Corporal

Freyland is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Richard, very classy!

Amen
Old December 18th, 2000, 09:45 AM

Private

ender is on a distinguished road

To put this in perspective, SE IV in its current state is as complete or stable as any other 4x title post patch barring the AI.

I will agree that the AI scripts need a major rework. As they don't seem to be having significant impact on AI play personality currently, and because of that MOO2 still rates slightly higher on the "all time" hit scale. However if the next patch comes out with a revamp that makes the behavior of each of the AI player distinct, MM could very well leave the remaining "to do" list in limbo and still topple MOO2 as the reigning champ.

After all every 4x game released (even Civ2) was finished with a few remaining tweaks that could and should have been looked at. So far Civ has been the most polished in a postproduction polish value, but the very complex nature of these games makes bug hunting almost a lifetime career. Even SMAC's initial release suffered similar problems even after a much longer testing gyration!

I think the 'to do' list is a credit to the folks at MM for aggressively tackling and wanting to improve their product. The Last patch for MOO2 still had a like size list unattended (and it's considered the best by most strategy buffs)!

Freyland, think of it this way. For an Indy publisher release on a semi shoestring budget title, SE IV's release is putting some of the bigger publishing houses efforts to shame (both in design and the polish fronts). For such a complex title and such limited resources SE IV is a remarkable product and effort! You can sometimes forget shrapnel isn't an interplay or microprose outfit, but when you put it in context. I say bravo!

And thanks Richard for your visibility here...I know you take some fire here but your sacrifice on the front lines doesn't go unnoticed by those of us who know how treacherous the road you, shrapnel, and it’s benefactors endure with your efforts of blazing into a niche buisness plan that equates to some interesting and largely unexplorered business frontiers.
Old December 18th, 2000, 03:46 PM

Brigadier General

Richard is on a distinguished road

John,

Okay you got me. I did say that and to be honest I completely forgot about it.

In any case I agree with Wendell that we all want the game to become the best 4X space game that we can and these comments do help. You may even want to drop Aaron a note at aaron@shrapnelgames.com as he does not frequent these forums that much (or that is my impression).

And if you need to drop me a note just drop me one at rdarnese@shrapnelgames.com.

Have a Happy Holidays folks...

------------------
Sarge is coming...

Richard Arnesen
Director of Covert Ops
Shrapnel Games
http://www.shrapnelgames.com
Old December 19th, 2000, 03:33 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

"and don't mind all those comments about the AI being terrible and huge amounts of bugs"
Well, does that jar your memory? You said that, and I viewed that as a claim that the game was unstable.
Because I'm a beta tester, I have more experience with the game, and I just can't understand how there are "huge amounts of bugs".
Also, you started this thread out with a flame on someone. Very very classy, eh?
I have to get the impression that you're just bashing SE4. How about bashing StarCraft? The storyline was so fixed! Im having major trouble with battle.net right now too, and I can't play on it. But how much does this detract from the game? Very little. I love playing StarCraft, and I will for a long while.
So if you're just going to offer negative comments and personal attacks, please leave, or fix the attitude.
(This is my Last post in this thread Freyland, so whatever flames against me I won't hear. Send them to my e-mail @ instar_m@hotmail.com where they will be promptly deleted.)
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.