The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 27th, 2017, 10:06 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Op Fire Filters

So, I opened Gran1pa's latest scenario, Red: Killing Grounds, and proceeded to set Op Fire filters as is my custom. In particular setting for MBTs and ATGM units, but I filtered infantry too, although most infantry units were in urban area.

To my shock, none of my MBTs or ATGMs responded with a shot. Within a short order, the Russian armor horde had breached my line of defense.

Disenchanted, I opened Editor and built a quick test composed of a UK MBT platoon, supported by two SP-ATGM units and a squad of infantry ATGM. Battle date: 06/1984, UK vs Russia. Did not the Soviet Union disintegrate in 1991 into the several republics with a reconstituted Russia? If so, the game should display the Soviet flag for the year 1984.

After five turns the Russians breached the ATGMs unscathed. The Armor engagement setting was 20 hex for both MBTs and ATGMs.

In the subsequent case, I lifted all Op Fire filters and the result was startling.

I would have expected similar results with the Op Fire settings on especially considering the Russian side was assaulting.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brits MBT Side.jpg
Views:	1826
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	14777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian MBTs Untouched.jpg
Views:	1817
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	14778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian MBT Destroyed T01.JPG
Views:	1848
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	14779  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ATGM Op Filter Tests UK Side.zip (98.2 KB, 965 views)
File Type: zip ATGM Op Filter Tests Op Fire Filters Negative.zip (98.2 KB, 972 views)
Old June 27th, 2017, 11:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Op Fire Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post

Disenchanted, I opened Editor and built a quick test composed of a UK MBT platoon, supported by two SP-ATGM units and a squad of infantry ATGM. Battle date: 06/1984, UK vs Russia. Did not the Soviet Union disintegrate in 1991 into the several republics with a reconstituted Russia? If so, the game should display the Soviet flag for the year 1984.>
I am only going to comment on this one aspect...Opfire filters are Andys area but the game DOES display the Soviet flag for the year 1984.....

and that's the way they are displayed in my test and your save so IDK what exactly you are suggesting is wrong in regards to flags

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image6-84.jpg
Views:	1857
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	14782  

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; June 28th, 2017 at 12:09 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 28th, 2017, 02:37 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
Post Re: Op Fire Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post

Disenchanted, I opened Editor and built a quick test composed of a UK MBT platoon, supported by two SP-ATGM units and a squad of infantry ATGM. Battle date: 06/1984, UK vs Russia. Did not the Soviet Union disintegrate in 1991 into the several republics with a reconstituted Russia? If so, the game should display the Soviet flag for the year 1984.>
I am only going to comment on this one aspect...Opfire filters are Andys area but the game DOES display the Soviet flag for the year 1984.....

and that's the way they are displayed in my test and your save so IDK what exactly you are suggesting is wrong in regards to flags

Don
As the young folk say, "My bad."

Old June 28th, 2017, 02:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Regarding flags, the Russian or USSR flags are showing correctly on my machine.

But the Op Fire problem, it is confirmed, at least on my end here.

OpFire Filtered units won't fire at all, either outside or inside the set range (not the mere Y-range setting, but the real OpFire filter). This happens whether the overwatch hex is active or not. In my experiment, only the AFV Filter is turned ON, I don't know about other targets e.g Infantry. Once the Filter is removed, the units fire as normally (obviously without any filter now).

Maan, this is quite a problem Don. That's why I took the care to experiment it myself. I'm sorry I haven't played either games for quite some time now since the latest update, so I don't know of other bugs that may surface.

(speaking of filters, turns out my unfiltered kretek cigarettes have run out. i gotta go outside and buy some. anyone?)
Attached Files
File Type: zip Slot 0 Save. UK vs Rus. Yanuar 85.zip (28.6 KB, 920 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old June 28th, 2017, 03:21 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

I'll check the opfire filters later as I am out today, but the first question would be - what armour values are set? - if too high, then they wont fire e.g. if set at 99 steel, and the targets are 20 steel front.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 28th, 2017, 03:37 AM

Captain

Post Re: Op Fire Filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
I'll check the opfire filters later as I am out today, but the first question would be - what armour values are set? - if too high, then they wont fire e.g. if set at 99 steel, and the targets are 20 steel front.
You may recall my thread on the Israeli assault boats, where a Milan III team shot a missile at first a rubber raft then an assault boat with armor rating at 1.

