Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 20th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Private

manteuffel is on a distinguished road
Confused SHPedit Help Needed

I almost have SHPedit working but I keep getting stuck at one part when I want to incorporate my new shapefile into the game. This is what typically happens...

-I load palette, upload shapefile, view shapefile "Icon0095" to determine number to edit "43", download it as a bitmap, edit it, upload the new bitmap,

[here is where it gets tricky for me] change that bitmap into a shapefile "the bitmap gray background turns to light blue", then I select "replace old shp with new" button...

So now I am a little lost. I've tried to rename both "bignew" and "newshp" but 1.] Can't find them in regular windows (when not in SHPedit) and 2.] When I rename them in SHPedit they become an icon with a lock next to it.

ANY help would be awesome and I can be more detailed if you need it.
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: SHPedit Help Needed

Ask Cross that he knows much about it. Cross has a tutorial on Winspmbt.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=47320
The Following User Says Thank You to Roman For This Useful Post:
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Private

Thanks a lot I will check this out!
“You cannot be disciplined in great things and indiscipline in small things. Brave undisciplined men have no chance against the discipline and valor of other men. Have you ever seen a few policemen handle a crowd?”
-General George S. Patton Jr
Old April 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Once you add a new SHP, BIGNEW.shp is created. If you have further editing you use that NOT the original SHP. When you are done normally you delete the old shp and rename BIGNEW to that deleted SHP's name but when starting out I would recommend you simply rename Icon0095.shp to XIcon0095.shp then rename BIGNew as Icon0095.shp as a safely.

Ignore NEWSHP

BIGNew gets created in the SHP folder of the file you are editing. I've never seen this lock issue

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old April 23rd, 2011, 11:08 AM

Private

Okay guys ran into another error. I used the tutorial on how to edit icons
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...highlight=icon
but I got stuck at step 7. I think this is the problem.

When I search for the new shp file named BIGNEW it is not there however I can see the regular program shp files just fine.

I researched the "locked icon" and it probably has something to do with access permission because every time I mess with a shp file it needs my administrator permission. As soon as an icon's data is changed the lock appears. This doesn't happen if I simply rename an icon file (ex: Icon0095.shp to XIcon0095). Any advise?

If I can't figure out how to get the locks off would someone be willing to simply change some bitmaps into shp files for me?
“You cannot be disciplined in great things and indiscipline in small things. Brave undisciplined men have no chance against the discipline and valor of other men. Have you ever seen a few policemen handle a crowd?”
Old April 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteuffel View Post
Okay guys ran into another error. I used the tutorial on how to edit icons
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showt...highlight=icon
but I got stuck at step 7. I think this is the problem.

When I search for the new shp file named BIGNEW it is not there however I can see the regular program shp files just fine.

I researched the "locked icon" and it probably has something to do with access permission because every time I mess with a shp file it needs my administrator permission. As soon as an icon's data is changed the lock appears. This doesn't happen if I simply rename an icon file (ex: Icon0095.shp to XIcon0095). Any advise?

If I can't figure out how to get the locks off would someone be willing to simply change some bitmaps into shp files for me?
Since you are talking about the O/S moaning at you for permissions, then you have either Windows Vista or Seven?.

If so - have you got the programmes installed in the /program files/ managed hierarchy?. if so, those Operating Systems will try to "nanny" your files. Some that it thinks are data files will be squirrelled away under your user profile instead of being put into the correct game working folders etc.

The cure is to reinstall to a folder entirely outside of /program files/, when the nanny functions will not get in the way.

That works for any programmes written before Windows Vista arrived - not just this game.

Cheers
Andy
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old April 23rd, 2011, 02:31 PM

Private

Thanks for that. Cross was talking to me earlier about that and I can't believe that windows 7 could mess my stuff up that bad! I was going crazy because the manual on SHPedit didn't mention "hidden files."

Now I have another question. After moving everything I was able to save my shp file edits and they are actually changed. So I load my new Icon0095 and expect to see a new flag there...nope! Its the old flag still with no Icon0095 supporting that flag. Nuts! I feel so close and so far.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,851 Times in 1,216 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for that. Cross was talking to me earlier about that and I can't believe that windows 7 could mess my stuff up that bad! I was going crazy because the manual on SHPedit didn't mention "hidden files."

Now I have another question. After moving everything I was able to save my shp file edits and they are actually changed. So I load my new Icon0095 and expect to see a new flag there...nope! Its the old flag still with no Icon0095 supporting that flag. Nuts! I feel so close and so far.
Don't move your files to a new folder - since Windows vista/seven has squirrelled some files in weird places then they will be lost (or the links to them) if you do so.

Copy any working files to a safe place, then reinstall from scratch to a folder outside of /program files/. Then copy over any saved working files.

All that is covered in the sticky re windows seven and vista installation at the top of the forum, already.

Andy
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:05 AM

Private

Confused Re: SHPedit Help Needed

Weird. I relocated all shrapnel files outside of "program files" and it solved the lock errors but I'm still having a bit of a weird problem.

-The shp file I changed was edited using the palette for spww2.
-The original shp name was changed to OLDIcon0095.shp.
-The new shp is named Icon0095.
-When I was done editing I restarted the computer (Just because).

-I launched the program annnnnnd...no changes

What is weird is the program is using the old icon file when the old icon file isn't even there.
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Captain

Cross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
-The original shp name was changed to OLDIcon0095.shp.
-The new shp is named Icon0095.
-When I was done editing I restarted the computer (Just because).

-I launched the program annnnnnd...no changes

What is weird is the program is using the old icon file when the old icon file isn't even there.
Are you sure you edited the icon/icons that you think you edited?

Icon0095 is flags. Are you editing menu flags, or battle ID Tag flags?

Cross