.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old January 3rd, 2010, 07:27 PM

Private

alansmithee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer: Wood Elves

I should have an update this week. Just got back to my home computer. I didn't know about the magicboost command (is it in the guidebook?) so I'll add that. Same for the "female" tag (I saw it now, must've missed it before, didn't know it mattered).

Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:24 AM

Corporal

mehrunes_dagon is on a distinguished road
Exclamation shadow weaver

$subj is unable to lead anyone, including undead he auto-summons

alansmithee, is this bug or feature?
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:46 AM

Corporal

Disk Warhammer: Wood Elves - after-action report

Played one game to the end.

Vampire Queen, awoke, with 4 astral/nature/fire, sloth 3, disorder 3, luck 3

Played on Epotara with Warhammer six and conceptual balance mods against difficult AI

My capital city happened to be on a swamp, so i had financial problems in the beginning

I was attacked by Jomon early in the game. Slowly defeated him by hordes of Wild hunters/Wild riders with help of treekin, suffering heavy losses. Mummies of wild hunters, undead prophet and dust priests animated undead for me

The wild horses never routed and preferred to die honorably. So i only attacked with bigger force, and thus expanded slowly

In the middle of the Jomon war, when half of Hall of fame was mine, Arcocephale attacked me. I sent three queens of water and lots of undead and took her capital which happened to be near.

I was playing defensively, spending all gems for summoning troops and empowering ether lord. Since there was not much forest around, most of my nature gems went to faerie courts and wraith lord equipment. When Brettonia attacked me, i actively defended my territory, mostly with local defense, wraith lords and one group of flying thunderstrikes, while kokythiads helped water queens to finish Arcocephale.

Combat-useful summons, big investments in local province defense and global enchantments (gift of health, strands of arcane power) helped a lot. Without them, Brettonia would have eaten me quickly.

With no real threat besides Brettonia, big income of undead troops, gems and money, high-level summons, and since Brettonia was not using magic in combat, I captured all Brettonia territory and won game (by victory points)

Waging war in more than one direction appears to be difficult. Fighting against heavily protected and tough troops (not dying after 2 strikes of Kurnous' shard) is hard. But, defending territory is easy due to effective local defense. Playing without spies (bringing accurate military report) is dangerous and difficult

On the whole the wood race is slightly under-powered. Can be played against AI with some difficulties. I believe wood elves would not survive long enough to learn conjuration 9 in multi-player
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:28 AM

Private

alansmithee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer: Wood Elves - after-action report

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrunes_dagon View Post
Played one game to the end.

Vampire Queen, awoke, with 4 astral/nature/fire, sloth 3, disorder 3, luck 3

Played on Epotara with Warhammer six and conceptual balance mods against difficult AI

My capital city happened to be on a swamp, so i had financial problems in the beginning

I was attacked by Jomon early in the game. Slowly defeated him by hordes of Wild hunters/Wild riders with help of treekin, suffering heavy losses. Mummies of wild hunters, undead prophet and dust priests animated undead for me

The wild horses never routed and preferred to die honorably. So i only attacked with bigger force, and thus expanded slowly

In the middle of the Jomon war, when half of Hall of fame was mine, Arcocephale attacked me. I sent three queens of water and lots of undead and took her capital which happened to be near.

I was playing defensively, spending all gems for summoning troops and empowering ether lord. Since there was not much forest around, most of my nature gems went to faerie courts and wraith lord equipment. When Brettonia attacked me, i actively defended my territory, mostly with local defense, wraith lords and one group of flying thunderstrikes, while kokythiads helped water queens to finish Arcocephale.

Combat-useful summons, big investments in local province defense and global enchantments (gift of health, strands of arcane power) helped a lot. Without them, Brettonia would have eaten me quickly.

With no real threat besides Brettonia, big income of undead troops, gems and money, high-level summons, and since Brettonia was not using magic in combat, I captured all Brettonia territory and won game (by victory points)

Waging war in more than one direction appears to be difficult. Fighting against heavily protected and tough troops (not dying after 2 strikes of Kurnous' shard) is hard. But, defending territory is easy due to effective local defense. Playing without spies (bringing accurate military report) is dangerous and difficult

On the whole the wood race is slightly under-powered. Can be played against AI with some difficulties. I believe wood elves would not survive long enough to learn conjuration 9 in multi-player
Thanks for all your testing. I really appreciate it. Also, before I make some comments the noleader on the heroes is intentional. I need mindless to make Orion unbreakable, and the other hero is shunned by society, but doesn't actually invite the spirits to follow him. I kinda took a little liberty creating him from the WE army book, but I think that's how one of the casters tempted by the evil spirits would be.

As for your testing, I have some questions. For one, why the vamp queen? I think with such a weak bless and low gold from your scales, using the wild riders to expand wouldn't be optimal. My intent in design was to allow for either a strong bless (using wild riders/war dancers and also your sacred summons), or to go more scales if you want and expand with archers/wall. Also, with your casters you have your choice of alteration (to buff your troops) or evocation (blast with air magic). All the units have fairly high stats (atk/def/pre) so with buffing their armor they should be pretty durable. Strength of giants and weapons of sharpness should help cut through high armor (or the high national spell, but that's alt 8 iirc). And as for spies, it seems many nations don't have actual spies. A lot of your units are able to sneak, so you should have some intel (or hiring indy scouts is always an option).

I'll look at balancing more, what are some areas you feel could/should be improved to make them more on equal footing? I'll see about adding things to the next update if it's necessary.
Old January 7th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Corporal

Lock Re: Warhammer: Wood Elves

Yes, my pretender is not optimal for the race

I planned to hire some useful independent mages and sacred troops, but found none

As for your suggestion to use WE natinal mages as offensive air spellers, it seems me to costly. I don't believe i could afford that in the game.
Old January 10th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Corporal

Joelz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warhammer: Wood Elves

Just played a short game with all warhammer races and happened to notice that both Bretonnia and Wood Elves have the same shade of green as their nation's score graph line.
It doesn't cause much confusion though since you can just deactivate the other one to see which one is which. Just thought to point it out.