BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old March 19th, 2013, 06:35 PM

Corporal

Akmatov is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question Re Red, Blue and Green OOBs

LOL - just logged back on to quickly erase my request for Sweden before anyone read it. I had just realized Sweden is already represented - yep, those guys with the blue flag and the gold cross.

See, this just reinforces the need for Switzerland. If Sweden can make the cut, surely those cheese-making, yodeling bankers should have an OOB!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM

Corporal

zastava128 is on a distinguished road

I may be able to make a draft version of an Ethiopian OOB some time in the future. I've found some literature, but it contains some significant contradictions, and there's little info on artillery.

It would be an interesting one, though, with feudal levies fighting alongside western-trained Imperial Guardsmen, and weaponry ranging from spears and bows to WW1 tanks and German field guns (provided by Nazi Germany back when they were in bad relations with Fascist Italy).
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:14 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmatov View Post
LOL - just logged back on to quickly erase my request for Sweden before anyone read it. I had just realized Sweden is already represented - yep, those guys with the blue flag and the gold cross.

See, this just reinforces the need for Switzerland. If Sweden can make the cut, surely those cheese-making, yodeling bankers should have an OOB!
Here's the major differnces between Sweden and the Swiss in WW2.

Sweden(although neutral) was occupied then later revolted so got involed in the war,where as the Swiss were never occupied,the germans knew the tough swiss and terrian and since they where mostly germanic anyway it was not feasialble to go that way and left them alone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_during_World_War_II
Old April 21st, 2013, 08:12 AM

Corporal

AMX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
Sweden(although neutral) was occupied...
No.
Did you even read your own link?
Old April 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Old April 21st, 2013, 03:52 PM

First Lieutenant

Ts4EVER is on a distinguished road

I guess he was thinking of Norway?
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:14 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I was thinking of norway but some how got sweden mixed up,just call it a senior moment
My apolgises to the swedeish members in the forum.
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:46 AM

Corporal

zastava128 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmatov View Post
Well I have the impression that the designers wanted the game to be more-or-less historically accurate. Hence no Sealion in the German campaign, for example.

If Switzerland was included, one could also make the case to include Turkey (both sides tried to get it to join), or Denmark (what if they had tried to fight?), or Portugal (could have potentially joined the Axis had Franco done so). Personally I don't think any of them are worth doing - they're too "what if".

As for countries that actually did participate in the war, and weren't discussed before:

Albania would be interesting, but good luck finding literature on their equipment.

Croatia was a joint Italian-German puppet state that had some 260,000+ men at peak strength, and also sent troops to the Eastern Front. A few units representing them do exist in the current Yugoslav OOB, and I tried to add more, but it didn't really feel right, and was very confusing. I do have enough material to make a proper custom OOB for them, and will post it sometime in the future.

Ethiopia of course was invaded by Italy, but also had a strong resistance movement that helped the Brits drive the Italians out. Like I said above, I might be able to make some sort of OOB sometime in the future, though information is hard to come by. But a more serious problem is, would they have any chance against the Italians? How would they stop Italian tanks, when 80+ percent of their troops didn't even have Hand Grenades?

Finally, Iran and Iraq both fought against the allies in 1941, but the conflicts were so quick and one sided it's really not worth it.
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

I once tried to make a Turkish orbat. I found lots of references to the 1930s and 40s, but they were all in Turkish, which I don't read. There's lots in English on the Ottoman army, but that's too early, and plenty on the 1960s and later.

troopie
Old June 3rd, 2013, 11:02 AM

Corporal

TDR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
[
ANZAC is a small enough OOB and scenario set, that the Kiwis could be split off (Existing scenarios, AI pick list, extracting the batlocs from the existing ANZAC mixture). Oz could remain as the same OOB ID, renamed and re-flagged.

Cheers
Andy
That sounds like a nice idea. It would avoid a lot of incorrect mixing post the Aust departure from the ME war zone.
It would allow a bit more detail re the 1st Aust Armoured Div, yes there was one, also the Motor Regts.