Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM

Private

aehchua is on a distinguished road
Default Capabilities of different units

I'd just like to ask what all the different unit types do. I'm especially interested in "hidden" capabilities, like how the FO reduces the artillery shell transit time, or how ordinance transports reload ammo, or how engineers can clear mines more effectively.

For example, what is the purpose of a mobile command post like the M577CV? It doesn't shoot, and comes in pairs. If I wanted to bring my HQ around, I could just use an M113. Also, there's a leftover M577CV that doesn't get loaded up.

Similarly, why would one want to purchase cavalry scouts instead of regular infantry?

What is the value of an airstrike in game terms? I find artillery tends to do a better job of hitting and suppressing what I want to hit and suppress. Definitely artillery is immune to AA interference? Is it that some aircraft seek targets?

Why would one want to recruit snipers? Do they give a higher morale penalty for each hit?

Also...

How do you use barge vehicles effectively? I find they are incredibly slow so that it isn't worthwhile using them. Your whole force waits by the river until they get there. You deploy the barge, send the tank across, send the barge back, send the tank across...

How do you use engineers effectively? They take forever to clear mines.

Is there a way to change the loadout of a vehicle/infantry between missions without having to change the vehicle?

Signals units (e.g., dedicated Signals battalions) don't seem to be well represented. I assume we just model them as trucks?
Old June 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Capabilities of different units

Quote:
aehchua said:
I'd just like to ask what all the different unit types do. I'm especially interested in "hidden" capabilities, like how the FO reduces the artillery shell transit time, or how ordinance transports reload ammo, or how engineers can clear mines more effectively.

For example, what is the purpose of a mobile command post like the M577CV? It doesn't shoot, and comes in pairs. If I wanted to bring my HQ around, I could just use an M113. Also, there's a leftover M577CV that doesn't get loaded up.

Well, if you wanted to adhere reality, you should use 'em for HQ rather than M113.

Quote:

Similarly, why would one want to purchase cavalry scouts instead of regular infantry?

Scouts do have scouting bonus, size of 0 and few men, all combining into the fact they are hard to spot and have good chance of spotting enemy before being seen themselves. This applies to all scouts, Cav or not.

Quote:

What is the value of an airstrike in game terms? I find artillery tends to do a better job of hitting and suppressing what I want to hit and suppress. Definitely artillery is immune to AA interference? Is it that some aircraft seek targets?

Aircrafts seek targets and with a lucky bomb hit (esp. with enormous bomb splash damage zone) they can be very deadly. As in real live.

Quote:

Why would one want to recruit snipers? Do they give a higher morale penalty for each hit?

They are sneaky, accurate and so on. Usually better for scouting than for actual battle.

Quote:

Also...

How do you use barge vehicles effectively? I find they are incredibly slow so that it isn't worthwhile using them. Your whole force waits by the river until they get there. You deploy the barge, send the tank across, send the barge back, send the tank across...

This operation doesn't go too quickly even IRL

Quote:

How do you use engineers effectively? They take forever to clear mines.

See above.

Quote:

Is there a way to change the loadout of a vehicle/infantry between missions without having to change the vehicle?

Nope

Quote:

Signals units (e.g., dedicated Signals battalions) don't seem to be well represented. I assume we just model them as trucks?
If you need them, otherwise they have no combat value etc.
Old June 27th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Corporal

Sniper23 is on a distinguished road

stupid question,does snipers have increas spotting like scouts?
Old June 27th, 2008, 10:57 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Snipers do not have any special spotting abilities, nor do scouts or any other recce. Some OOBs may give the formation 5 experience points over average - which may help.

Andy
Old June 28th, 2008, 03:30 AM

Major

Marek_Tucan is on a distinguished road

The extra XP was what I meant by scouting bonus, sorry for mudding the waters a bit...
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:16 AM

Corporal

Sniper23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Mobhack said:
Snipers do not have any special spotting abilities, nor do scouts or any other recce. Some OOBs may give the formation 5 experience points over average - which may help.

Andy
O.k Thanks,like i said,stupid question