This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old February 4th, 2019, 09:05 PM

Private

Kurt Montandon is on a distinguished road
Default Any recommendations for good strategy or tactics mobile games?

Basically, I'm looking for something on a phone that can sort of fill a similar (but obviously more basic) role as SP:MBT. Anyone come across any good hex based, or at least semi-realistic modern military tactics based games, that might work?

Because while I do have a few tower defense style games that are good for long hours of gameplay, it just isn't the same.
Old March 24th, 2019, 02:15 PM

Corporal

anlubue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any recommendations for good strategy or tactics mobile games?

Life is too precious to waste the time with something meaningless. So please play either winSPMBT or winSPWW2!
The Following User Says Thank You to anlubue For This Useful Post:
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Corporal

georgesedlak is on a distinguished road

I've had success playing on a 10" windows tablet, virtual keyboard and all. It's a bit clunky but you can make it work and a bumpy bus ride can give you an interesting game.
Old April 11th, 2019, 01:55 PM

Corporal

georgesedlak is on a distinguished road

I'm talking about SPww2 and MBT on my tablet.
Old April 11th, 2019, 02:25 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Try Firefight - the latest version is on mobile platforms (I think)
http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html
Old April 17th, 2019, 12:13 AM

Corporal

lukerduker123 is on a distinguished road

I own Firefight on my phone (Oneplus 6T) and I have to say I'm not blown away by it. I may be spoiled by nearly eight years of Steel Panthers, but compared to SP it's.. Lacking, to say the least. Steel Panthers' AI might be laughable, but this game doesn't have any, at least none that I can see besides basic "Shoot, fall back, shoot some more". Every scenario is a variation of "Assault this position". There's no meeting engagements or hold scenarios, since the AI is completely and utterly incapable of moving forward.

There's also a lot of fluff in this game that doesn't really make sense. There's a heartbeat meter for your squad, but from what I can see there's not really a reason why it's around. The graphics are okay, though they just seem like Close Quarters' but somewhat even older. The sound's good, nothing to write home about, but good. The way you can identify units? Not good at all. At least on the phone, I had a hard time finding my units without tapping on them in the unit box in the bottom. What's worse is that the enemy isn't clearly pointed out after first being identified. Now, I may not have the best eyesight, but at 23 years old I'd hope I'd have the ability to see a tiger tank hiding in shrubbery from a top-down view!

I already mentioned the AI, but your own AI takes the cake. They graduated from the University of Paste-Eating and excel in getting shot at, routing, and turning the tank the wrong way in an engagement. I can't count the number of times I gave a tank a command to move up a road, only for them to reverse, turn around, and slowly back up towards a waiting AT gun. I'm just glad the crew never realized their mistake, as an ammunition brew-up wiped them off the face of the Earth. The infantry are smarter thankfully, though they'll still have trouble doing anything more than moving forward, shooting, dying, and eating dirt the moment a mortar lands within the same zipcode as them.

Mind you I'm not saying this is a bad game, I just don't feel like it comes anywhere close to the level of what Steel Panthers offers by a long shot. There's no editor at all, and let me tell you a scenario editor would've been nice. Every single map is a variation of a green field/town/bocage of France, even scenarios that are supposed to take place during the Ardenne offensive. It's just.. Disappointing. Is it bad? No, but having tasted the fruits of Steel Panthers, it just doesn't compare in the slightest.
Old April 17th, 2019, 11:34 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

OK - seems to have been changed from the original PC version that I played 6 or 7 years back then, which I played the demo of and thought OK for a quick 10 minute fight. No "heartbeat monitor" then, just you could kill the sheep in the fields !
Old April 17th, 2019, 08:26 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

John Tiller software mobile Games

John Tiller Software has developed a number of mobile apps which run on Android, Kindle, and iPad. They are a selection of his larger PC collection and offer games which cover, Modern Campaigns, Panzer Campaigns,Civil War Battles and Modern Air Power.

http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Apps.html
Old April 26th, 2019, 11:02 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Montandon View Post
Basically, I'm looking for something on a phone that can sort of fill a similar (but obviously more basic) role as SP:MBT. Anyone come across any good hex based, or at least semi-realistic modern military tactics based games, that might work?

Because while I do have a few tower defense style games that are good for long hours of gameplay, it just isn't the same.
There are some good strategy games on NDS and 3DS. I know they are not phones. Still if you find a cheap "New 3DS XL" (New is part of the model name...) then I have a few great strategy titles I could suggest to you. The specific model can not only play NDS games too, but also has a larger screen and a second analog controller.
But I Can't suggest anything for a phone. I have only one game and that is a clone of a LCD game of a clone of tetris.

You could get (for your smartphone) get an Atari ST emulator. There are several great strategy games for that (I know as I play them for 30+ years now), but as I haven't installed one on a phone for years, I don't know how good they are or where to find them.
But if you do, Red Lightning, Conflict Korea, Conflict Middle East, Afrika Korps, and on and on.
Old April 28th, 2019, 03:02 PM

Private

jaywalker is on a distinguished road

Check out "Panzer Marshal", an iteration of the old "Panzer General" game. It's available for a number of platforms, including iOS, Android, Windows and Linux. Here's the link to the website:

https://openpanzer.itch.io/panzermarshal