes now. They put up a valiant fight & the 2nd to last one hero rallied & took a Sherman with him. Lost sight now but more Churchills & trucks turned up I counted 19 armoured units still coming. God help us this is getting really complicated I have had to place smoke to stop me taking fire from the new arrivals while I engage the lead tanks. Hopefully mainly with flank shots there are quite a few Churchills now in fact one is leading the way. The AI is making it difficult to I have not seen a tank move at more than 2 hex speed in the last 5 turns here so am burning through artillery ammo to suppress them & reduce accuracy.
Things are really reaching a head right now.
Star StuG is on 19 kills but is down to 10 AP rounds & again in a really dangerous position.

The 2 tanks that moved up SW of the bridge have taken up position & dug in without incident just before the barrage intensified. Of course they can't see a damn thing now, I just knew this was going to happen.

Amazingly the immobile StuG still lives it took 2 PIAT hits but we managed to route the squad. Other squads were held at bay also. I decided to bring the other StuG back to give support as we regained control of the situation. A Churchill is on the other side of the trees but approaching in its field of fire, however now we cannot see a thing here either.

In the South sent a couple of squads on a recce mission we have 2 Honeys inbound which I am not worried about so I have managed to reposition 2 tanks with a LOS covering this side of the road to the bridge. Long shots around 24 hexes & not ideal by any means but at least they are free of the barrage & can see something - for now.
Cannot spare the arty for that SPGun so sent squads & an AT team with back up from the 250/11 to take it out. In position to attack this turn except guess what they are all pinned hit by arty. It missed the 250 & SPgun maybe its going to move the area to the right of it took a pounding from 25pounders.

My arty got a partial refill but one of the ammo trucks had not fled far enough so died & crew has abandoned his post. Hope I do not lose contact with my 17cm battery currently walking it around waiting for the best time to use the last of its ammo which will probably be next turn. Immunity to CB is great especially in this battle but fairly limited ammo & no smoke are the trade off.

Confident unless visibility goes completely I can stop them reaching the second group of VHexes after the bridge. If they reach the first however taking them back will be a mission. Of course the AI has demonstrated good use of smoke in past assaults which will really throw a spanner in the works.
Old July 3rd, 2020, 11:55 PM

General

Turn 23 This battle is just bonkers should have called it the engagement from hell instead of barrage which is moderate & I am trying to pick paths through it.
With that great thing called hindsight deploying either side of the main approach was a good call, if only I had placed those mines things would have been far easier.
I deployed to many units in the South however & should have placed a few transport units in the area behind the bridge so my tanks could move up into the emplacements under smoke.

Got some respect for the MkIV's they have proved surprisingly resilient to mid/long range attacks. If this was later & the Brits had APDS most would be toast by now.
Calling StuG's tanks, I have 9 in the North
1 is immobile - 3 cannot move & fire - 1 only has 2 shots - 1 has lost its gun - 1 has 3 AP rounds left so 2 are in good order.
The 4 tanks supporting from the South have faired better 2 have light damage but are mission capable.

The scary thing is most are hanging in the breeze as is the remaining infantry there as we had to leave safety to intercept the British drive.

Most of the infantry here were tasked with finding positions with LOS that the tanks could move to, been a major headache trying to find them.
A few infantry there have other tasks - squad & AT team are going up against a Churchill - squad & sniper are going on a recce mission. That focused on stopping tanks forgot about the infantry want to see what I am up against.

Arty will need to pause & reload before targeting them as the only way to win the tank battle was to throw everything at them.
My 15cm infantry guns are the only ones with a healthy ammo supply, they have not been targeted at all by the barrage - 17cm is out of ammo.
Pretty sure my arty killed 2 tanks think what happens if theirs hit my damaged ones while they are in the open, Sayonara Baby.
Which begs the question how exactly do I stop the infantry?

