.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 19th, 2001, 05:55 PM

Default Re: really big games

JimBob, I already went over that point. I want an even distribution of planets from just a dozen per system to 45 or so, not a lot of systems that look the same. You cannot get that unless you have at least 35 or so different system types with an equal percentage probabilty. Also, this will NOT get the improved climate I noted in a previous posting. One map Lasts a couple or three months of game time. So tedious though it may be, seven hours invested in a map is necessary and worth the effort.
Old May 19th, 2001, 06:08 PM

Corporal

jimbob55 is on a distinguished road

Fair enuf.
Just thought anyone who wanted large numbers of planets and didn't want to spend 7 hours editing a map could use it. I'm still running v1.30, so i haven't played with the editor. i'll update for the next patch (maybe).
Old May 19th, 2001, 06:20 PM

To repeat the procedure :
1) Generate games as usual until you find a map you like.
2) Make any changes you want to the map using the map editor BEFORE you move to step 3, because the map editor really HATES planets numbered greater than 31.
3) Generate new games loading the previous Version of the map repeatedly for a 10 good planet start for 14 + 6 random races until it bores you.
4) Then do the same except one race repeated 20 times moving down the list of races and starting over again until you choke on the number of planets.
5) If you are like me and want an even distribution then in step 4 modify the first of 20 to be an ancient race so that you can see how many planets are colonize/breathe each pass.

If you do not like big maps, nobody will force you to play one.....
Old May 26th, 2001, 11:59 PM

bump.

See posting TDM-Modpack politics in really big game for current status. A couple of people have emailed me about the map. Just thought those who do not check the board very often may be interested.
Old May 27th, 2001, 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by LCC:

Besides, the time needed to generate a map is less than a third of the time I estimate will be needed to PLAN the exploitation, which is also less than a third of the time needed to do the FIRST wave of expansion to 390 worlds. And THAT is about a third of what I estimate will be needed to get all the races to surrender. So about four percent of your time in a huge map game will be spent actually generating the map. As I said, my first hack took me twice as long as it should have.

From the 16th. Make that a factor of four on all stages and seven hours is about right - I was too optimistic.

Also the unmodified AI politics will NOT tolerate 390 worlds. I plan a cautious colonization of about 50 worlds (35 sphereworlds) with the remainder one at a time. I will retreat the colony fleets if all the AI get mad because I REALLY need the trade. See TDM-Modpack politics in really big game thread.

[This message has been edited by LCC (edited 26 May 2001).]
Old June 10th, 2001, 11:19 PM

bump So you do not have to look for this for the reference in thread "AI tech trade bug", See page 3 the first posting for what to change in settings.txt to use my turn 45 download in the scenario/mod archive.

Make that 5000/5000 on the ships/units
Use the systemnames.txt file posted in this thread.

[This message has been edited by LCC (edited 10 June 2001).]