.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old October 9th, 2017, 10:06 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Tall buildings

Been trying to get this to work again scenario 500 zip attached.

Best way I can find is create a hill at the height you want & put impassable terrain on it then surround it with buildings.
Your HQ is placed there in the example.

Multi hex buildings do not work past deploy stage, building 12,16 is the minimum size. Has squads in all exterior hexes.
Putting a hill under the interior hex raises all adjacent building hexes but it does not save even if its the last map action done.
i.e. place level 4 hill gives level 35 buildings surrounding.

May want to turn smoke on to test the HQs view there are a few fires.

Impassable terrain in roads raised to level 3 or 4 using * key is meant to represent fallen heavy rubble, vehicles cannot enter & infantry need to be on to see over & get cover.
Simple adjustment to urban maps changing LOS & denying areas to vehicles unless they want to risk crashing through buildings.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z spscn500.7z (27.6 KB, 216 views)
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tall buildings

Finally another high-rise-building thread.

I also experimented with it long time ago.
You can actually use multi-hex buildings, but only those that have empty space in the middle. That's where you put the hill (using * key) and put the impassable/rough on its cap.

Smokes, lower buildings, lower terrain elevations, and trees, all can be overcome when climbing such high rise buildings. I have tested it in two PBEM with these buildings.

Hopefully the developers will get this feature in the next release.

Two maps attached (slots 875 and 876):

Attached Files
File Type: zip Maps.zip (128.2 KB, 207 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old October 9th, 2017, 10:52 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Tall buildings

I also played with this idea, but following one of Pyro's threads to no avail. So, I am resigned to wait upon an official release, although the ideas in this thread are interesting.

Old March 27th, 2018, 12:31 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Tall buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Been trying to get this to work again scenario 500 zip attached.

Best way I can find is create a hill at the height you want & put impassable terrain on it then surround it with buildings.
Your HQ is placed there in the example.

Multi hex buildings do not work past deploy stage, building 12,16 is the minimum size. Has squads in all exterior hexes.
Putting a hill under the interior hex raises all adjacent building hexes but it does not save even if its the last map action done.
i.e. place level 4 hill gives level 35 buildings surrounding.

May want to turn smoke on to test the HQs view there are a few fires.

Impassable terrain in roads raised to level 3 or 4 using * key is meant to represent fallen heavy rubble, vehicles cannot enter & infantry need to be on to see over & get cover.
Simple adjustment to urban maps changing LOS & denying areas to vehicles unless they want to risk crashing through buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
Finally another high-rise-building thread.

I also experimented with it long time ago.
You can actually use multi-hex buildings, but only those that have empty space in the middle. That's where you put the hill (using * key) and put the impassable/rough on its cap.

Smokes, lower buildings, lower terrain elevations, and trees, all can be overcome when climbing such high rise buildings. I have tested it in two PBEM with these buildings.
I was, finally, able to create tall buildings; however, why is it necessary to cap the the "high" hill with impassable/rough terrain?

My mistake was that I kept putting my building on the high hill rather than surrounding the high hill with buildings.

I set the high hill at a height of 255.

Be patient, often I find I experience a "senior moment."

Old March 27th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

That has always been possible it just takes patience and should be the last thing you do on the map.

Using the advanced editor allows undo and redo which saves a LOT of frustration and allows you to build them off the main map then cut and paste them in

You have to "sneak up on it" then carefully remove the excess hill showing and avoid the registration hex

and in case anyone's wondering ....NO we didn't do anything on this....what we posted as the features added are all the features added
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tall building.png
Views:	503
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	15293  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old March 27th, 2018, 04:43 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I hadn't thought of this ... think I'll "borrow" the idea for a couple of the scenarios I have in mind.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old March 27th, 2018, 05:27 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

The big problem with adding this is as a game feature is I am guessing producing an object that has both the object height and the unit height.
Object height is simple trees to name but one but the unit is always at ground level.
Unit height (ground) things like tall grass snow drifts the unit sits on top at the object height.
The only option would probably be a 2 step option.
1 An object with adjustable height like trees, stone building defensive characteristics and impassable terrain movement characteristics.
2 An object that can be placed in the same hex and adjusts the unit (ground level) height possibly with no icon.
Lot of work really for something that might not work due to unforseen coding entanglements.
Old March 27th, 2018, 10:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

The impassable/rough "cap" is to ensure cover and concealment are good, because it is still "part" of the building.

And I tried with copy pasting to remove outlying slopes or any other methods I could think of. Nothing. It may appear correct at first glance, but once the map is scrolled (refreshed) the height values show flat building. The single hex containing the hill is key.

Imp's suggestion gives food for thought that maybe some (new) building types have obstacle height quite tall. Thus in itself, it's already tall, without underlying terrain being tall (which AFAIR was what Mobhack said what makes it difficult is that buildings always flatten small patch of elevated terrain).
Old March 27th, 2018, 10:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

It has been awhile since I poked around with that and yes. it may stay on a saved map but once troops are placed and the game started it will often revert to ground level but the effect can be inconsistent. I have seen it clear down.......and not as shown here

That reading shown is from the left hex the infantry occupies and that example is from a saved and reloaded scenario
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tall building2.png
Views:	482
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	15294  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; March 27th, 2018 at 10:27 PM..
Old March 28th, 2018, 12:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

I would like that saved file please.
My experiences in the past always showed ground level building using that technique.
But as you said, maybe your case was an exception to the rule.

Re: imp's suggestion, I was thinking if troops standing on wheat fields have higher elevation LOS (I've tested this) then maybe a new building type could be created like that. That is, instead of "object height" as in Trees in which the troops don't have higher LOS, make it like "terrain height" as in grass/wheat fields (I saw even when ground level says 0, but the wheat field height is 3 AFAIR, troops still have higher LOS; this is proven when the troops stand outside of the wheat field its LOS is blocked, but when standing on the wheat field, the LOS can go far across the wheat fields).

Given new building type has been created in the past (adobe buildings), I think creating a new building type with such "height" is not impossible.
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post: