The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Captain

Black_Knyght is on a distinguished road
Default OT: Illegal immigrants sue Wendy\'s...

Okay, is it just me or is this insane?

ILLEGAL immigrants, using our LEGAL system, file a lawsuit to punish a company for not handling their ILLEGAL employment better.....!?!?!?

Illegal immigrants sue Wendy's

Old October 8th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Brigadier General

Rollo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: Illegal immigrants sue Wendy\'s...

Just because they are illegal immigrants, does not mean they have no rights.

Besides, the article states that the company deducted money from the employees paycheck for a programm that he was not part of.
Dungeon Odyssey:
Hack and Slash
Version 0.53e
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

The article said the immigrants thought to work legally. Why else did they pay 25$ per month?
I don't know the legal proceedings in the US but I guess they need to sue Wendys because the law firm, which made the mistake, worked on the behalf of Wendys. If Wendys lose the case they get the money from the law firm.
Thats the way it would work in Germany with Client, Contractor and Subcontractor. It represent who has a contract with whom and can pursue a claim from a contract.
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Corporal

ToddT is on a distinguished road

Read article, it appears wendyis but the caFe that had already started the program the lawfirm drooped the ball btu know new, Wenys is being sued in lagre part because probalbe has a far larger networth the the law firm, the did not follow thru on its end.
that said, terms do to which some laws in this country work, illegals actually have more legal options to sue over employment issues then do citizens.
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

Cipher7071 is on a distinguished road

If I understand this correctly, it would seem that if the immigrants are going to sue, they really have no choice but to sue Wendy's. Wendy's would then need to sue the law firm for some sort of legal malpractice to attempt to recoup their losses.
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

What a large pile of excrement.

I say let them sue. When they arrive at the courthouse, round 'em up and ship 'em out - after exacting fees for this service of course.
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

AMF is on a distinguished road

" Wendys'...had missed a deadline for joining a federal program that would have helped them attain legal status."

These are people who have been in the country for, at least in one case, 14 years

see the last line in the article: "...said Olivares, who has been in the country 14 years"

They've been slinging hash, and cooking french fries, and broiling hamburgers for $5.25 an hour so Americans can have their dollar cheesburgers and their quarter pounders with cheese. They've been doing this illegally, risking deportation to their home countries and separation from their families, or they've been sending every spare cent they have back to their families in their home country. They live in fear of the law, and at the mercy of clearly unscrupulous corporations who care only about the profit margin (after all, that's capitalism, folks)...these people do jobs, we are told, that no typical American citizen would stoop to doing...our (American) standard of living is based largely upon the efforts of these people, tens of millions of them, who live every day serving our fat @sses hamburgers and could be deported at any moment. And they've more than likely gone through hell to get here for the privilege of doing so.

They "deserve" to be "American" as much as anyone for all that they have gone through and put up with.

Heck, they deserve it more than most of "us" in fact.

What kind of people do we want to carry on the "American Dream"? We want someone who is going to swim across the Rio Grande in the dead of night, leaving behind their family in order to work hard, work long, and work for a pittance so that they canhelp themselves and their loved one's get a chance to get ahead.

Everyone who started in "America" was given most of what they have. These people earn every damn cent of what they get.

I shouldn't drink and post. But it had to be said.

Edit add 1: I put things in quotes to emphasize the "american-centric" aspect of this post.

Edit add 2: see my sig as a postscript.
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

There's a legal way to attain any dream or goal. There are also illegal ways. It's a matter of choice, hard work, patience, respect and determination to do things legally or illegally. Illegal acts must be punished, or the illegal nature of the act must be changed by law - and I'm not touching that one because I don't support it.

Do the crime, do the time...
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM

General

Renegade 13 is on a distinguished road

I think that if someone is an illegal immigrant, they should immediately and without recourse be shipped back where they came from (unless they want to try to claim asylum). If you don't make illegal immigration an unattractive option, it will continue and grow larger all the time. Deport 'em (after giving them the money that was taken from them illegally).

Maturity is knowing you were an idiot in the past. Wisdom is knowing that you'll be an idiot in the future.

Download the Nosral Confederacy (a shipset based upon the Phong) and the Tyrellian Imperium, an organic looking shipset I created! (The Nosral are the better of the two [img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Grin.gif[/img] )
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we just need to complete the process and annex Mexico. We already have half of the old territory, might as well integrate the rest. Maybe the people could finally get decent lives going without the horribly corrupt governtments they have had for decades/centuries...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.