World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 10th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Updated the FAQ

Quote:
Originally posted by Slick:
That's part of the problem with forums. People can't see body language or hear tone. The smilies are a poor substitute. What I found rude was that it was clear I wanted Asmala's opinion, but you responded in a way that basically said I would have known these things if I had seen your previous Posts. Again, since people are reading text, it's hard to tell the intent. No harm done, its clear that you meant it in a joking manner. I know some of my own Posts could be received as rude so I try to read them before posting with that in mind. Maybe I need to work harder at it.

Slick.
Oh, I see... well, I meant the two paragraphs as wholely separate. The second was about the reproduction rates with happiness vs. conditions chart, and had nothing to do with the rest of the post. They were not meant to go together at all. Your interpretation is not what I meant at all. The first paragraph's answers really have nothing to do with that chart. Sorry for the confusion.

[ March 10, 2004, 05:15: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 10th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Brigadier General

Slick is on a distinguished road

Ok, now that we're all friends again, we've sung our Kumbaya's and all that happy stuff, let's get back to business. I'm still letting the "dust settle" after the release of v1.91. I intend to put together one "Last" revision that has a bunch of things. ("Last" being only until another one is needed.) Here's what I'm thinking:

- I want to add a small section for "true newbie questions and frequent mistakes". I'd like input on this one. I'm thinking of things like colonizers with no population or other mistakes we have all made. I'll consolidate all these into a small section near the top, add a short answer, and refer the readers to various other sections of the FAQ if relevent. Maybe a "top ten list" or something of that nature. This section will be intended to be small.

- Update any sections for correctness under v1.91.

- Hopefully get Stone Mill (I've seen you lurking recently...) to finish, or at least do another installment to the Strategy Articles section.

- Incorporate things in this thread and others I have been keeping track of that contain applicable info since Last update.

- and do a Last scrub for overall formatting, etc. with the idea that I probably won't be updating it again.

- Last chance for anyone to submit anything. I'll target around the end of April or so. By then there will probably be revised mods out which use the new features in 1.91 so any issues under the new patch should have been found by then

Please know that I have tried a few methods of editing and the sheer size of the faq is becoming unwieldy (sp?). Copying/pasting into another editor usually results in losing some of the particular formatting that is used on this UBB. Using the UBB editor here is causing the board to almost choke and, even though you don't see it in the FAQ itself, there are lots of "errors" reported as it saves the text (even though it appears to save it properly in the end). The size is approaching some limit of the UBB. Hopefully there is room for a little more.

Slick.

[ March 10, 2004, 05:42: Message edited by: Slick ]
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Perhaps save it as an HTML file and have it hosted somewhere? You should be able to use the forum's Printer Friendly option to get it in basic HTML with no sweat.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:28 PM

Brigadier General

I'll probably be breaking it up as Geo suggests. The idea of hosting it elsewhere has come up before. I still like the idea of it being here where it is easily accessible for forum questions to reference. I try to answer questions with references to the FAQ if possible. This way, people read it and hopefully get answers before they need to post, as well as if any incorrect info is there, it usually gets flagged out.

Probably moving it off site when the SE5 demo is released would be a good idea.

Slick.
Old March 10th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Major

Caduceus is on a distinguished road

Reading the FAQ, I have found several spelling errors and repititions of information (credited to one person after another). It would be good to streamline that a bit. I'm no English major, but would be willing to go over it before it is finalized.

Any revisions I would make would be more for grammer than for content, I assure you.

Wildcard

[ March 10, 2004, 15:16: Message edited by: wildcard06 ]
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM

Brigadier General

If you'd point them out, that sure would be helpful. Also, not all of the contributers (contributors?) has English as a first language.

Slick.

[ March 10, 2004, 16:06: Message edited by: Slick ]
Old March 10th, 2004, 06:31 PM

National Security Advisor

geoschmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Slick:
If you'd point them out, that sure would be helpful. Also, not all of the contributers (contributors?) has English as a first language.

Slick.
have?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Besides, you asked us to point them out. Oh, you just meant in the FAQ?
Old March 10th, 2004, 11:43 PM

Brigadier General

Ouch. I sure asked for that one. Geo, your aim is pretty good too.

*rubs the sore spot between his eyes*

Slick.
Old March 11th, 2004, 01:34 AM

Private

Shrapnel is on a distinguished road

I've been using the FAQ on SE.net as it has HTML links. Is this FAQ also being updated to mirror the changes on this forum??

Thanks!
Old March 11th, 2004, 02:35 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

No. It is several Versions out of date. The guy that was updating it has become rather busy as of late.