.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 24th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Sergeant

Yossar is on a distinguished road
Default Now this is far more annoying than paralysis autokill

So I was playing single player and had a Lord of Hell fully decked out and practically invincible (at least against the computer). Sent him against a big Ermor army and he slowly and steadily chops it up. He goes berserk thanks to his sword. On I guess turn 50, it forces him to rout. Only he doesn't because he's berserk. On the next check (turn 60?) the armies of Ermor rout. Only they don't because they all have 100+ fatigue. My Lord of Hell is trying to finish everyone off but finally gets autokilled on turn 70 (?) with a handful of Ermor units left. Ouch. I guess the moral of the story is to stay away from berserk on super commanders but it was still stupid that that happened.
Old February 24th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

SurvivalistMerc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Now this is far more annoying than paralysis autokill

I find myself a lot more sympathetic to Yossar's position than to Peter's.

I think it doesn't take long playing the game to realize that retreating is only to adjacent friendly provinces. If you fly in and retreat...which does go into effect at turn 50...you have nowhere to retreat to. And I don't really recall very many people in the patch 2.08 discussion who opposed this result. Why can't you fly back? We'll call it "weariness" rather than fatigue if it makes you feel better.

I've encountered the same problem Yossar is experiencing. Berserk units that have to keep fighting and aren't able to retreat. Fighting against other berserk units that are still fighting and not able to retreat. I just about think if they're going to be autokilled maybe they should unberserk so that they have a chance to flee. It's not as if they are immobile or paralyzed or anything. And in the example given they don't appear to have flown into the middle of enemy territory with nowhere to flee to.
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:02 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

This is exactly what I was complaining about. Remember I said that paralyze was only a variable... the main problem is the autokill after x amount of turns.

BOTTOMLINE:
A) Switch the autokill into auto-retreat.
OR
B) Allow units on the battlefield to properly retreat.
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SurvivalistMerc:
[QB] I find myself a lot more sympathetic to Yossar's position than to Peter's.
Heh, from an objective viewpoint, both are just plain silly results (killing off a WINNING army arbitrarily?), though obviously results consistent with the design and not bugs.

And I do not really think that anybody needs to feel sympathetic or sorry for either of us - once you are in a situation where you throw around Ice Devils or Lords of Hell without backup, it is clear that you are winning anyway and just doing it for fun in SP. I cannot imagine that anybody would do it in MP.
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Daynarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by NTJedi:
This is exactly what I was complaining about. Remember I said that paralyze was only a variable... the main problem is the autokill after x amount of turns.

BOTTOMLINE:
A) Switch the autokill into auto-retreat.
OR
B) Allow units on the battlefield to properly retreat.
Good point. I will suggest this in my next bug report (not taking credit for it of course ).
Old February 25th, 2004, 02:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

Peter Ebbesen is on a distinguished road

Heh. I have had all six Ice Devils, fully equipped with the most modern of weaponry (including quickness, luck, etherealness, flying, regeneration, reinvigoration &etc, autokilled by autorouting after turn 50?. Due to regeneration and reinvigoration, every single one of them was still killing 1-3 enemies per turn and in as fine shape as at the start of combat - when the battle rules forced them to flee anyhow. As they had flow in to the attack, they got eliminated. (And I had to resummon them all over the next two turns, and begin making new equipment)

An incredibly annoying feature. If you can fly 3 provinces in depth to attack, completely ignoring the terrain you pass over, why are you eliminated if you cannot retreat to a neighbouring province? Too tired to fly further, I guess. Except that it has nothing to do with fatigue.

The morale is, I guess, that no matter what you do, do not attack anywhere that you might need more than 50 rounds to win, no matter how outrageously powerful your attacking force is.