.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 10th, 2007, 08:15 AM

Corporal

General_Jah is on a distinguished road
Default Help countering trampling monsters

I need help with a counter for Troglodytes that are trampling my men sized troops....

I'm playing Hellheim early age and am in a war to the death with Argatha.

I just had 1/2-2/3 of my entire nations army with my pretender litterly ROLLED over... I had some of my higher quality footman and horse, over a 100 of them in this fight... Around 20-30 Troglodytes were in the front of the enemy.

What can I do to counter this? The only thing I can think of is I have a province that can make Elephants but there has got to be another way!

Please help, thanks.
Old February 10th, 2007, 08:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Help countering trampling monsters

Anything that's size 4 is enough to stop them. You can't build anything that big, though.

Troglodytes don't have good protection, so you could try archers. Just recruit lots of indy archers and have them shoot at the Troglodytes. They have lots of hp, but they'll go down quite fast. Blade Wind would also work.

Troglodytes' magic resistance is respectable 12, but you could still try False Fetters. Earth Meld can also be used to ground them for one turn, but unfortunately Troglodytes are strong enough to break out from that in one turn.

Be sure to fight in cold lands. It won't help against the troglodytes, but Agarthans are cold-blooded. They'll get tired very fast.

EDIT: Fixed a typo in the first sentence. Size 4 is enough. Size 5 also works, but size 4 is enough.
Old February 10th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road

Use magic and archers to damage them before they reach you due to their low precision then get a mix of high defence troops and high damage troops(barbarians could work for the high damage due to their above average strength and high damage weapons)
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

TwoBits is on a distinguished road

Since we're on the topic, how about a counter to massed chariots? Especially the heavily armored variety (not sure if Arcoscephale's are such, but I'm pretty sure T'ien Ch'i's are, and maybe C'tis'?).
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Crushers (construction level 5) I seem to remember were pretty effective at stopping a similar problem I had against elephants. Just stick one or two in front of your army, it's funny to watch those tramplers look like they run into a wall and just stop. You need something else to follow through with some teeth, but they make good blockers.
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Trampling is not an absolute, its a formula which compares the size. Elephants can trample chariots but not nearly as easily as it can hoburgs. The chariots are size 4, and knights are size 3, so if you can create either one anyplace then you might want to add some.

Also you can try flanking and other effects to take out the commanders of the tramplers. And try setting your troops far back in the battlefield and set on hold-and-attack to give your archers more time to shoot and to tire out the tramplers abit when they charge you.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Corporal

General_Jah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Trampling is not an absolute, its a formula which compares the size. Elephants can trample chariots but not nearly as easily as it can hoburgs. The chariots are size 4, and knights are size 3, so if you can create either one anyplace then you might want to add some.

Also you can try flanking and other effects to take out the commanders of the tramplers. And try setting your troops far back in the battlefield and set on hold-and-attack to give your archers more time to shoot and to tire out the tramplers abit when they charge you.
thanks, I'll try building some more horse to counter them with lots of archers... and Ill see if I can't get some elephants in there for meat, but damn this is a real pain considering my front just fell lol