Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old May 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM

Private

Panzermeyer is on a distinguished road
Default Scouts

I've been trying, without luck, to find a section of the manual that talks about recon. Sorry I haven't had time to read it cover to cover yet. I saw the chart that listed scouts as "infantry clone". I see that my scouts have one movement point more than my rifle squads. Is there any other benefit to scouts besides that? Can they see better? Hide better?
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scouts

I remember reading- the smaller the number of men, the harder they are to spot, and this also makes them better at hiding. scout sections being 3-4 are harder to spot then a full sized infantry unit.
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Scouts are size zero infantry units, so harder to spot. And costed as more for that fact.

Some OOB designers will give them an extra MP, or maybe a swim point, for that little bit more manouverability (e.g. in traversing bad going) but that is not a cast in stone rule.

Reconaissance is about going slowly. Even size 0 units will be relatively easily spotted by a stationary observer (especially infantry) if they charge arount the place at a full run. So, as with all infantry units, if you think you may be in LOS and within 500m or so of probable enemy, keep the speed to 1 hex if you think you may be spotted. Keep range set to 1 so it does not pop off at likely targets, either. Scouting is generally about getting into a useful OP without detection, and then sitting still there.

A scout, sniper or observer unit that you have managed to sneak unobserved through the enemy front lines is a massively useful asset .

I also avoid the scout teams that some OOB designers have "Ramboed up" with everything plus the kitchen sink. That will cost more points, and scout teams are not fighting units. Voluntary use of weapons is only if the target is worth expending the team on, involuntary use of weapons means you have overstayed your welcome..

Cheers
Andy
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:28 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Outfit your scouts with carbines or SMGs and hand grenades. Rifles, especially sniper rifles should be avoided. Set the range at one or two, and keep to it.

One of the strong points of this game, and SPMBT, is real world tactics work. You CAN use what you learned in Infantry school. (There, see, your Plt.Sgt. was right. All that stuff WAS worth learning.)

troopie