.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Team Placement, Gandalf's Wizardry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdonj View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by melnorjr View Post
My apologies for the delay on the startlocations - I just pmed them to septimius.

I would like to note however, that there might be some issues with them, as one team has two instances of two of their capitols with only one intervening province, and one player has a start with 4 connecting provinces, one of them a swamp, and another player has 7 connecting provinces.(I was given what provinces to place people in, and used a random number generator to determine which team was where, so if your starting province seems unbalanced in some way, it wasn't me. )
This is from a post on page 35. Septimius then said that start positions had been known for over a month and no one had complained. We all definitely did have time to bring it up, but none of us did so it was really just a matter of chance who would end up in the horrible, horrible position you poor folks did. We really should have attempted to address the issue... it is going to be a bit of a pain for your team to deal with, especially if any of you with adjacent provinces need lots of resources for your capitol. My sympathies to you and your team.
Yes, no one said much of anything for the longest time, I did those start locations (and provided 2 options as well) quick and dirty way back when, doing the best I could but trying to keep things so that the comp would be in the center and the teams arranged as closely to toward the cardinal directions as I could. Lets work with what we've got people. Next time, please review all potential start locations, and speak up promptly if you don't like them. Algae was the only one who said anything early on, and I revised them when he did. DO NOT wait a month or longer. DO NOT wait till the game is started.

In the east, the provinces are larger, again random map stuff. I wouldn't say it is a horrible, horrible position, rdonj. In the two cases where this may be an issue, the shared neighboring province can be awarded to the player with the fewest neighbors including the province in question. For instance, if one player has four neighbors and the other has 5 neighbors (including the one in question), the territory should go to the player with only 4 neighbors. I'm sure everyone will be fine. Other than the relative experience level of the Blessed's no sympathies are needed.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; November 2nd, 2009 at 03:08 PM..
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrudgeBringer View Post
Ok guys, I don't have a turn and because I use Outlook express I also don't have a spam file (so it can't be in there).

I haven't heard from chris and I was wondering if the rest of our team has received the first turn since they where all e-mailed to a common address.

I am a little spooky about the technical knowledge needed to get this game going as I have said I am somewhat computer challenged.

I need to know whats going on with my team soon or I will have to withdraw.
Grudge, I am going to send you your turn right now. I am sure chris will get things organized and so forth soon. A common e-mail account is good, especially if everyone can access the account or some sort of automatic forwarding is set up on the account.
Don't have a heart attack Grudge, I am counting on you to keep everyone grounded and out of the techno babble realm.

12 turns in so far according to Gandalf.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; November 2nd, 2009 at 03:28 PM..
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Apologies to SS and to Grudge.

I have just returned from out of town, and from an auto accident.
Lots of damage, no injury.

I'd like to appeal to my team members (including alternates) to please be up to date on their starting positions. And to please post any observations.

I will post comments, solicit observations, and hopefully we'll have marching orders tomorrow (Tues.)..

That ok SS?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 04:09 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Post Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispedersen View Post
Apologies to SS and to Grudge.

I have just returned from out of town, and from an auto accident.
Lots of damage, no injury.

I'd like to appeal to my team members (including alternates) to please be up to date on their starting positions. And to please post any observations.

I will post comments, solicit observations, and hopefully we'll have marching orders tomorrow (Tues.)..

That ok SS?
Fine with me, this first turn won't host till all turns are in, since there were some issues that needed to be resolved. Please get them in ASAP though. I am starved for action! It is time for some killin' and some dyin'.

Chris, I would recommend, if you haven't already, that a dedicated e-mail account with passwords be provided to the ACGHHS team members so they can log on and grab their turns from there or some sort of automatic forwarding be used. But that is your call as team Captain. You seem to be doing a fine job of things anyhow.

After this first turn is history, we will moving toward following our normal hosting schedule.

I will be posting links to the following game information files once the turn hosts on the opening thread to make everything nice and convenient for everyone (assuming they will be updated regularly/and or automatically). A single status page would be nice, but this will serve just fine for our purposes for now. Not llamaserver, but better than nothing. Kuddos to Gandalf for whatever he can do.

www.dom3minions.com/~nav/stats.txt (apparently staling data)
www.dom3minions.com/~nav/scores.html (score graphs)
www.dom3minions.com/~nav/bin/nav_chk.cgi (turns received)

Last edited by Septimius Severus; November 2nd, 2009 at 04:20 PM..
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point

OK turns here (thanks chris, I KNEW something was wrong when I didn't hear from you. Glad you and your family are OK!!)

Now I have the turn but since we are not using llamaserver I have a couple of questions and I will get it in tonight.

Do I need to put a name on the subject line and if so what is it?

Will the turn Chris sent me be ok or is there a chance all the dm files (or whatever) need to be changed?

I just want to get my turn in and not hold anybody up.

Any help on the subject line would be useful and not have me reading the last 20 pages of the forum.

Thanks
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

In this case the game has its own email address so there is no need at this time for a subject. All mail going there is for this game. But it wont hurt either so if you want to get in the habit of putting the game name like for LLama then its fine.

The game was created with the
better_independents_v2-1_g.dm
mod so its going to expect that to be in the mod directory on your machine. You dont have to have it "on", just present.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:09 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I was going to do something like LLamas but got distracted by real world.
Here is a fast dirty one for now.
http://www.dom3minions.com/~nav/bin/nav_chk.cgi

Yes, this was the essential Llamaserver.net feature I was missing. I really need to know if I've submitted my turn. A confirmation email or a status page does the trick. 14/16, looks like everyone but the AIs. New .trn soon?

Also, like Llamaserver, if I send multiple .2h files to nav@dom3minions, will the one dated last be automatically used? I just want to know that I can submit a turn and later change my mind if I have too.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:10 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I put the game in my 'Saved Games folder along with my other games.

I made a folder called VVTeam as i was told it didn't matter about a subject line and inserted the TRN file in it....Doesn't show in the Current game file...

suggestions?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM

BANNED USER

Frozen Lama is on a distinguished road

i assume you have no spaces or anything in your game name?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

I was told the game name didn't matter as we where not playing on llamaserver...

OK, What exactly is our game name...I know it has changed a couple of times.

I will plug that in and give it a go.