Managed to stop most of the Brits you can see the kill zone quite clearly however smoke dischargers messed thing up & 2 made it to the victory hexes.
I cannot see the lead tank because of this, think its undamaged but retreating please please run. Ha just checked I have lost LOS to the one on the bridge as well things just get better & better.
Its worse unless things clear I now only have 2 tanks with a LOS to the bridge approach - a 1 shot tank has LOS to the hex before the bridge & a lightly damaged one can target the road hex right of it. I am not stressed honest please let the tanks I can see be it.
Situation with & without smoke

The immobile StuG still lives the Churchill went elsewhere, the supporting one will have to pull out again because of artillery fire.
One of my 15cm infantry guns is supporting them & is the only piece that was not directed at the main force - couple of MG are helping to. Its tied up 6 squads for a good while now but its day is done the ammo bins will be dry next turn.
Strongly considered pulling the fairly intact Pz Gren & his halftrack out to try & slip round the back through the woods & get some eyes on things.
Decided 6 against 2 with MMG support they will duke it out to the end & tie those squads up, do not think the Brits will task armour here.

Down South the SPgun is dead - forgot till I looked it has an unarmoured rear so just fired squad weapons there for an easy kill.
Turns out there were 3 Honeys one still lives
The 2 squads that went for a look have moved fairly far East, bit tricky avoiding Honeys line of sight but they report no contact.
High confidence the battle for these VHexes is nearly over so we are pulling units as the artillery allows leaving a small attending force.
One ATG made a high risk trip & hopefully will move to take up position covering the bridge area next go.
Trip was to risky arty just missed it so the rest will take the long route all the way round the back of the map to avoid it when they can move out.
Remaining arty transport is heading over to ferry them as I have little transport here.
Need more infantry in the North for eyes not just armour.
This is going to take a fair while, considered charging forward & round as of course its an arty free zone plus a punch to the rear but then I will probably run into AAA/ATG guns.

This is an insanely hard battle so much for remaining dug in, way to much can go wrong for my liking.
If we can get the Brits away from the VHexes I would expect then to throw in the towel but it will only take 1 size zero unit slipping through to prevent that leading to another 20 turns of hell.
Old July 4th, 2020, 01:04 AM

General

Quick update on AI turn little happened, barrage has eased somewhat
The Lone North Churchill has vanished probably heading to centre.

Lead Sherman did retreat, single shot tank scored a hit - no effect.
Just moved another & put a further 3 shots its way, 2 hit its now routed but that is one tough Sherman its still undamaged to my knowledge.
MkIV & a Churchill exchanged fire its damaged we came off worse.

Imm StuG is out of all ammo except a few AP rounds & now faces 9 squads there.
My damaged PZ Gren squad perished just the one in reasonable shape & HT remain.

South the last Honey died as did 2 Mech Scouts mainly by sniper fire, wonder if there is a 3rd they were probably riders.
Old July 4th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Can this program be used on a standalone scenario ?

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 4th, 2020, 12:07 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

The short answer is yes.
Old July 4th, 2020, 01:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,422 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Thanks

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old July 4th, 2020, 07:41 PM

General

DRG its worth taking for a test run even if it turns out not to be your cup of tea.
Old July 4th, 2020, 08:12 PM

General

Mid way through turn 26
We have lost a good portion of our core over 200 men, the Brits have lost over 900 & are still pressing forward.
Around 1,000 of there men will be manning the batteries I would guess big crews.
British morale might be fading the last turn seemed easier, lets hope so.
Discrepancy in kills is because it only records core forces campaigns, Bunker must have killed another unit I did not see & somehow its crew still lives

Its a complete mess we cannot stop the infantry heading for the bridge from entrenchments so have gambled on the long plot times for artillery & have moved out as its quietened down. Trying to head for areas it has not hit like the stream & further East in the hopes it hits where I was.
We were getting pounded so given up the emplacements we are now meeting them head on in an effort to reclaim the bridge.
Just thought to look at suppression screen this shows why staying in place was a problem, a lot of my force was being hit by artillery.
Slightly worrying that the average has risen in the last few turns, we have not avoided it all & the fighting has been pretty intense.
its not just the barrage that's causing suppression of course

Much of my arty has also left cover & taken up positions hidden by smoke from the fires in areas that were only hit at the start, they keep getting slapped in their entrenchments & resupply has been fairly untenable.
Most MGs are also getting low on ammo to so selective firing to conserve it.

