.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old September 15th, 2005, 04:44 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road
Default upcoming v1.10 patch

Hey all,

I just wanted to let you all know that a patch is in the works and it takes into account much of the feedback we've gotten from people who've played the Land of Legends demo. In fact, every feature included in the patch was requested by someone, and we feel like you guys are going to love the improvements in this patch.

Our plan was to have this patch available when the game shipped on Sept 21, but it's become apparent we'll need a few more days to get everything in there that we want, and to make sure it's solid.

For those of you who are curious, this is the change list as of now, and it will be a bit bigger before the patch is released:

Changes in v1.10:
BUGFIX: Changed the 'Create a new account' URL in the login screen to the actual (not redirecting) page.
BUGFIX: Fixed a problem in Gnome2 and Orc3 causing the capitol to not properly be selected at the beginning of each turn.
NEW SKIRMISH/INTERNET MAPS: Crater Lake, Twin Peaks
USABILITY: Attacking units are highlighted with the skill icon, and targeted units with the shield, after each action ability.
USABILITY: Units now fade out on the game map, with a skull & crossbones over them, when they are killed.
USABILITY: All units now show their unspend animation simultaneously, rather than sequentially. (This speeds up phase effects.)
USABILITY: A new checkbox has been added to the options menu to allow battle animations to be skipped.
USABILITY: Clicking anywhere on the game board will dismiss the objectives popup in campaign mode.
USABILITY: A map grid can now be optionally displayed. There is a new checkbox in the options menu for this.
USABILITY: Pressing Escape key while unit is speaking in campaign mission now skips all unit speech until player has control.
USABILITY: 'E' key is now the same as if you had clicked on the 'End Turn' button. (only works when clicking on button would work.)
USABILITY: 'G' key toggles game map grid on and off.
USABILITY: 'D' key now is the same as hitting the 'unDo' button.
USABILITY: Tab key now cycles through friendly unspent units.
USABILITY: 'Q' key now cycles through friendly cities where units can be built.
USABILITY: Space bar simulates a double-click on the selected cell, for purposes of beginning movement for a unit or buying a unit on a city. (actually, it's always done this, but was never announced.)
USABILITY: Escape key now counts as clicking 'Cancel' in all popups that have a 'Cancel' button, or counts as clicking 'okay' otherwise.
USABILITY: Escape key now counts as clicking 'Cancel' in the buy menu.
USABILITY: Space key and Enter key now count as clicking 'Okay' in all popups. (though space key doesn't dismiss popups where you type stuff in.)
USABILITY: Space key and Escape key now end battle animations when they're pressed.
USABILITY: Cleaned up some other misc. keyboard code to make it act more intuitively.
CHANGES: Various spelling and grammar errors were corrected.

If you'd played the beta and gave us feedback, you'll notice that we've acted on that feedback to give you the best game possible.

We definitely appreciate your suggestions, and think you've helped make Land of Legends an even better game. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:35 PM

Private

SargusBane is on a distinguished road
Default Re: upcoming v1.10 patch

The changes rocks!! The patch makes the game much more enjoyable to play. Good job on it!!! I like the short keys and the grid the best. Also thanks for listening and speeding up the little task that made LOL less fun.
Old September 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Private

paplan is on a distinguished road

Will the ability to save games be included in this patch?
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM

Corporal

Andre is on a distinguished road

Yep. You can play-by-mail (or ansychronously), save campaigns, but internet games cannot be saved.
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

Oh, yeah, Andre's right. I can't believe I missed the patch notes for save games! That's the biggest feature!

Just to be clear, we will offer save game functionality for both campaign missions and (hotseat or vs AI) skirmishes.

2 players can then run their own play-by-mail game by emailing the progressive save files back and forth to each other.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old September 16th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hiro_Antagonist said:
Oh, yeah, Andre's right. I can't believe I missed the patch notes for save games! That's the biggest feature!

Just to be clear, we will offer save game functionality for both campaign missions and (hotseat or vs AI) skirmishes.

2 players can then run their own play-by-mail game by emailing the progressive save files back and forth to each other.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Sweet

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old September 18th, 2005, 02:53 AM

Private

JavaJack is on a distinguished road
Default Usability suggestions

Suggestions:

Do all battle animations respect the relative left/right map position of the combatants? (If my character is positioned further west on the map than my opponent, I should be leftmost during battle animation, and vice versa). It seemed like they were sometimes swapped in the demo, slightly confusing.

There really ought to be a way to toggle off the teletype-printing of text. It can be slow or distracting sometimes. A slider to adjust the slide-on speed of the various boxes and panels would be nice too. And (this is my personal and very subjective opinion) the slide-ons would look nicer if they were on an ease-in velocity curve rather than a linear slide.

Possible bugs:

In windowed mode, the window was actually much larger than the game itself, so I could see the offscreen panels appear then slide into place. It's pretty likely due to higher than normal windows dpi settings on my 1650x1080 laptop.

Pressing alt+enter during tutorials can inadvertently pop up the victory conditions window behind the tutorial text, with no handy way of turning it back off. (I was trying alt+enter just to see if it toggled fullscreen mode)
Old September 21st, 2005, 04:49 PM

Corporal

Andre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Usability suggestions

Hey Jack, The patch will contain an option to turn off battle animations. The battle animations are consitent in showing the characters in their correct facings, but it can be confusing. The battle animation facing is not tied to the units' orientation to each other on the map, but it is tied to player number. A unit belonging to Player 1 will always appear on the left whether he is attacking or defending.

The patch will also contain a shortcut key to skip to the character dialogs. Pressing the ESC key skips passed all the chatter. ESC is also used to close/cancel any dialog box that appears.

Thanks for the bug reports. I'll be spending extra attention on windowing problems and see what else may need to fix before releasing this patch (coming very soon).
Old September 21st, 2005, 09:01 PM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road

Will we be able to record games? Given the game's design, it would be really nice to be able to review a game, post competition games etc.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Andre said:
The battle animation facing is not tied to the units' orientation to each other on the map, but it is tied to player number. A unit belonging to Player 1 will always appear on the left whether he is attacking or defending.
This is close but not completely true. The unit on the left is always the attacking unit, and the unit on the right is always the defending (and possibly retaliating) unit. =)

Andre was right about the changes in the patch though. There are lots of goodies that are direct responses to customer feedback from the demo.

-Hiro_Antagonist