.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 9th, 2007, 06:08 PM

Lieutenant General

Xietor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Pangaea-best starting troops?

here are some thoughts:

1. if you play Pangaea and like having a super contender, there is none better in the entire game then the Gorgon, properly equipped. My gorgon starts 5e 4n 3 a, sleeping.
By the time she awakes, I will have 4 construction and 4 alteration. if i have no air gems, i search for them(typically i will hire mercenary mages to hunt for astral and air games early on. Gorgon wears silver hauberk chest, regeneration ring, eye shield, some revig items, and 5 earth helm.

Now properly protected from arrows, and with a 25 armor class unbuffed, she goes into battle. she casts mistform, mirror image, and elemental fortitude, then attacks closest enemy. I try toi keep her at my end battlefield to avoid smites, and some other caster spells. She is devasting.

later in the game with haunted forest, she is unbeatable in her own dominion.

2. Production is good to take.

I always take 2 production 3 order, 1 growth. I take 2 heat to get extra points, as well as sleeping the gorgon. Having 2 production makes the armored pangaea troops a viable option. Hoplites are dirt cheap 13 gold infantry. 16 prot, 14 hp, 14 defense, 11 str 11 attack, heal afflictions. best infantry in the game for the cost.

Centaur cataphact is a bargain calvary unit at 40 gold. 19 prot plus high defense, plus heals afflictions! No comparison between these and the 9 protection centaur warrior. If you want berserk troops get the minotaur warrior with 17 protection and plus 4 berserk and trample for just 10 gold more.

Plus with 350 gold a pop mages, taking 3 sloth cuts into your income(: I find 3 order, 2 prod, 1 growth gives me income and ability to purchase well armored troops(i can still get centaur warrior, i just have more options with 2 prod v 3 sloth).

In short, i cannot imagine playing pangaea without the gorgon or with sloth. If you have not tried the gorgon with 5e 4n 3 air, give it a try. research 4 construction right off the bat so she can get silver hauberk, which is a key for her. If dagan can find 5 astral gems, have him make a luck charm to go with her ring of regeneration. she is very tough with no luck, but with it she will not die in her own dominion, and typically not even in -5 enemy dominion, but that is risky. She is virtually immune to melee and ranged damage, though if unlucky she can be smited etc.
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Some other Pangaea musings:

1. 6 slings as a castle defense when their ranged troops have longbow? What is up with that?

2. Summoned troops: I like going conj 4 and have 2 mages summon kithaironic lions the whole game after i get mother oak up. A popular choice seems be vine ogres, but since they require magical leadership, and they basically suck with 5 protection, I think it is not worth the effort. sure you can say legion steel, protection blah blah blah, but id rather buff up tougher troops like the regular great lions that have great speed and a good attack. Plus the regular lions do not require magical leadership and you can have a ton of them in an army. I do think the nature summons at 4 is not as good as fire, earth and water summons. you get 5 ethereal with those summons, though the cost is higher in gems.

3. casting mother oak/gift of health: i use a bought mage to cast these. rarely 1 will come with 5 nature, but 4 nature is common. With 4 nature and 4 construction(thistle mace)
the mage can cast these with small effort. Since I use the Gorgon as a battle sc, there is no reason to risk a double loss of your pretender and 2 globals as well. I usually have my gorgon make a robe of missile protection for the mage so he cannot die to a seeking arrow.

4. another pet peeve, Pangaea's starting castle has only 30 admin. So it is doubly nice to snag another pretender's home castle early so you can have a 50 or 60 admin castle to crank out huge numbers of hoplites, war minotaurs, and armored centaurs. Especially if you took 2 prod!

5. my ultimate "i win" spell with the gorgon is the haunted forest. Flying around in friendly dominion and fighting with this spell up is a blast. petrify and you have 5-10 allies fighting with you each turn.
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Interesting. Most of my Pangaea writeups involved either the Lord of the Wild (more maenads) or Carrion Dragon (more vine creatures). Usually with -3 on both order and productivity, possible +3 on luck. Going with the lower armored units of course, and more stealth.

Slings instead of crossbows? Sounds like a bug. Is that the defense from PD?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 9th, 2007, 10:41 PM

Lieutenant General

I did not type correctly, longbows, not crossbows. The castle defense, logically, should have longbows, since they have ranged troops with longbows and none with slings.

PD has no ranged troops at all until 25, when they get some centaur longbows.
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:27 PM

Lieutenant General

Another advantage of 3 air, is you can get the lightning helm at construction 6 and the pills of breathing to get the gorgon into the water at construction 4. the barrel of air, at construction 6, gets a mage and an army into the water.
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Major General

Jazzepi is on a distinguished road

Eeek.

With -3 on both order and productivity.

How do you afford to buy anything?

Jazzepi
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Dedas is on a distinguished road

I have it in the game I'm playing with Pangaea (multiplayer), and it is working fine. You just have to take luck 3 and you will get a lot of money anyway. It combines well with order -3 (turmoil).
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Order -3 boosts the effects of luck +3 realy REALLY well. Yes, the initial start is abit slow. I also tend to take low dominion so once you get a few farmlands out past your dominion push then things get better. Its not a good small-map tactic, and I think that Pangaea is about the only one Id consider it with.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Xietor said:
Centaur cataphact is a bargain calvary unit at 40 gold. 19 prot plus high defense, plus heals afflictions! No comparison between these and the 9 protection centaur warrior. If you want berserk troops get the minotaur warrior with 17 protection and plus 4 berserk and trample for just 10 gold more.
Sometimes the cataphact is better than the warrior, but sometimes the warrior's 3 higher defence means it lasts a lot longer.

I prefer centaur warriors over War minotaurs against most foes, even for the same gold cost. Minotaurs have trample and enc6, so they trample into the middle of the enemy infantry, get tired fast, then get hit a lot with their 7 def. And no shield to help against xbows. They only use their battleaxes against size3 and bigger, but with attack9 they cant hit much.

A strong bless makes the White centaurs really fearsome. Add two points of defence and glamour and they'd be Vans.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road

Best MA pan troops = White Centaurs

Followed by harpies for mass patrolling tricks.