Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 18th, 2015, 05:33 PM

Corporal

Warnevada is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing a Computer

My friend bought a new laptop and tried to install the CD version of the game, but it wouldn't do it. He had previously installed it on his old laptop. How do you reinstall the game when replacing a computer?

I will be replacing my desktop soon and am very interested in the answer.
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:51 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Replacing a Computer

Eh? - Please define "wouldn't do it" - what error messages did windows put up, or what exactly defines "wouldn't do it"... Such a delightful user error report, that could mean absolutely anything - like say a defunct/scratched CD failed to run, perhaps?.

Something more specific is really needed - not just "wont work".

You just install as normal from the supplied CD onto a new computer. Simple as that.

However, if it was a CD bought many moons ago, with the old installation path to /program files/ burned into it, then of course he would need to point the install to a folder outside of the /program files/ hierarchy, like we tell you to do in the "installing for windows vista and 7" sticky. Then install the patches as usual. It would be simpler if he used the standard one our newer installers use, so only the first installation needs it entered, and the patches will use the same default.

default path is:
C:\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\winSPWW2
Old July 18th, 2015, 07:12 PM

Sergeant

Dion is on a distinguished road

Sounds like me. I haven't been able to install a new game on my computer for about five years. Luckily, I bought WinSPWW2 about 10 years ago. The only games that will install are the old games.

When I buy a new game, then try to install it, and it don't install, then call the manufacture, and tell them I have a defective product, they tell me I still have to pay for it, but I say I'm not going to pay for something that don't work, so I call the credit card company and report fraud. So far this has worked every time, but I know how powerful the computer industry is. Since computers are the mainstay of communication, it's just a matter of time when they will be ripping off certain classes of people at their leisure, at our expense (I think their already doing it). Very convenient for the upper class, just blaim it on the computer, "sweep it under the rug" so to speak. At the mean time I'm getting older and older, I would like to buy a new game and add it to the fine "older" games I already have at some point. What do I have to do hire a computer technician to load the game every time I buy one? I'm missing alot of new wargames with inventive features because of this. I wish someone would put a end to it.

I hope you-all don't take this the wrong way, but I think the whole world is going to ****.

Last edited by Dion; July 18th, 2015 at 07:35 PM..
Old July 19th, 2015, 03:24 AM

Corporal

AMX is on a distinguished road

Dion, if you cannot install any recent games, then there is something wrong with your computer.

Also, most places will give you a normal refund - don't abuse Fraud Prevention.
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:59 PM

Corporal

Warnevada is on a distinguished road

"Eh? - Please define "wouldn't do it" - what error messages did windows put up, or what exactly defines "wouldn't do it"... Such a delightful user error report, that could mean absolutely anything - like say a defunct/scratched CD failed to run, perhaps?. "

Quote:
The CD spins up in the drive and starts reading, but when it gets near the end (looks like about 95% complete on the indicator bar) it just keeps on spinning, never finishes reading the disk, and never gives a chance to open the files on it.
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:15 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnevada View Post
The CD spins up in the drive and starts reading, but when it gets near the end (looks like about 95% complete on the indicator bar) it just keeps on spinning, never finishes reading the disk, and never gives a chance to open the files on it.
Could be either a duff (scratched/dirty/decayed) CD or, less likely, a lack of memory or HDD space or even a faulty CD drive.

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old July 19th, 2015, 06:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnevada View Post
Could be either a duff (scratched/dirty/decayed) CD or, less likely, a lack of memory or HDD space or even a faulty CD drive.
Yep, any of the above.

The obvious first test being to try the CD on another computer.

If that works, then the hardware (or drivers or whatever) on the machine is probably borked.

If not, it is likely to be the CD media being damaged or otherwise made unreadable.
Old July 19th, 2015, 09:36 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the machine possibly DVD drive is at fault.
WinSP games are very easy to install they don't mess about with the registry settings.
You can just copy the present install folder to a USB stick & paste it on the new computer.
That way its patched & you get your saved games maps preferences etc.
Only thing you cant do is continue any PBEM game you have going if you are using security.

You may need to adjust your preferences if the new computer is a lot slower or faster than the old one.