Decided well forced really to split the South Force.
Some are going round to contain the area behind the bridge just in case & attack from the front. The others are moving NE to hopefully attack from the side.
They have had to lend support to stopping British infantry crossing the stream.
A small portion of the North Force have also edged forward & have run into light resistance, artillery is hampering operations here & the supporting tank had to withdraw.
Don't ask about the state of my tanks more are damaged than in good order now so have to be careful planning hit & run attacks.
North

South

Amazingly the immobile StuG still lives would be nice if we can save him, thought he would have bailed out or died by now its been assaulted at least 6 times

The action is not so intense now first ease up to date so this is what happened in main area - key is below

Target is 2 Churchills & routed Sherman part way through my turn, they have been hit with mild artillery
A - Couple shots each with MG for more suppression on squads there.
B - My squad attacks also then switch to other as take a lot of fire from newly seen squads at F
C - I hex moved & took out lead Sherman (done already)
D - I hex move receives I shot so other moves up between them they take out all 3 targets then run
visibility hexes are from D - heavy arty is falling in the hex we fired from hence scoot & shoot tactics.
E - Repulsed infantry advances
F - Discovered infantry & now dead routed Sherman
G - 3 more Churchill's turn up.
H - Poised to retake VHexes
Its all action there is no let up they just keep coming.

Superstar StuG is on 21 kills now, 19 in one battle must be a record surely. it only has a few MG rounds left.
Going to try making a run for the rear covered by the damaged StuG that is poised to retake the VHexes (that's the bunker crew behind him).
Probably just going to park up somewhere I would like to reload him but arty has priority.
British owned Vhexes are currently worth 430 points a turn to me so we need them back.
Major worry is getting caught badly by arty now we are in the open.
Old July 5th, 2020, 07:47 PM

General

A few British units are still turning up (unless they are empty trucks) but confident they have lost the will to fight now.
We had taken no losses in the last few turns then the arty resumed, those 5.5in hurt they are responsible for Allied kills. Also pretty sure one shell scored a direct hit on another squad killing 5 men.

North Force have I think won the skirmish there, tank went round the barrage to lend support. 250/11 failed to kill the Churchill but forced it to continue running & put a shot up its tail pipes ending its retreat.
They have partially achieved objective of getting eyes on enemy rear.
View from sniper last turn.

Overview of situation this turn with barrage resumed in force.

This has stopped play in most areas the units moving against the last 2 Churchills have had to retreat to safety.
Only areas we are risking movement this turn are
Road leading to bridge is clear 2 Pz Grens in HT will move to help 2 tanks performing dangerous task of picking through the wrecks now we have VHexes back.
Very heavy barrage to either side MGs & my FOO are being hit hard.
The push towards immobile StuG is free of barrage so will continue we might save him yet.
Tanks have actually done really well cannot remember ever having so many damaged units but importantly most still live.
4 are trying to avoid action & survive as damage is severe now things are wrapping up.
Old July 5th, 2020, 11:04 PM

General

Its all over thank heaven 2 solid hits by a 5.5 in battery wiped out a pristine squad in 2 turns - all 13 men ouch.
Decisive victory - very pleased with only losing 6 tanks in the mayhem. The poor infantry suffered badly A Co is at less than 1/3rd strength.
Artillery were exemplary returning to posts several times all but 3 are damaged, thought I had lost some.
Would not have liked to try this without op filter most tanks were set to infantry engage range 2 to stop distractions.

Glad we did not need to mop this lot there are a lot of units left, trucks obviously are empty & moved to safety but that's a lot of infantry to Shepard.

Suppression & readiness reports for the battle for you to make of what you will. Readiness is a contrived report by Eric that seems to represent the position fairly well in my view.

Readiness collapsed around the time I thought they gave up reinforcing my view cannot look at enemy reports till battle end.

We are tasked with taking advantage of the situation & pushing them back, attacking next battle.