This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old November 10th, 2006, 01:45 PM

Corporal

neofit is on a distinguished road
Default \"Share minefield codes\" clause

I've got a treaty with an empire that has a "share minefield codes" clause. I didn't really want to include it, but it took me about 20 turns of counter-proposals to its totally random counter-counter-proposals for it to accept something with a non-aggression clause. I of course intend to kick its behind shortly, but I am wondering: when I declare war, will he still be able to move through my minefields unharmed? As in, is it assumed that I am creating minefields with an option to change the codes on them at will? Or, as soon as a treaty with this clause is broken, or changed to a another treaty without this clause, will all my minefields become 'hostile' to him?

Also, is this clause necessary for an empire not to be harmed by my minefields, even if we have a non-aggression or mutual defense clause in our treaty? As of 1.13 it's really difficult to agree with an AI about anything, they keep bombarding me with completely different and seemingly random requirement one turn after another. So if by chance I manage to agree to a "Non-aggression in all systems" clause, I wouldn't like him to be harmed by my minefields, nor would I like to spend another 20 turns trying to squeeze the minefields clause in.

Also, I have a treaty with the Xi-Chung Hive with a "Mutual Defense Pact" clause, but the only sub-option under it, "Empires will assist each other militarily when attacked" is not checked. Does this mean that we DO have a mutual defense pact, but we do NOT need to assist each other, or is is assumed that we do? And does this clause only work when war is declared upon one of us, and what happens if one of use declares war? And if one of us declares war because of a defense pact with another empire? Shouldn't we have a clause like "will support all war efforts by empire"?
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"Share minefield codes\" clause

Once you break the treaty, he can't get through the mines. And I think it -is- required for the kines not to blow them up.

If a sub-option isn't checked, the treaty isn't enforced.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

As a bonus question: What exactly does the 'Empires will assist each other militarily when attacked' clause do?
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:15 PM

It might determine who shoots at who if you're in combat with multiple empires at the same time.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Raapys is on a distinguished road

So, it's possible to have an ally you have non-aggression pact with to actually fight you, if you happen to enter a system where there's your ally and an enemy which has a 'military assistance' pact with your ally? The non-aggression pact only matter in the system-view when determining if combats start when you enter an occupied hex?
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Phoenix-D said:
It might determine who shoots at who if you're in combat with multiple empires at the same time.
hehe, I love the "might" . But on the diplomatic front, might he be a tiny bit enclined to send a few ships if I am being attacked? Or be a bit displeased if I don't help him when he is? At least by design?
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM

I haven't tested it and I haven't checked the documentation.

-Digger
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Phoenix-D said:
I haven't tested it and I haven't checked the documentation.
According to the paper manual it's what you said, e.g. who shoots at whom during combat. I just hoped there were also some diplomatic consequences that did not made it into the manual.