.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old January 29th, 2004, 07:49 AM

Default More Nation Specific Pretenders!

Some nations have a veritable plethora of National Specific pretenders that you can only play through them. While making more pretenders for each nation would be fantastic, I would hope you could also limit a few of all these pretenders to specific nations (and of course try to allow nations to try to take advantage of blessings).

Maybe limit the Moloch to a few less nations? Along with a few others? Notables are Cyclops, Naga and Golden Naga.
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:04 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road
Default Re: More Nation Specific Pretenders!

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen:
Maybe limit the Moloch to a few less nations? Along with a few others? Notables are Cyclops, Naga and Golden Naga.
I don't think that this would be a very good idea. considering that the Cyclops and Moloch are the only pretenders with three in their respective magic paths. The nagas are already limited to not being very useful for the cold nations, or for a nation that has sacred mages and thus doesn't want a nature blessing.
Old January 29th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Oh I agree Graeme, I don't want to limit the ability of blessings. But I may just be one of a few that would like Pretenders to be a little more unique. For Fire9 Blessings you only see Molochs and Fire Dragons, for Earth9 Blessings it's hard to look at any other pretender than a Cyclops. But perhaps they could be replaced with more thematic or simply "different" sprites, names, descriptions and abilities that are thematically based on each nation.

As I stated in another thread I'd hope they would give each nation a few options of Upper dominion (3+) while having useful magics, even if they had to increase the new Path price by a significant amount (like a Moloch)
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Major General

Arralen is on a distinguished road

Try to get a pretender with water-4 or even -6 for Man or Ti-Chi ... you'll most likely end up with the same old boring frost father every time.

I would like to get the Daughter of the River back (thematically fitting for both IMHO), but I wasn't able to find her at all. Devs says she's resticted to some nations, but I haven't fould her at all. Not sureprisinlgy, as the sprite is used for the Lady of Fortune now (which man doesn't get as well, strangly).

Concerning the Nagas: The Golden one does have nature magic, so you needn't burden yourself with a nature bless unless you really want to.
I agree that e.g. cold blooded pretenders shouldn't be available to cold loving nations, though.

A.
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:16 PM

The Daughter of the River has been completely removed from the game I believe.
I agree that the nations should be more specific. Specific units are really great (one of the best element of the game IMHO). What about more national magic items ? We've the Jade Mask and the Black Laurel, that's all IIRC ! Think of Ulm with a monopoly on Fire Shields, or Pythium on the Gloves of Gladiator, or Abysia on Demon Whips... that could make harder solo games, and bring more trades in MP games.
Cheers
Old January 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM

Corporal

diamondspider is on a distinguished road

I'd love more pretenders too!

My only worry regarding removing pretenders, in some cases, is less options and flexibility.

More options = good in my book since I enjoy playing in unusual ways. I like research oriented pretenders and normally go for the Sage. I'd hate to see him removed from pretty much any race.
Old January 29th, 2004, 01:26 PM

Corporal

void is on a distinguished road

I want a water-4 air-1 pretender for TC,something like this ^^

125 points.
Rune of Dragon.
(A totem glyph)
HP: 125.
STR: 20.
Protection: 25.
Attack: 12.
Morale: 30.
Defence: 1.
Magic Resist: 25.
AP: 0/2 (Immobile)
Leadership: 0/25/0.
Weapon: None.
Armor: None.
Resist.Fire: 50
Resist.Cold: 0
Resist.Shock: 100
Resist.Poison: 100
Lifeless.
Need not eat.
Dominions: 3
Water: 4
Air: 1
New path cost 60 pts.

*Siege-bonus dealt extra damage to RoD.
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Too bad Pretenders can't be modded yet... Maybe with a next patch ?
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Johan K is the father of Code. Kristoffer O is the father of Theme. What Johan K giveth, Kristoffer O taketh away. ("just kidding guys" as I look to see if my CD-keys are still there)

Seriously though, lets not try to remove anything unless it seems really necessary. We cant just make holes in the pretender list. But if you design some theme pretenders then Im sure Kristoffer will at least consider them. In my opinion it works best if you dont try to design them all the way, just point Krisoffer in a direction.

I was thinking of "Green Man" for Man to give him an easy 3-nature which it seems Man should have. Although it might also fit Ulm. Probably done just as a head like Baphomet.
http://www.mikeharding.co.uk/greenman/greenintro.html

[ January 29, 2004, 13:29: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Captain

sachmo is on a distinguished road

More pretenders would be great, but I have yet to even scratch the surface on playing them. Has anyone played with the Earth Mother yet? Am I describing her right?