Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > TO&Es
Notices

Old July 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM

Corporal

harlikwin is on a distinguished road
Default Weapon design question

I'm trying to figure out how to add some "sci-fi" weapons to the game.

Anyone have suggestions how to implement the following?
Laser: Essentially can hit whatever it can see quite easily, but its effects would be blocked by obscurants and performace degraded by weather effect.
My thoughts are to treat it as a HEAT weapon, with a small warhead size and high penetration.

Plasma gun: Essentially this weapon would have high damage/penetration at short ranges and then dissipate at medium/long ranges.
My thoughts are to use the AP weapon type and set a short range, but I don't think at longer ranges the penetration would suffer enough?
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:49 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weapon design question

Quote:
harlikwin said:
I'm trying to figure out how to add some "sci-fi" weapons to the game.

Anyone have suggestions how to implement the following?
Laser: Essentially can hit whatever it can see quite easily, but its effects would be blocked by obscurants and performace degraded by weather effect.
My thoughts are to treat it as a HEAT weapon, with a small warhead size and high penetration.

Plasma gun: Essentially this weapon would have high damage/penetration at short ranges and then dissipate at medium/long ranges.
My thoughts are to use the AP weapon type and set a short range, but I don't think at longer ranges the penetration would suffer enough?
There is some discussion on Sci-Fi mods going on already on the old DOS SPMBT Yahoo! discussion forum.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SPMBT/

You may want to check that out, as they may already have a wheel available, so you don't have to re-invent it !

Cheers
Andy
Old July 18th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Captain

PlasmaKrab is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weapon design question

Quote:
For laser, I am personnally quite fond of one solution, which is a flame weapon (vehicle flame) with low warhead size and high HEK, which will animate just like an autocannon (small puffs) and set fire to the hex. If you add a custom sound (sharp, dry clack) you can make a good high-energy, burst-firing laser.
You can use the HE warhead as standard (that would prevent you from having messages like "firing laser gun with HEAT ammo"... ) and set it to a high penetration. Anyway, a HEAT laser will be subjeced to ERA defence too...

As for having it subjected to wheather and smoke, the only way I can see is, as some already put it, to affect it to a low-vis unit which won't be able to target through smoke. Technically it could fire, but the result is just the same.