Here, in these series of tests, let me say I am a CD user, and I did not set any armor values whatsoever.

Old June 28th, 2017, 03:39 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Been away for a week but my op filter worked perfectly
Old June 28th, 2017, 04:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It was only the "Armor Range" that I set, not Armor values. Set at 3 hexes.

Cheers!

UPDATE:
If I deliberately set the Armor Value, e.g Max at 87 and Min at 1 (or even at 0, so long as Max is defined), then OpFire Filter works perfectly as it should. Problem occurs only when you set the Armor Range, but leaves Armor Value at 0 (either deliberately or automatically let it at 0 unattended).

OpFire Filter's range against Infantry also works as it should, even if I don't set the Armor Values.

On a side note, the simple Y-key range filter works as it should (i.e you're not using the dedicated OpFire filter dialogue).

In conclusion, I believe this is not a problem, since one obviously should at least define BOTH the "Armor Range" and "Armor Value", to tell OpFire filter to work properly against armors (against infantry types it is normal all along as stated above).

UPDATE: When an AFV fires its main gun AGAINST an OpFire-Filtered target, this OpFire filter's max Range will be automatically changed to reach that firing unit. For example, an American M1A2 whose OpFire filter has been set as 3 hex, gets fired by a Russian T-90A using its main gun at a range of 10 hexes, the Abram's 3 hex limit will be automatically raised into 10 hex, to meet that Russian tank. If it's not a main gun that fires, the hex limit won't change, as it normally should.

In conclusion, I still think it's not a problem, as the M1A2 obviously needs to defend itself when under clear and present danger (Russian main gun), thus OpFire range is increased so it can have its own OpFire agains that T-90A.

Last edited by RightDeve; June 28th, 2017 at 05:26 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old June 28th, 2017, 06:18 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Op Fire Filters

DRG EDIT: I have made bold the very important issue of setting in and max armour values and made this a sticky for the next time this "issue" comes up.

The op-fire filter requires you to set min and max armour values - otherwise it has nothing to filer on. This is unlike the "Y" key function which is a range-only filter.

All filtering in the game gets switched off (set to range +1 of the firer IIRC for the plain Y function) when the unit gets fired upon by some enemy, in order to allow it to reply to the enemy unit with reverse opfire if it survived the shot. This is SP 101, and has been since SP1 (Or maybe 2?) - whenever the "Y" key feature arrived anyway.

It also applies in reverse if you manually fire at an enemy unit, so that it is able to fire on it without you having to set filters- otherwise the unit would refuse to fire, resulting in confused end users.

So you may need to reset filtering if those circumstances occur, and you wish the unit to revert to being "choosy" once more when the threat is dealt with.

Last edited by DRG; June 28th, 2017 at 07:13 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old June 28th, 2017, 07:07 AM

Captain

Potion Re: Op Fire Filters

Quote:
The op-fire filter requires you to set min and max armour values - otherwise it has nothing to filer on. This is unlike the "Y" key function which is a range-only filter.

All filtering in the game gets switched off (set to range +1 of the firer IIRC for the plain Y function) when the unit gets fired upon by some enemy, in order to allow it to reply to the enemy unit with reverse opfire if it survived the shot. This is SP 101, and has been since SP1 (Or maybe 2?) - whenever the "Y" key feature arrived anyway.

It also applies in reverse if you manually fire at an enemy unit, so that it is able to fire on it without you having to set filters- otherwise the unit would refuse to fire, resulting in confused end users.

So you may need to reset filtering if those circumstances occur, and you wish the unit to revert to being "choosy" once more when the threat is dealt with.
I follow you so far. But, I am telling you...I do not recall ever setting Armor values. But, then again, maybe I should tell the doc next time to check for some kinda dementia.

I remember we had this similar conversation with my Israeli Assault Boats issue. And, as suggested I set armor min/max values, but the Milan III team still let loose on an assault boat with only 1 armor rating.

I'll go over my settings in my ATGM test and report back.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post: