.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 8th, 2017, 10:11 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road
Default Delete entrenchments from scenario

Howdy; Just finished spending 3 weeks building my Changjin (Chosin) reservoir map and deployed some troops. I entrenched them but then decided I didn't want them to be dug in but I can't figure out how to get rid of the trenches (automatic fox holes, not fortifications) once they are on the map. I read through the manual and looked at the short cut keys but I didn't see one (I tried even Shift E and Control E but nope).

Is there a way to remove foxholes? (BTW - this is in the scenario editor menu)

Here is a picture of the map, 145x100, and I have also done it in summer too. The map was topographical which I laid a hex grid on top of so it is pretty darn accurate. I will be uploading all here once done.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Weasel; June 8th, 2017 at 10:19 PM..
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:02 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Delete entrenchments from scenario

You kept a backup of the map, not used in a scenario, right?.

Once troops are laid on a map when creating a scenario you can get side effects. Therefore any complicated map should be saved as a separate map file in case of hiccups. Naturally, when hiccups occur - then its the file you didn't back up it happens with!

Try - delete all troops for both sides, change scenario to a meeter, then auto-deploy all for both sides (each will have an HQ left). That may do it. In fact - you may not need to delete the troops, changing battle type and redeploying all with auto-deploy may be sufficient.
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:04 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

I believe on any, and all, Assault / Defend missions ALL troops of Defender and all Infantry of Attacker are automatically dug-in.

I don't think this is possible to change - (it may be possible to fudge by changing the battle type AFTER deployment).

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:37 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

When I want partial dug in I have to set all the units I don't want dug in as reinforcements, change the scenario to an assault, let the non reinforcements dig in, then change the scenario to an advance, then reset everyone to turn 0 (or whatever).

But as Don said, ALWAYS save the map, or just the scenario, before you dig in.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 9th, 2017, 06:48 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Don't know if you would have to start from scratch again I would think changing the map would mess with things but my only idea is

Save the map (make sure you have objective flags & ID tags off when you do)
Load it in the map editor
Press the Clear Damage button
Wait
Save the map
Import it back into the editor.
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:40 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

That works IF you don't have a pristine version of the map to fall back on and are willing to re-purchase AND redeploy all your units.....and that is less than fun when you have a large, complicated scenario where everything is the way you want it to be except there are foxholes everywhere.

The problem is if you want an assault scenario you start dug in and that's been like that since SP1 but reviewing the past does not solve this problem so the ONLY way ATM to remove foxholes once they are on the map AND maintain unit deployment is to edit down to level zero EVERY foxhole then put the correct terrain height back in and that will remove them....from sight but it's an illusion because their STATUS will remain DUG IN even if you change the battle type to a meeter so you will have no foxholes showing but your units will report being dug in and that's the way the game will treat them.

What we need is a way to clear dug in status

So if you are happy to redeploy all your units on a cleared map set to non-assault/defend you can fix the problem...if what you would like to do is remove the dug in status as well you are out of luck unless you delete everything and start over but I have put this on the ever-growing "to be investigated" list but at present once your units have dug in status the only way to remove that dug in status is delete the units so one way or the other you need to repurchase and redeploy everything

Sorry for the bad news but to be honest I don't recall this has been brought up as an issue before so I had to go through all the steps I could think of and in the end once you have "dug in" you stay dug in no matter if you trick the map into making you look not dug in.

I would say your best option if you have a lot of units that need to be cleared of dug in status is to accept that they are dug in and move on and we will see if we can find a way to clear that status...but no promises beyond we will discuss it

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; June 9th, 2017 at 08:06 AM..
Old June 9th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Sergeant

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. So the only practical solution was to start over again (I tried just deleting the Chinese from the purchase menu but phantom entrenchments were left on the map even after hitting the 'dig in' without units). I can dig in the USMC and that is fine, as long as I don't dig in the Chinese (attacker) then they will be without trenches.

One thing this map needs, which SP doesn't have, is low bushes/scrub. The Chosin hills are mostly 3 or 4 foot shrubs and undergrowth but the closest in the map editor is tall grass.
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. So the only practical solution was to start over again (I tried just deleting the Chinese from the purchase menu but phantom entrenchments were left on the map even after hitting the 'dig in' without units). I can dig in the USMC and that is fine, as long as I don't dig in the Chinese (attacker) then they will be without trenches.

One thing this map needs, which SP doesn't have, is low bushes/scrub. The Chosin hills are mostly 3 or 4 foot shrubs and undergrowth but the closest in the map editor is tall grass.
use the new dark scrub mixed with trees and dry grass

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:14 PM

Sergeant

I don't see such a key (v11.01). Went through the 2017 manual looking at the map editing shortcut keys but don't see anything that would lead to dark scrub. Can you point out the key please?

Last edited by Weasel; June 9th, 2017 at 09:26 PM..
Old June 9th, 2017, 11:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Page 2, fourth button down on the right it will report " add short grass to hex(T)" when you hover the pointer over the button. When you click on the button you are given the option "Press 1 for regular grass, 2 for scrub grass"

BUT

from the game quide write up for WinSPMBT version 11.01 Upgrade patch

Quote:
All terrain will show up on generated maps at one time or another but this year only CD owners will have access to edit the new terrain
Info on new terrains added for 2017

There is a new "scrub grass" ground and hills set in dark brown tones for ground and hill levels that would be useful on maps between November and March but also as an accent on any map type. In the map editor this can be accessed from the "add short grass" button which is on page 2 of the editor to the right of the add trench button. You will be prompted to " Press 1 for regular grass, 2 for scrub grass "

There is a new bare field ground and hills set that represents either a freshly planted field or a freshly harvested one. These are also handy as a base for any orchard type. In the map editor this can be accessed from the green crop button. You will be prompted "Press 1 for Crops, 2 for Tilled "

There is a new "light snow" ground and hills set that will show up in the game in place of the old "winter grass" which is now called " very light snow". The new "light snow" is used by the game as a base tile over which winter trees are placed. It can be accessed only on winter maps from the button on page one directly under trees. You will be prompted "Press 1 for light snow, 2 for very light snow"

There are now pure coniferous sets for summer and winter and those will be auto-generated on maps. These represent "old growth" pine forests and have additional movement and sighting restrictions above regular mixed forests. This can be accessed from the Trees button and you will be prompted "Press 1 for mixed Trees, 2 for Pines "

There are also new vineyards and coconut plantations/ groves for use in map making and these are also placed in small amounts on game generated maps. In the map editor this can be accessed from the Orchards button and you will be prompted "Press 1 for orchard, 2 for Vineyard, 3 for Coconut Grove "

Deep water has been added ( ground level only naturally ). It is a very subtle change as it had to be . The water animation palette is fixed and not very big which limited my options and after two failed experiments I settled on what we have now as a compromise but as I said....it's subtle but sometimes subtle is best. The game palette was tweaked a bit to brighten up water....it's a bit more " Mediterranean" or "South Pacific" blue now.........a little less " dreary November " grey-blue.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: