Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old December 28th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
Yes to all; would in addition add A-26 INVADER ........

Regards,
Pat
So Pat did you miss the four that are already in the French OOB ??

Two of them are carrying Napalm and given the first SEVEN were only delivered to France in July of 1951 the March 1952 operational start date is quite reasonable and those were the only SEVEN available until SEVEN more were acquired in 1953.

???

Don

Last edited by DRG; December 28th, 2011 at 12:36 PM..
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:00 PM

Corporal

Palle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about Corps Expéditionnaire Français en Extrême-Orient, French Indoch

Don, I was about to say that, if in less hard words ;-)

Pat, I know we all want Dien Bien Phu as a campaign- I just do not think it feasible. How are we going to cram even the 4500 actual fighting men into one? If done it would have to be a series of campaigns depicting the different sectors. Which again would leave less leeway to improve on one or the other side's performance. But what I am talking about is the CEFEO in general during that very fascinating conflict, and pointing out the disrepancies between game and actual history that I stumble on; to help Don and Andy remedy them.

So, in summary Don; will you consider the following changes:
-French bombers/Fighter-Bombers can carry napalm from 1/51?
-Including the "Dinassaut" (French Riverrine forces)- or at least some of them (they were apparently- and logically- extensive)?

And just humour me and let me know whether one can actually build and deploy an armoured train?

Thanks.

Proud to be Danish!
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Question about Corps Expéditionnaire Français en Extrême-Orient, French Indoch

It's getting old people commenting on things the game should have when they are already in the game and long time players should know that.

Yes, there will be Napalm armed aircraft for the French in 1951 and as well the Helldiver start and end dates will be changed as they were not available until 1951 and the P-63 will be added as well.

As for armoured trains........ I guess I should consider myself lucky this only pops up now and then but we've already said this will NEVER happen and I will add I cannot think anything that would waste more time and resources more than frigging armoured trains.

Don

Last edited by DRG; December 28th, 2011 at 01:30 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Corporal

Thanks Don. As part of the Europa Barbarorum modding team, if I may presume to advice to just tell them "It is already there, *smiles overbearingly". It is equally embarrassing, but less harsh. Anyways, not my job to tell you how to run your forum...

And yes armoured trains were a waste of resources, so were the Maus, Carl, Dora, etc... Curiosities like that happen in war, and I suspect they were useful for guarding railway tracks in a guerrilla. But not for much else. Thanks for the reply, it is a curiosity that would be fun to try. I was not asking for them in the game, but whether I could make one myself.

I have another question (I am full of them- characteristic of a nub). At DBP the Quad-Fifties made a crucial difference at one point. Yet I cannot find them in the oob. Am I blind or are they not there?

Proud to be Danish!

Last edited by Palle; December 28th, 2011 at 01:59 PM..
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If you load an OOB then click on FILE then "Database check utilities" then do a search for the weapon you will usually find what you are looking for . In this case "quad" finds you weapon 61 and when you check the users of weapons 61 you will find it's used by unit 450 the M16.

So YES there are Quad-Fifties in the French OOB mounted on halftracks and available to beat off hordes of Viet Minh and since you did not specify how you wanted them mounted I can confidently say yes, they are in the OOB.

Here's some happyfaces

I wouldn't want anyone thinking that answer was "too harsh"

So.. were they available as ground mounts as well ??? If yes, I will add them.

Don

Last edited by DRG; December 28th, 2011 at 02:11 PM..
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

A quick google images search on "dien bien phu gun" brought this up:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/military-hist...craft-gun.html

Cheers
Andy
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:44 PM

Corporal

LOL Don... *chuckles. Happiness is very important. Poor pat got all frightened ;-)

In any case, yes I meant ground mounted. My bad for neglecting to point that out. I thought that as I did not say M16, you would know I meant ground mounted. But how can you read my thoughts to know what I mean when others are less stickler-ish and I too, often get sloppy?

But yes, there were 4 (IIRC) Quad Fifties at Dien Bien Phu. Martin Windrow they were M45C Maxson skeleton type, with M18 reflex AA sight, mounted on a M20 one-ton two wheel trailer, the combination designated M55. Windrow claims that they were prepared for indirect fire at the south of the airstrip. However, at Epervier; the location I am familiar with them from, they were used to mow down a Viet Minh Mass assault on the Bailey Bridge together with 4 105 mm Howizers firing directly at the enemy over sights at point blank range. There is a picture of one of them here and on a Hanoi Museum here.

Proud to be Danish!
Old December 28th, 2011, 07:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

......and now they are in the French OOB.

Don
Old December 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM

Corporal

Proud to be Danish!
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:53 AM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Question about Corps Expéditionnaire Français en Extrême-Orient, French Indoch

Don,
Simply no; was just answering the questions directly from the refs I provided. To the others just "threw that out there" about a campaign approach, as I indicated I have no desire to get into the technical aspects of the game or design. I simply look at it from the operator level which just offers a different perspective and hopefully insight into the workings of the game. As I was involved in a Navy project on a Submarine WSM it was my job along with a handful of others to evaluate the operability and real world usefulness of the software that was meant to be helpful and developed in a lab. Submarines, Ships, MPA and associated systems don't operate in a lab. This I hope will help some to better understand where my "head is at" when it comes to some of the issues I've brought up or have supported and have been supported on (Thank You!). The approach might be different and sometimes confusing but, what is important here is that the end result for everyone is that the game gets better for all as much as is possible within the architecture of it. Anyway enough said , I need some rack.

Regards,
Pat
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post: