.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old October 6th, 2005, 11:54 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Map Maker?

The problem is not a map maker as Hiro said it's getting the game to accept the custom maps. As it stands if one user had a custom map somehow and that person started an online game with someone that didn't have the map it crashes the game because it doesn't understand what to do. Coding the brains into the game so it gets what is going on is a huge time consuming effort. Instead of spending time working on that feature(which would be nice btw) he feels that the main game needs the attention.

Now in the future I bet this will change once the majority of the problems in the main game are smoothed out. He wants people to get a quality gaming experience with the features that were shown when they purchased the game. So everyone needs to settle down a bit.

Sargus I like you idea of players submitting a design to Hiro for possible use in the next patch. I know I would love to get the map I made in there Maybe I could help out here. If its ok with Hiro I could get the designs from you guys and make the maps and then give them to Hiro since I already understand how the maps are made from my beta testing. Though I can think of a few good reasons why this wouldn't be a good idea, so no one get your hopes up. What do ya think Hiro?

Edit: Gah someone went and deleted posts from the thread some of the stuff I said might not make sense now, who knows.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old October 6th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

Yeah, sorry about deleting SargusBane's post, but it was very out of line.

He's a real-life friend of Andre's. He was involved a bit in pre-shrapnel beta testing, and is quite good at the game. He discovered an early exploit (the unbeatable 'Runner Horde' strategy), that has since been fixed. My understanding is that he's quite passionate about the game.

I'm not sure why he saw fit to attack me publicly like that when he could have just sent me an email. I saw no new information in that post other than attacks calling me stupid and other things. When it comes down to it, his post was unacceptable for *anyone* to have posted, especially a 'friend'.

SargusBane: Let it lie. If you have something to say, please email me directly. I am receptive to all feedback, but I'm not Superman, nor do I have an endless amount of time to implement every feature. I have to pick and choose very carefully, based on both business and technology factors. I want map editing in the game as much as everyone, trust me on that. I was sad when I had to cut it before LOL shipped, and things are no different now. It was cut for a complicated set of reasons, which I've been very open and honest about here.

CombatWombat: Sure, I'd love to take a look at any map ideas/designs you or anyone else may have. I'm going to try to add in a couple of new maps for each patch we release, and it would be great if some of those came from the community.

Fair warning though: Those maps may not make it into the game, or may be altered when added. I had to nix most of my own map designs, because during playtesting I would learn that they just don't work for a variety of reasons. But I promise I'll look over every single submission, even if I don't have time to reply to them all.

FWIW, I recommend taking a screenshot of the game, and then copy/pasting the terrain squares around to make the map look like how you want. That's probably the easiest way for you guys to do it and see what it would look like. If it seems promising, I'll convert it to XML and playtest it, and maybe include it in a patch!

You guys can send maps to me directly at scott-at-tinyhero-dot-com.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Hiro, Sent you the 1 1/2 maps I managed to complete

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/