.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old May 27th, 2010, 02:34 PM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Luck/Turmoil versus Nothing.

Unless of course you get deep into game theory and everyone is planning on playing against you. The the optimum choice is to pick a sub-optimal build that maximizes a different style of play.

But, that wasn't the case. I agree that certain pretender choices are sub-optimal (Sleeping pretender on LA Ermor?), and that a given pretender may be optimal or nearly optimal in many to most situations, but I don't think this is a game where one can play like in a vacuum, you have to look at your opponents and the situation.

I guess that's all pretty obvious stuff...I'm probably preaching to the choir, so to speak.
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:26 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
The fortune teller ability has already been proven to stack, and a total of 100 does indeed prevent all bad events from happening (as the attached save file, which I posted ~2 years ago shows).

Posting false information about how specific game mechanics work (without first testing) only serves to confuse new players (and seasoned players for that matter)
It seems from today's independent test that you were right. Thank you for pointing out. I'm sorry but it was said to me by someone among old-timer players, so I assumed that it was true.
By the way, the same test also shown that total Fortuneteller 100 seems to prevent all bad events regardless of Misfortune. (Turm 3, Misf 3 - and only good events for 10-15 turns in several provinces).
Of course, my thesis about Fortuneteller being useful with both Luck and Misfortune still stands.
And, by the way, one current game where I have Misfortune 2 gave me 2 or 3 burned temples and 1 burned lab by the end of year 2. Are those who want to use Order/Misfortune strategy ready for such?
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Second Lieutenant

militarist is on a distinguished road

"By the way, the same test also shown that total Fortuneteller 100 seems to prevent all bad events...in several provinces "

That's interesting..Does it mean that your can have fortunetellers only in your capital and they work on all your territory? If it is so, it would be a revolution in my valuation of fortunetellers.
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:13 AM

Corporal

RadicalTurnip is on a distinguished road

Has anyone done any tests on whether fortune-telling can prevent bad events that were cast at you? Like Murdering Winter, or Volcanic eruption, or anything like that?
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarist View Post
"By the way, the same test also shown that total Fortuneteller 100 seems to prevent all bad events...in several provinces "

That's interesting..Does it mean that your can have fortunetellers only in your capital and they work on all your territory? If it is so, it would be a revolution in my valuation of fortunetellers.
No, it just means that as soon as you have fortunetellers to a total of FT 100 in a province, it stops to get bad events regardless of Misft score. Several provinces just allow for better statistics (and make running hundreds of turns tests unnecessary).
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalTurnip View Post
Has anyone done any tests on whether fortune-telling can prevent bad events that were cast at you? Like Murdering Winter, or Volcanic eruption, or anything like that?
Unlikely as they are generated by different mechanism. You may test it, though. I'd advice using Debug mod.
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:31 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrana View Post
Thank you for pointing out. I'm sorry but it was said to me by someone among old-timer players, so I assumed that it was true.
Please give that old-timer player a slap from me
Old May 29th, 2010, 04:59 AM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calahan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrana View Post
Thank you for pointing out. I'm sorry but it was said to me by someone among old-timer players, so I assumed that it was true.
Please give that old-timer player a slap from me
I'm afraid that would be physically impossible for some time.
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road

To give up the scales of 3 order/2 misfortune that dominated mp when i used to play, I think the heroes should be pretty nifty/exciting when you actually get one. Not be old, and less useful than many commanders other nations can buy in their castles. Which is why i always play with Throne of heroes(Middle age only) or Worthy Heroes.

Aside from the heroes, nations that NEED gold for a good start to survive in mp can rarely rely take turmoil. the loss of income is just too much.

While many here will bash this strategy, I have taken 3 order/3luck in large mp games with good players and won. The theory being that even with 3 order once you get a decent size area you will get 2-3 events a turn anyway. This strategy should not be tried with every race. In those cases i took 3 sloth 2 drain to offset the scales.

If you have trouble surviving the start of mp games, having 3 luck/3 order is also not going to be much use to you. I also sleep(not imprison) a tough pretender for the extra points.
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

Verjigorm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xietor View Post
To give up the scales of 3 order/2 misfortune that dominated mp when i used to play, I think the heroes should be pretty nifty/exciting when you actually get one. Not be old, and less useful than many commanders other nations can buy in their castles. Which is why i always play with Throne of heroes(Middle age only) or Worthy Heroes.

Aside from the heroes, nations that NEED gold for a good start to survive in mp can rarely rely take turmoil. the loss of income is just too much.

While many here will bash this strategy, I have taken 3 order/3luck in large mp games with good players and won. The theory being that even with 3 order once you get a decent size area you will get 2-3 events a turn anyway. This strategy should not be tried with every race. In those cases i took 3 sloth 2 drain to offset the scales.

If you have trouble surviving the start of mp games, having 3 luck/3 order is also not going to be much use to you. I also sleep(not imprison) a tough pretender for the extra points.
I've heard Order-3 Luck-3 is a good combination, but that costs 160 points all by itself which presumes that you're going to take a less powerful pretender. I'm assuming you go Rainbow or Fountain with that?

With the Sloth-3 Drain-2 that would indicate your going to be looking for a strong research nation with crappy national units and the non-awake pretender also means you have to be able to survive early game... which leaves very few possibilites... I would be looking at Bogarus with an early rush to Spined Devils and a sleeping Fountain of Blood or a similar build with Mictlan.