.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old December 6th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Default Lifeless.

Is there any reason that Static pretenders like a Fountain of Blood, an Oracle or a Monolith should get the following:

Poison (Maybe if the Fountain of Blood uses it's blood for power, and it's tied to it's life, and needs to be pure, but come on?)

Disease (Gogo Harvester of Sorrow)

Lost an Eye?

Lost an Arm?

Weakened?

Chest Wound?

Limp?!?!

Also I noticed that most of the time the AI makes crap items for it's Immobile Pretender. Slave Matrix?!, Amulet of the Fish (Go team!).

Just a few thoughts.
Old December 6th, 2003, 09:56 AM

Sergeant

Wendigo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lifeless.

-Poison: I thought rocky pretenders where all poison resistant same as constructs, anyone that is not?

-Disesase: Even tho they get disseased they ignore the results, much like undead. At least this is how it was in Dom I.

-Eyes & arms: the game seems to have different flags for this (ie tentacleface has no eyes, an abomination has many) so if you find any odd results here just post it in the bugs forum.
Old December 6th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Sergeant

Chris Byler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
Is there any reason that Static pretenders like a Fountain of Blood, an Oracle or a Monolith should get the following:

Poison (Maybe if the Fountain of Blood uses it's blood for power, and it's tied to it's life, and needs to be pure, but come on?)

Disease (Gogo Harvester of Sorrow)

Lost an Eye?

Lost an Arm?

Weakened?

Chest Wound?

Limp?!?!

Also I noticed that most of the time the AI makes crap items for it's Immobile Pretender. Slave Matrix?!, Amulet of the Fish (Go team!).

Just a few thoughts.
I think that all lifeless units (which should include the rocks, if any of them aren't lifeless that's definitely a bug) are immune to poison and disease (they can get disease but it doesn't affect them).

Some rocks *can* lose body parts - a sphinx has eyes, a sacred statue has both eyes and arms (although I don't remember if it can wield any weapons with its arms). Others shouldn't be able to (Monolith). Rocks that have heads should be able to lose them (unlike living beings, which can't lose all their heads without dying). Of course losing all of your heads should also inflict blindness.

Weakened and chest wound should probably have no effect on lifeless units (or be impossible for them to acquire).

Limp (and possibly crippled) shouldn't be allowed for anything that doesn't depend on appendages for movement (how does a wyrm get a limp?). For knights, chariots, etc. it should go away at the end of the battle, when the rider changes to a fresh mount. (Obviously if it's affecting movement rate, it must be the horse that has the limp.) I can see it affecting a crusher, lumber construct, etc. though - damage to the legs could still impede its movement.

And of course anything that isn't mindless should be able to get battle fright and feeblemind.

I can't comment on the items issue - the only item I've ever noticed on an AI pretender was a crystal heart. Hopefully my Machaka game will be un-stalled when the patch is released...
Old December 10th, 2003, 06:13 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Byler:
[QB]
Quote:
I think that all lifeless units (which should include the rocks, if any of them aren't lifeless that's definitely a bug) are immune to poison and disease (they can get disease but it doesn't affect them).
I have poisoned both a Fountain of Blood and an Oracle as of yet. I don't know whether this is intentional or not; but they have both died from poison hits and affected by a few rounds of poison. (I.E. I look at their hp before poison 'effect' shown, and then after, and they have lower hp)

Quote:
Some rocks *can* lose body parts - a sphinx has eyes, a sacred statue has both eyes and arms (although I don't remember if it can wield any weapons with its arms). Others shouldn't be able to (Monolith). Rocks that have heads should be able to lose them (unlike living beings, which can't lose all their heads without dying). Of course losing all of your heads should also inflict blindness.
I have blinded a Monolith (this is easy to test with Blindness spell), I've had a Oracle and Fountain of Blood Limp, Lost an Eye, Chest Wound, and Never-healing Wound afflictions. I am specificially targeting these 3 units so that when the teleport Ability is taken away, they are still useful. I feel they shouldn't be affected by normal afflictions if they are theoretically a piece of stone with a spirit inhabiting it.

Quote:
Weakened and chest wound should probably have no effect on lifeless units (or be impossible for them to acquire).
I agree

Quote:
I can't comment on the items issue - the only item I've ever noticed on an AI pretender was a crystal heart. Hopefully my Machaka game will be un-stalled when the patch is released...
I feel for you. I haven't found anything of that nature. Though if the AI is worked on in this fashion. I believe it should upgrade it's items in a priority fashion. Not using items that are inherently weak. Like using a Burning Pearl when a Ring of Fire would be better suited for a pretender especially those that are primary casters.
Old December 10th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Corporal

Teleolurian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What if you lose a head when you're the Stone Head ??

Okay, that was uncalled for.