.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 4th, 2013, 10:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Difficult scenarios & campaigns?

Yeah. I took too long getting to the the main objectives. Btw did you keep those two isolated VH's to the southeast? My AO was left between them as "insurance," but got wiped out. How sad.
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Difficult scenarios & campaigns?

53 Villers-Bocage, Normandy 6/44 is NOT a walk in the park for the German player. If you want to re-create history you need to be very, very, VERY lucky ( and skilled....)

If you go into that one thinking you are commanding invincible Tigers you will find out how very wrong you are in short order.

Don
Old May 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

@ Badger: Got a marginal loss out of #164 as well. The AI seized every VH but one; only time and terrain prevented a decisive. Nothing I could do to stop them.

On the topic of Italians, have you tried #31, "Never Seen Before"? You can get a marginal win if you play hide-and-seek with the Matildas, running around behind to pick up overrun but abandoned VH's. Sorta fun in a counter-intuitive way.

@ Roman: Replayed #28, picking up a marginal win this time (my shriveled manhood has been redeemed somewhat ). Rushed my guys into town pronto while leaving two squads at the isolated VH's and got lucky against an SPA on a bridge/VH hex.

Btw if you got ALL the VH's how come you didn't get a decisive? The German units aren't that valuable (unless you lost your AO and most everybody else). I lost two bridge VH's just outside of the main town. If I held 'em it would have been a crusher.

@ DRG: Roger that. After two or three tries I've yet to achieve a positive result. Tigers ain't exactly invulnerable...
Old May 7th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Private

Badger is on a distinguished road

@ Jivemi: On the #72 Sacrifice of the Few I managed to knock out part of the tank force by getting some (lucky) hits with the inf. guns before they reached the ridgeline where all the tanks and mized vehicles are in the beginning.

I assembled every vehicle with any kind of AT capability at the ridgeline (the two Gerat 81's are your most valuable asset in this scenario IMO), while sending the vehicles armed with only MGs to the southeast to fend off infantry and two vehicles to destroy the enemy artillery positions. Infantry was being used mainly to close assault the tanks. Most of my force was annihilated, but i managed to keep the enemy out of the VH's.

In scenario "28 I really didnt know what to expect, in the initial landing one of my gliders crash-landed so lost one team from the outset. I was wondering why there were so many turns and so few enemies. Had to make a hard choice not to leave any "rearguards" at the first village because I had so few forces, I figured if they recapture it I can easily go back via the road. Captured the second village and repulsed the first attack there with relative ease.

HOWEVER, the enemy recaptured the south-eastern village, so I sent one rifle platoon there, and of course the AI counterattacked to the northwestern village, while I basically had only two battered ones to counter them.

Well, turned out that all hell broke loose pretty soon. My troops were fighting house-to-house taking heavy casualties. i did have an ambush in place to salvage the whole thing, but as one of the tanks drove to the last VH the game sadly ended before that (I think it was turn 25 or smth). The results was therefore marginal loss...

I think the scenario is winnable the second time, but it won't be so interesting if you know whats going to happen!
The Following User Says Thank You to Badger For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:20 AM

Second Lieutenant

@ Badger: Did as you suggested with scenario #72 and got a marginal win. Not exactly astonishing since on the fourth go I knew pretty much what the enemy were gonna do.

Btw if you want some assault challenges you might try #065-Iwo Jima: Take Suribachi and #189-DAK: Fall of Tobruk. The first one has plenty of turns (34) but your armor is repeatedly getting stuck in volcanic ash or captured trenches, while your Marines can hardly move more than one hex per turn in the cratered moonscape. Plus they're constantly getting suppressed by artillery (sometimes your own ) so it feels like you're in a swamp. Result was a draw.

The second one (Tobruk) is fairly wide-open, except for some soft sand, and the terrain is mostly flat. Plus there's tons of air and artillery support. But you've only got 12 turns to secure 16-17 widespread objectives. It takes awhile for infantry to discover mines and watch out for AT guns (even so I lost 8 tanks ). Just when I broke into the British position the battle ended in a draw. Next time I'll have some infantry ride tanks, trying for an "end-around."